Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Go down 
+12
Talking Sock
Casa
Old School
Eevil-Psycho
Rockstar_Sinistar
Golden Boy
Ellis
Kaede
A_Nonny_Moose
Neo
Baal
Superbuu3
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 3:35 pm

You can dodge by pressing X+Square or the equivalent on the 360 controller. Gekkos are beaten by attacking the head while jumping so you can chop them to bits. Using parry works on everything, you can even use it in the air. The dog boss is fucking easy as dirt, you act like you've never fought a boss that basically throws himself at you in a hack 'n slash game before, dude.

I mean, Revengeance doesn't have a dedicated defense feature except for Parry, which also used for offense. Revengeance is a game based solely in how offensive you can be and how much you can stomp your opponent into the dirt, you are not meant to play it safe, you are meant to get in your opponent's face and chop them to little pieces.

If you don't like the style of the game, fair enough, but you should not be having a war of attrition in a combat system that awards aggressiveness over playing it safe.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 3:41 pm

Someone on GFAQs said to try that, but it still isn't a dodge per se, it's just Raiden taking a step to one side while attacking. Against the dog-bot, you still get get hit and hurt. Maybe it's just me, but I find the controls completely unintuitive, which is a shame as the game looks spectacular.

A game about close quarters combat with no dedicated evade button? What an utterly baffling decision.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 3:42 pm

You don't need an evade button, you can literally use the parry while doing a combo and it's literally just as effective as a dodge button. You can use it in rapid succession too if an enemy's doing multiple attacks. You do not need an evade button in this game.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 3:45 pm

I'd prefer a hold system for the lock on as well, and a camera that was better at keeping track of whatever I'm locked on to.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 3:46 pm

Yeah, the camera is kinda a problem. I've had more than several instances where an enemy off-screen would hit me out of nowhere.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Fair enough, I didn't enjoy the demo.

I'm not going to torture myself by playing something I didn't like, and no, hack-and-slash isn't usually something I'd bother with. I was hoping the Metal Gear franchise and Platinum's involvement here would make this more comparable to Bayonetta. That was deep, spectacular and still instantly accessible.

I would ask one thing though - if the game is meant to be played aggresively, why force the player to have to block the dog-bot's attacks? Blocking / parrying is, by its very nature, defensive as you say, yet you have no choice but to do it. In a game about being on the offensive? It forces you to play a very certain way, that's what I take issue with.

Anyway, maybe I'll try it again a little later, give it the benefit of the doubt, but for now it left me frustrated.
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 3:57 pm

I cancelled my preorder for this, which is a shame, cause I love the Metal Gear universe, but this just is not doing it for me.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 4:03 pm

SimianWonder wrote:
Fair enough, I didn't enjoy the demo.

I would ask one thing though - if the game is meant to be played aggresively, why force the player to have to block the dog-bot's attacks? Blocking / parrying is, by its very nature, defensive as you say, yet you have no choice but to do it. In a game about being on the offensive? It forces you to play a very certain way, that's what I take issue with.

Anyway, maybe I'll try it again a little later, give it the benefit of the doubt, but for now it left me frustrated.

Parry is also meant to be an offensive mechanic, it both allows you to push the opponent's return attacks off should they try anything sneaky and if you time it correctly then you can immediately attack after the parry and get back in on them. Parry is a defensive mechanic mainly, yes, but that's mostly for the insurance of your opponents doing something you didn't account for and having time to react and properly register what happened so you can be ready for it next.

I mean, I've beaten Bladewolf without taking damage and it was mostly through aggressive attack, parrying when appropriate, and blade mode cancelling out of attacks with long recovery time.
Back to top Go down
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 6:08 pm

I found the combat underwhelming at first, but I decided to give the demo a few more tries and my opinion has changed. I like that you cancel the recovery time of 99% of Raiden's moves with blade mode and do some creative and flashy combos. For example against the dog I was able to do:

ff Triangle, L1, ff Square, jump Square x3 Triangle x2, L1, ff Square, jump Square x4 f Triangle

The camera could be better, but I am definitely buying this game.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 2:07 pm

Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 10:58 pm

http://platinumgames.com/2013/01/30/parrying-the-blade-mode/

Those parry loops look so flashy. They remind me of Soulcalibur's continuous guard impact clashes.
Back to top Go down
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 2:29 pm

I'm so bad at this, but it's really fun. I love the boss fights.
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 2:35 pm

how's the story ?

EDIT: or is it not out yet? forgot about the release date..
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 2:55 pm

Just beat the game, the whole game's amazing, everything, I will not hear any objections.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 3:37 pm

I'm just suprised captain buggy is a boss in this.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 5:17 pm

The story is... weird. It starts with the assassination of an African Prime Minister, continues with children's brains and ends with nanomachines.
Everything else is awesome.
Back to top Go down
Rockstar_Sinistar
Gary
Rockstar_Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 9:14 pm

From what I can figure, It's basically like this.

^ This is a high-light of the playthough. I'm inclined to hold off on the rest until I get a chance to play it, though. Shit looks too hype to have spoiled completely. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://thepit.forumotion.com/
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 2:29 am

VR missions are too fucking hard. I tried mission 18 earlier where you've to go against multiple waves of stronger enemies and you can't take even one hit. Raiden's attacks do almost no damage too. You basically have to be a parry god to win this.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 4:50 am

You'll be happy to know I've 1st Ranked every VR Mission and am about to start my S-Rank of Revengeance mode then, Chou.
Back to top Go down
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 7:38 pm

I have done it too, Baal. Don't underestimate the stubbornness of old people (especially when they're ill and have enough time).
My point was that it's the most challenging game I've ever played on PS3. Only Yakuza 3 & 4's minigames have given more trouble than this, but I enjoy challenges and this game is just so good that everyone should get it.

I'll give Revengeance a shot after I complete Hard and Very Hard. Oh, and I've seen vids where people use the suit for Raiden. I must unlock it.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 7:46 pm

Beat the prologue on Very Hard to get the sweet ass suit.
Back to top Go down
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 11:08 am

Ah, that's why I haven't got it yet. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Just got my S-Rank on all of Revengeance difficulty. Time to get the rest of the trophies so I can Platinum the game.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 5:11 am

Got the Platinum Trophy for this game, my life is empty again.
Back to top Go down
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 6:02 pm

I shamelessly used the infinite fuel wig (and the FOX blade a bit) to clear Revengeance mode. Still missing the trophy for killing 100 heavily armored cyborgs though and I haven't upgraded every sword.
I'll probably try beating Very Hard without the wigs and FOX blade next. I also want to use the pole more as it's the only weapon that I haven't used yet and it looks pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance   Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next