Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Got Street Fighter IV

Go down 
+8
Maskull
Goldninja
Kaede
Baal
Kimarous
Golden Boy
Rockstar_Sinistar
SimianWonder
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

Got Street Fighter IV Empty
PostSubject: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 11:40 am

First things first, God damn is that theme song ever catchy. I've been humming it all morning, it's like a one-hit wonder pop song that you just can't get out of your head.

I'm still not entirely sold on the graphical style, but at least it's consistent throughout the game, and the lip synching is horrendous, so I'm going to see if I can switch to Japanese voicework.

End boss Seth is cheap as hell too, seeming to predict what you're doing with almost scary precision. He's rather overpowered too, his crouching punch chaining into Zangief's Spinning Pile Driver, his kicks into Chun Li's Lightning Kick, and he can chain Dragon Punches together. The first round is always a cinch, but then he destroys you after that.

Seems fun so far, but I'm obviously missing something on the game mechanics, as it seems a little basic so far. Maybe I should read the manual?
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 11:55 am

Incidentally, Ryu is voiced by Kyle Hebert, and Laura Bailey does Chun Li.

EDIT: On the subject of dub voices, once you've cleared arcade mode, you can choose to change the voices. However, it's much better than simply English or Jap. You can, for example, choose to have the cutscenes in English, and the in fight Voices as Jap if you so choose, and you can even set it all individually, so Chun Li and Ryu can be Japanese, and Guile and Akuma English. A nice touch. Oh, and I read the manual. I was missing loads. Smile

Oh God, I hate Seth. So grossly overpowered.
Back to top Go down
Rockstar_Sinistar
Gary
Rockstar_Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:49 pm

Cool, Cool, and Cool! Very Happy

Guile in English, Ryu, Akuma, & Chun Li in Japanese with Ken in English. XD That'll be my set up. Very Happy Is English and Japanese all they have? I think it'd be cool to have Bison (If he's in it) speak German. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://thepit.forumotion.com/
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:20 pm

Bison's in, and yeah, it's just English and Japanese.

I've been playing a bit with the new fighters. Crimson Viper is powered by her suit, and has a few flaming / electrical type move, but she lacks a bit of range, and I can see her struggling against a fireball spammer. Abel is big and strong, and has plenty of throw moves, he's like a quicker Zangief. El Fuerte is my favourite of the bunch, he's like Rey Mysterio on steroids. Rufus is a fat bloke, with a wobbly stomach, and he's quicker than he looks, his specials being...well, the're odd.

Also, is it just me, or does Rose look like CSI's Lady Heather, at least in her portrait?
Back to top Go down
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:25 pm

What modes does it offer other than arcade and online?
Back to top Go down
Rockstar_Sinistar
Gary
Rockstar_Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:26 pm

Who's Rose? scratch
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 3:23 pm

Quote :
What modes does it offer other than arcade and online?

Arcade, Vs, Online and Challenge mode. Challenge requires you to finish under specific conditions.

Quote :
Who's Rose?

She was also in SF Alpha / Zero.
Back to top Go down
Kimarous
CP9 Agent
Kimarous

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:25 pm

Appropriate voiceover based on origin?

I don't think I've seen that since way back in Soul Blade! Shocked
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 5:00 pm

I've just unlocked Akuma.

Good grief, I can see why he's everywhere online; he's a monster. Even Seth was no trouble with him.

His move priority is higher than most, he's got all his old moves, including air fireballs, teleport and Raging Demon, and his power is a notch above Ryu or Ken.

On the subject of his Raging Demon, the 'Ultra' Moves are much more cinematic this time, with Fei Long's reminding me of Yun Seoung's Ultimate attack in SCIV.
Back to top Go down
Rockstar_Sinistar
Gary
Rockstar_Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 5:31 pm

The Best Raging Demon isn't even an official version. It's on MUGEN and performed by an edit called Rare Akuma. The best, IMO. At random times, When he wins or loses, The screen will go black and white and some random dude will say some quote.

