Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes

Go down 
+6
Superbuu3
Kaede
Eevil-Psycho
Baal
brandon
Casa
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 6:49 pm

Baal wrote:
I'm sure the actual you has a much nicer face.
I'll take that as a compliment. Since I have a good looking avatar.

Eevil-Psycho wrote:
Superbuu3 wrote:
your signature is hypnotic
go nuts:

Spoiler:
Entertaining and informative.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 3:34 pm

http://www.psu.com/a020995/Metal-Gear-Solid-V-TGS-demo-confirmed-unpredictable-AI-may-cause-Hideo-Kojima-a-headache

I guess that's kind of cool in a way.. predictable A.I. is one of the reasons I hate replaying games, cause you know when and where people are gonna be or come from.
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 10:51 am

Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 8:06 am

just beat this. i think my third testicle just dropped. main mission took me just over 1 hour with a B rank. 3 detections and 7 kills. this game is absolutely beautiful. there was one part that was disgusting to the point i cringed needed had to look away for a bit. can't wait for phantom pain
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 2:42 pm

did you play on PS3 or PS4 ?

it's not out here yet, but I'm getting the PS4 version, I'm expecting it to be really beautiful too.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 10:10 pm

ps3
Back to top Go down
Rockstar_Sinistar
Gary
Rockstar_Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 9:37 am

Back to top Go down
http://thepit.forumotion.com/
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 2:07 pm

Finished GZ with about 92 minutes and an A rank. No kills, no alerts, an man was it all really fun. The 60 FPS and faster gameplay is fantastic and I cannot wait for Phantom Pain.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 3:00 pm

Are the Chico tapes as offensive as 'qualified' journalists are making out or are they just getting their underwear in a twist over a depiction of a horrible thing that actually happens in war?
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 4:12 pm

I haven't heard those ones yet. I plan to play the game some more when I get home tonight and go on a collectible hunt.
Back to top Go down
Rockstar_Sinistar
Gary
Rockstar_Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 7:42 pm

Neo wrote:
Are the Chico tapes as offensive as 'qualified' journalists are making out or are they just getting their underwear in a twist over a depiction of a horrible thing that actually happens in war?

If what they say is true, Then it's only as offensive as one makes it out to be.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://thepit.forumotion.com/
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 7:46 pm

Neo wrote:
it can be a bit disturbing.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 8:40 pm

man I suck at this, it's been too long since I've played a decent MGS game, gotta get back into it.. I think MGS4 is the last time I've played one.. (except for Rising, but that doesn't really count)
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 12:23 pm

to be honest, I really like Kiefer Sutherland as Snake..thought I was gonna miss David Hayter as Snake's voice, but somehow Kiefer seems to be a good fit.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 2:32 pm

Rockstar_Sinistar wrote:
Neo wrote:

If what they say is true, Then it's only as offensive as one makes it out to be.

Spoiler:
That's actually pretty fucked up and even kind of a bit much for Metal Gear. I mean it sort of fits with the tone they're trying to set for Big Boss' turning evil, but like... heavy swears were not a thing Metal Gear had until MGS4 and even that had only a bit of it. It seems a bit ridiculous for this series that is while serious, to be suddenly throwing rape and horrible gore as drama.

I mean the game is good and I think the story seems genuinely interesting, but this kind of thing is honestly a bit much.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 3:00 pm

It's not the first time torture has been depicted in MGS, nor is it the first time there's been an implied rape. It's awful but the point of the whole series has always been that war is shit and brings out the absolute worst in humanity.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 3:09 pm

That's not the problem, I don't have a problem with torture being depicted. It's different when you bring rape into it and then use that as drama. That kind of thing has a place in certain mediums and with certain writing, but not in Metal Gear where it's played for drama and to make the villain more evil. You can get your point across without going to that level and the series did a good job of doing that without it.

I'm sure the story will be fine and this is just a thing done for Ground Zeroes, but like this series hasn't gotten to THIS LEVEL of horrible war shit before and it's just showing a shift in drastic tones with the character becoming who he becomes. I think it's a fitting shift, I just wish Kojima didn't feel the need to go to rape to help that process along.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 3:35 pm

It does seem a little bit ham-fisted and is clearly designed to make the player empathise with Snake wanting to kill Skull Face at any cost but I don't know if I'd agree that it's any worse than some of the BB Corps backstories. It's not like it excuses anything but at least Skull Face did what he did for a reason, whereas what happened to Octopus and Raven was completely pointless cruelty.

E: I should acknowledge that, while I don't think this is a a new level of horrible things in MGS, it is the first time it's been directly shown to the player even if there was no visual depiction. All the BB Corps stuff was referenced offhand in Drebin's reports so I can see how it being more upfront could be jarring.

