Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kaio plays PoP trilogy

Go down 
+4
Kaede
A_Nonny_Moose
Superbuu3
Kaio
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

Kaio plays PoP trilogy Empty
PostSubject: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 6:54 pm

Starting Sands of Time now.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 7:02 pm

what the fuck

this game just literally crashed my ps3
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 7:10 pm

Okay, it's working again after I had to replug my PS3.

Installing now.

Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 11:16 pm

Played for three hours and I'm already on 50%.

I remember this game being a lot harder when I was a kid.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 1:24 am

Kaio wrote:
Played for three hours and I'm already on 50%.

I remember this game being a lot harder when I was a kid.

Second playtrhough of the first one is just laughable, the other ones have a helluva lot of traps, especially the secret areas.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 1:32 am

I never played the second and third.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 1:37 am

Oh man i wish i could be playing these for the first time again.

The second and third have some ludicrous parts, the difficulty curve kinda goes up for the whole trilogy. Seriously though warrior within combat engine sexiest thing ever made, no idea why no one has ripped it off it was the most fun combat i've seen in a platformer.

There's some really nice additions in the later games. Even if they miss out on some awesome that was in the first.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 2:18 pm

Mine just arrived.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 2:37 pm

Wow, Sands of Time looks great. I mean the character models and such are obviously last gen, but the HD resolution more than makes up for it. It looks incredibly crisp.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 2:39 pm

Also, it has the context-sensitive jump thing? Seriously? The way buu were ragging on Enslaved and always praising, that was the last thing I expected.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 2:46 pm

The combat is very nice though.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 1:14 am

75% now.

The combat is getting a bit stale. The fact that you only have a handful of moves really makes the battles tiresome.

The platforming continues to be fantastic though.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 2:08 am

Oh God this Persian guy (who somehow has a Londoner accent) yelling at me during this gear puzzle is driving me nuts.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 2:37 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
The combat is very nice though.
Fuck that. It's already tiresome.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 3:13 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
Also, it has the context-sensitive jump thing? Seriously? The way buu were ragging on Enslaved and always praising, that was the last thing I expected.
What are you talking about? Its really easy to plummet to your death in this.

Half the fun is breaking the good old princes neck. Also you seem to be unable to tell the difference from uncharted and enslaved, considering uncharted copied this game and enslaved did something weird.

Also see Yahtzee's review of enslaved if you don't get what i'm getting at. He was another huge fan of SoT.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 3:18 am

When have I compared Uncharted to Enslaved? Only being able to jump when you reach a ledge isn't something I associate with platformers is all I'm saying. I like freedom of movement.

Still a fun game though. Combat would be more enjoyable if the enemies didn't respawn so much. It really drags.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 3:22 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
When have I compared Uncharted to Enslaved? Only being able to jump when you reach a ledge isn't something I associate with platformers is all I'm saying. I like freedom of movement.

Still a fun game though. Combat would be more enjoyable if the enemies didn't respawn so much. It really drags.

I'm saying movement in PoP is the same as uncharted ( saying enslaved = PoP is saying Enslaved = Uncharted, drake and Prince even have the same retarded on the spot jumps) and you can jump whereever you like in PoP, so i'm not sure what your talking about.

Also wall run Plus jump i think that indicated a large part of freedom. If it weren;t for the visions you'd feel a lot more freedom in what you were doing. Luckily no visions in the later games which was a huge improvement.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 3:47 am

Superbuu3 wrote:
and you can jump whereever you like in PoP, so i'm not sure what your talking about
No you can't. Well, you can, but you'll end up dead unless you stick to the only path available. I prefer when there isn't a single exact path to follow, and only one exact way to follow it. It's not very satisfying to complete a platforming section because there's no freedom in it. It's paint-by-numbers platforming.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 3:51 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
Superbuu3 wrote:
and you can jump whereever you like in PoP, so i'm not sure what your talking about
No you can't. Well, you can, but you'll end up dead unless you stick to the only path available. I prefer when there isn't a single exact path to follow, and only one exact way to follow it. It's not very satisfying to complete a platforming section because there's no freedom in it. It's paint-by-numbers platforming.
but errors can be made, how many platformers can you think of with more then one route to the target area. At most you might get a hidden platform with a collectible but they rarely have more then one way to navigate a route. Thats nit-picking. Also there is a lot of skill needed in the platforming, you can easily mistime jumps dud to having to use wallruns crumbling scenery and other stuff.

Also the sequels have hidden areas

Quote :
Enslaved?
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 4:04 am

I'm not talking about multiple routes. I'm just talking about being able to move freely through the level. You could watch 100 different people play through the game each platforming section would look exactly the same, because each one is just a very specific sequence of moves and if you do anything else you die or can't advance.

It's just... play practically any other platformer and the difference should be obvious. Linear level design isn't the issue, it's the linear platforming mechanics.

It's a fun game. I'm enjoying it. It just doesn't really feel like a platformer.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 4:21 am

Are you talking about stuff like spyro where you have possibly three goals in a level?

Those games rarely had any difficult platforming though. Game structure changes when you put in more elaborate platforming like this as the game designers want players to go through every dingle puzzle if they bothered to make it. Although that said it wouldn't have hurt to hide the sword upgrades or something.

If you want freedom in platforming the only game i can think of that did it well is mirrors edge as thats PoP in first person, with the obvious pitfalls of judging distances with a first person camera but if you compare a pro runner to a beginner you'll see the insane shit you can do, its less then a fiver you should check it out.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 4:36 am

I said I wasn't talking about the level design, but the platforming mechanics. Surely you can see the difference between how something like Spyro works and how this works? The platforming is just so set in stone in this game. There is only one way to do it. It's like a code or a QTE.

Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 4:39 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
I said I wasn't talking about the level design, but the platforming mechanics. Surely you can see the difference between how something like Spyro works and how this works? The platforming is just so set in stone in this game. There is only one way to do it. It's like a code or a QTE.

I get what your talking about. but games with the classic spyro structure are few and far between. Aside from Ratchet and clank which is made by the same people.

Aside from like Sly 4 i can't think of any good games that would actually have that kind of thing that have been made recently.

Also you did say how people would do it the same, Mirror's edge seeing two people play it identically would be rare.

...seriously its like a QTE? In enslaved you could close your eyes and randomly press x while spinning the joystick i'm pretty sure you even said you can't go back the way you came.

Try that in PoP.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 4:44 am

I wouldn't call Enslaved a platformer either.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
I wouldn't call Enslaved a platformer either.
you also said the combat was nothing it was based arounud either, so apparently its nothing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kaio plays PoP trilogy   Kaio plays PoP trilogy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kaio plays PoP trilogy
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next