Case in point, When he wins (There are no ifs, 9 out of 10 times, He OWNS his opponent in less than 5 seconds.) The dude goes, "I can't believe what just happened. Now it seems Tokyo HAS no defense."

And if he loses, "The menace is gone, And so was a great man. ...But the whole wrold can wake up and live again."

Pure Awesomeness. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Akuma has two different variants of it here.

The 'Super' version, is the usual command Jab x2, forward, light kick, fierce punch. The damage is rather toned down though.

The 'Ultra' version, is jab x2, backwards, light kick, fierce punch. It's devastating. Like half a health bar devastating. This one looks a little different to standard though; Akuma moves at speed towards them, then says 'Die 1000 deaths!'. The screen disappears behind the wall of light, amid numerous hits, then Akuma is shown standing over his foe, wittout the Kanji in the background that the Super variant gives.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 7:41 pm

I've just spent some time with the Challenge mode, and it's character specific trials. Some of the combos are insane; forget what I said about the game lacking depth, it's an ocean. I love it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 12:06 am

I WILL HAVE IT AT SOME POINT THIS WEEK!

AND SIMIAN! I'M GETTING BROADBAND SOON! SO I'LL PLAY YOU AND KICK YOUR ASS!!!
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 8:23 am

FUCK YEAH!

Should I make my brother get it used? I kinda wanna play it
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 am

DevilKingBaal wrote:

AND SIMIAN! I'M GETTING BROADBAND SOON! SO I'LL PLAY YOU AND KICK YOUR ASS!!!

All I get is talk and no action! You must not be too concerned about your friend, who's probably dead by now!

Bring it!
Back to top Go down
Goldninja
East Blue Pirate Captain
Goldninja

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 2:39 pm

Glad to hear good things about this. I'm pretty sure there's a PC version in the works. Capcom in house worked on DMC4 and also working on this and RE5 for PC, so it should be good.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 2:55 pm

The challenge mode is a real time guzzler. Smile

My only real criticism thus far is the online mode. I cannot find anyone with a decent connection, and when I do, I'm simply refused entry to the lobby. I tried creating my own, but waited about fifteen minutes with not a soul trying to join.

So, I haven't actually got to fight online yet.

Touching further on the new characters, I really don't like Rufus. It's not that he's useless, because he's certainly not, but he just looks really odd, and his general character design is much weaker than the rest of the roster. Capcom were having a bad day when they gave the green light to him.

Just going back to the challenge mode briefly, it highlights the need for a decent arcade stick. There's a lot of high level combo's there, and the PS3 pad just into up to it. Sure, you'll have fun playing with the pad, but you'll only get so far. Online, I suspect an arcade stick would give you a tangible edge over the opposition. It makes me wish I could use my Dreamcast Arcade Sticks on the PS3, becuase those were just about perfect.
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 4:52 pm

just checked the roster. god i want this game.

and now i want them to take these characters and make another capcom vs SNK game with them Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 5:30 pm

Finally unlocked Seth, meaning I've now got the full roster. *phew!*

Unfortunately, Seth's rather watered down in human hands; his damage output has been halfed, and he takes on far more damage than any of the others, even Akuma. Fighting Seth vs Seth on 'easiest' in arcade mode, I needed to do two blow to the COM's one.

Still, he's very versatile, and some of his moves are cheap as hell, he's just not so overpowered as his AI equivalent.

Gouken's a beast though. Oddly, despite being Ryu and Ken's master, and Akuma's brother, his style is somewhat different. His moves are still activated with the usual motion, but his fireballis more like Sakura's, in that you can hold the punch button to strengthen it, and the choice of punch button changes the angle you fire at.

His dragon punch isn't a Dragon Punch, it's a dashing attack, a single punch that crumples your opponent, and his Hurricane Kick, rather than going horizontally, goes vertically. Perhaps the most interesting theing though, is his unique parries. B, D, DB then either punch or kick triggers a stance that blocks all physical attacks, then counters instantly. It's a very useful trick.