EE: I dunno if I'd expect Phantom Pain to be any lighter to be honest, at the very least we're going to see child soldiers and whatever happened/will happen to Quiet which is supposedly pretty bad if Kojima is to be believed.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 8:59 am

There are so many theories going around I can't tell which ones are actually within the realms of possibility and which are just stupid people reading into every little thing Kojima does.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 11:44 am

what the fuck
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2014 2:28 am

MGS fans are nuts, man.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2014 6:07 pm

Spoiler:

I'm sure there are even crazier ones.
Back to top Go down
Casa
RULES OF NATURE
Casa

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 11:50 am

I finally bought this thanks to the Christmas sale reducing the price to just 7 bucks. I held out this long because I knew I would hate myself for buying what is essentially a demo for 40 bucks. I was actually planning on waiting until The Phantom Pain came out, just because I suspected (and still suspect) that GZ will be bundled together with TPP for free anyway. But when I saw the deal, I decided that this was almost as good as free.

I just finished my first playthrough. It took me a couple of hours, since I played it slow and took my time exploring, saving the prisoners, searching for patches, etc. I knew that the game had gotten slammed for its short length so I decided to make the most of it. I got an A rank, which I'm pretty happy with. No kill and no alerts naturally (i am the real big boss) but I was "discovered" a couple of times. I will be especially glad if that doesn't affect your rank, because it means a return to the MGS2 system where a guard could see you but if you neutralize them quickly enough, the alert doesn't occur and your rank is unaffected. I always hated in MGS3, MGS4, and PW that one guard spotting you instantly alerted every single person in a four mile radius.

I really like the new gameplay. MGS4 had a great engine but the game never really gave you the opportunity to use half the shit you could do and the incredibly linear levels (after Act 1 and 2) discouraged exploration and any kind of in-depth use of the mechanics. The only place you really got to cut loose was in Metal Gear Online, but only if you were screwing around. In a competitive match, most stuff (going in dumpsters, corner shooting, rolling on your back for any reason, plus every other action that wasn't some variation of "aim and shoot the head" at a distance or "slam and stab" at close quarters) would get you killed.

This was not the case in GZ, where there's a million different gameplay features and I used most of them in my first run (or at least I feel I did). I am still getting the hang of most of them, and it took me a little while to get used to some of the mechanics, but it's starting to feel very natural and fluid.The menu screen tells me I have now completed 10% of the games content, so I have to lot forward to apparently. If TPP is just more maps like this but with a story as well I'll be well happy.

Can't really comment on the story as-is in GV, just because it's all old to me since it was spoiled in that one trailer like two years ago. Neat trick with the bomb, although horrible. I still haven't found all the tapes, so I guess I don't know everything yet.

If I'd bought this game at full price I know I would have been down on it, so I pat myself on the back for suppressing my desperate Metal Gear devotion and waiting for this price reduction. If anyone else has held off this long, I'd advise you get it since under 10 bucks, this game is a steal. In a couple days it goes back up to $20, which I think might be a bit much, so get it now.

The only thing I didn't really like was Kiefer, and I have to say even that was a limited complaint. The switch from Hayter was not nearly as jarring as I was expecting it to be. In fact, I found that Kaz sounded way more out of place (but only in one scene: on board the helicopter at the end where he kept saying "bitch" and being all-around very melodramatic). The only reason I don't like Keifer in the role is my inner pedant/fanboy laments the loss of the voice I associate with the character and the inconsistency of switching the voice after more than fifteen years. In terms of quality/acting ability/general immersion though I can't complain.
Back to top Go down
Casa
RULES OF NATURE
Casa

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2015 7:58 am

Finished this game 100%. Gameplay-wise, the only mission I didn't like was Rescue Intel Operative because the MGS series does not lend itself to on-rails shooters yet nevertheless since MGS3 they have been shoehorned into every game and are always the worst part (the MGS4 Bike Chase especially). It's not a bad mission, it's just I have no desire to replay it unlike all the other missions.

Since I've finished the game, I now know the full story. I can kind of see where people are coming from with regards to the controversy, because GZ does represent a shift in tone from the previous entries in the Metal Gear series. Yes, when you look at what happens to Chico and Paz and then think this is the same story where Big Boss believes in Santa and is afraid of vampires it is an unfortunate juxtaposition. But in Ground Zeroes the subject matter is treated only as serious; the traditional lighthearted moments that pervade the series have been relegated to certain side-ops, which allows the brutality of XOF and Not!Guantanamo to be treated with the weight it should be in the main (canon) mission. Not to mention that the series has always been rooted in discussions of war and society, so while there is a difference in tone in GZ I don't think it is that large of a thematic leap. Thus, I don't see a problem with the series trying to evolve beyond the games that came before it so that it can present a more critical and poignant gaming experience.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes   Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3