He plays more like Ryu than Ken, in that his combo potential seems a little limited, yet a few heavy blows can be the same as a ten string from Sakura or Chun Li. I've still not settled on a favourite character yet. Ryu, Ken and Akuma all seem obvious, yet Ryu doesn't combo as well as Ken, and Ken's blows lack Ryu's power, and Akuma, while very strong offensively, takes more damage in return, and his Raging Demon variants are difficult to chain into combos, unlike Ken or Ryu's.

Sagat seems to be very powerful, and Zangief has had a pretty decent hand this time around, but looking at the new fighters, it's Abel who really stands out, even if he is French. And has a really pointy nose.

Nerfs? Well, both Chun Li and Vega (the bull fighter) have had their power toned down somewhat, more in line with the original release of SF2, they're faster than most, but better at hit and run, and El Fuerte, while a lot of fun to play, and wildly unpredictable, really struggles to inflict much damage. Against the likes of Zangief, he needs to trade three-four attacks against one just to break even. I struggle to get a fluent style going with Gen, and Blanka seems lacklustre, his Cannonball Attack now no longer knocking the opponent down.
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 5:44 pm

i usually play as cammy and... well, thats about it.(in other SF games, at least)
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 6:02 pm

Cammy's pretty good.

I never really played as her much in previous games, so I can't say how she fares in comparison to Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, but she's got a decent moveset, she's pretty fast, and packs a fair punch. Plus, she's a Brit. Instant win. That, and she's always showing her arse. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 6:08 pm

SimianWonder wrote:
Cammy's pretty good.

I never really played as her much in previous games, so I can't say how she fares in comparison to Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, but she's got a decent moveset, she's pretty fast, and packs a fair punch. Plus, she's a Brit. Instant win. That, and she's always showing her arse. Very Happy
although the camo leg paint looks like some sort of flesh-eating infection in most of her pics Razz Sad
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 7:26 pm

I usually play as Sakura, Cammy, and well with this game I'll start playing as Ken a lot more often.
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 7:32 pm

DevilKingBaal wrote:
I usually play as Sakura, Cammy, and well with this game I'll start playing as Ken a lot more often.
i wanna play the KoF games now! orochi iori FT-fucking-W!

although street fighter is very good in it's own right...
Back to top Go down
Goldninja
East Blue Pirate Captain
Goldninja

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 8:27 pm

SimianWonder wrote:
Gouken's a beast though. Oddly, despite being Ryu and Ken's master, and Akuma's brother, his style is somewhat different. His moves are still activated with the usual motion, but his fireballis more like Sakura's, in that you can hold the punch button to strengthen it, and the choice of punch button changes the angle you fire at.

His dragon punch isn't a Dragon Punch, it's a dashing attack, a single punch that crumples your opponent, and his Hurricane Kick, rather than going horizontally, goes vertically. Perhaps the most interesting theing though, is his unique parries. B, D, DB then either punch or kick triggers a stance that blocks all physical attacks, then counters instantly. It's a very useful trick.

He plays more like Ryu than Ken, in that his combo potential seems a little limited, yet a few heavy blows can be the same as a ten string from Sakura or Chun Li. I've still not settled on a favourite character yet. Ryu, Ken and Akuma all seem obvious, yet Ryu doesn't combo as well as Ken, and Ken's blows lack Ryu's power, and Akuma, while very strong offensively, takes more damage in return, and his Raging Demon variants are difficult to chain into combos, unlike Ken or Ryu's.

Woah, Gouken is in this game? I thought he was killed or something well before the events of SFII. Is he a bonus character or is he actually part of the story? I know story isn't exactly a big deal in the SF series but it's there at least. Damn, now I want to play this game and check him out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got Street Fighter IV   Got Street Fighter IV Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Got Street Fighter IV
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next