Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Valkyria Chronicles

Go down 
+9
Baal
Kaede
Kaio
Maskull
Superbuu3
A_Nonny_Moose
Kimarous
Golden Boy
SimianWonder
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

Valkyria Chronicles Empty
PostSubject: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 6:06 pm

Just finished work for today, and thought I'd try and hunt this PS3 exclusive down...yeah right. Game looked at me blankly as if to say "never heard of it", but they were quick to point out that Gears of War 2 was out now if I wanted that instead. Thanks, but that's not what I asked. HMV? Zavvi? Not a sniff of it.

Eventually, I tried Gamestation. They didn't have it either, but at least the guy there knew what I was talking about. Gamestation had actually sold out, which wasn't surprising considering their stock for launch was ten copies. Yep, that's it. Gears of War 2, Little Big Planet, Fable II, they had hundreds of, but Valkyria Chronicles, they received ten bloody copies.

It's no wonder some of these games never sell well, I've had similar problems with titles like Okami, although I did at least manage to get hold of that before it disappeared altogether.

On the plus side, the game apparently features cameos from characters who starred in Skies of Arcadia, one of the best RPGs ever, and I saw a very favourable review in a publication I usually trust. So, I know I want it. Now, I just need to find it...
Back to top Go down
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 7:54 pm

I had such problems too, but eventually I found it.
If I hadn't, I'd have ordered it from Amazon.
Back to top Go down
Kimarous
CP9 Agent
Kimarous

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 9:26 pm

Go figure... my mom and I were out shopping this morning and it was one of the first things I noticed at Futureshop. Didn't get it, though; I don't know squat about it (a big minus in my books), plus I can't buy anything for myself until Christmas (traditional family rules for Novemeber-December).
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 11:19 pm

So how is it, Chou?
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 11:52 pm

So what warrants putting it in the strategy category? Haven't looked into the game at all, I just assumed it was a typical JRPG.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 11:57 pm

It's by no means typical, that's why it appeals to me.

It's a turn based strategy, you have X number of units, X number of turns, and X numbers of adversaries to overcome. Certain units are more effective against others, so rocket troops are good vs tanks, but poor against foot soldiers, whereas foot soldiers get torn apart by tanks.

It also has a fantastic art style, like a sketch book bought to life via anime. Youtube it, you'll see what I mean.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 11:59 pm

Ah, right. I'll most likely give it a pass then.
Back to top Go down
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 1:10 am

It's amazing.
I can't remember when was the last time I enjoyed a game that much.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 1:12 am

10 copies thats ridicuolous
i heard the same shit for warriors orochi and yakuza games
we seriously get screwed
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 3:43 am

ive heard the valkyrie games are very good, but ive yet to play any of them Sad
Back to top Go down
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 8:46 pm

I finished the game a few hours ago and I have to say that the reviews were accurate. That's probably the best rpg/strategy game so far of this generation.

Aside the excellent, original and challenginggameplay it feaures a very strong plot unfolded through countless cutscenes. And Faldio was just awesome.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 11:03 pm

I've just ordered it off eBay, so should have it in a few days. How long did it take you to beat it?
Back to top Go down
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 11:08 pm

Around 25 hours.
I skipped classes today just to play it.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 11:10 pm

What's the replay value like?
Back to top Go down
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 11:17 pm

So you won't have to ask continuously, here are the specifics:
(keep in mind the game is like reading a book)

- 18 story chapters (5-10 cutscenes and 1-2 missions for each chapter)
- 5-7 "reports" (optional chapters that you have to buy in order to play)
- 10 skirmishes (you can't replay stages of the storyline, but skirmishes are exactly the same as some stages and can be replayed as many times as you want)

If you clear the game, you can create a New Game+ file. New skirmishes and hard mode for skirmishes are unlocked.
There are also DLC missions (not released yet).
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 11:20 pm

Thanks Chou, appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 11:38 pm

No problem.

There are also the Headquarters, the Music tab (you can hear the sons), the Statistics tab (your ranks are on display here) and the Decorations tab (medals awarded to you).

These are unlocked later in the game.

Headquarters are for changing equipment, recruiting (you have a team of 20, but you can choose the members -the only difference betwwen individuals of the same class is their potential abilities), levelling up (you place your experience points on each class and every member of it levels up), upgrading weapons/equipment/tank/tank's equipment (you upgrade the type of the weapons, not each weapon individually), buying "reports", reading the news, buying new Orders (I don't remember if that battle option was in the demo), getting medals and being awarded special guns. (again, not all of these options are available from the start.

Also some weapons can only be acquired by defeating specific enemies. You will know whom based on their name. They are called "aces".

All in all, there are many things to do.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 6:49 pm

Well, it arrived today. Haven't played it yet, but I do have a weekend to myself, so should get a few hours in. Can't wait.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 10:02 pm

I've spent around four hours on it today, finished the first four chapters, done a couple of skirmishes, upgraded my tank a little, and levelled up my troops.

It's a refreshing change of pace, and I fear that, due to a number of circumstances, it's destined to only sell in small numbers. That's a real shame, as the game is brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 2:52 am

Isn't chapter 4 the Vasel bridge one?
The game starts being epic after chapter 6. And don't forget to buy the "reports" (:extra chapters) from Ellet. Those chapters are really great.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 4:03 pm

I've been doing skirmishes to gain extra EXP and money, just so I can buy everything pssible, even if some of the weapon upgrades are outrageously overpriced. I've bought up all the extra content available thus far, although I've not yet done Largo's optional mission.

I've just finished the level in the desert, where Welkin, Alicia and Faldio meet Maximillian in the following scenes.

My only real gripe is how useless my snipers are, they take four or five goes to hit anything, and it's far more effective to run your scouts in and shoot enemies point blank. That said, sinpers are only level 5 so far, and their weapons aren't great, so maybe that'll change, especially after watching the COM snipers wipe out three team members from half a battlefield away in a dust storm!
Back to top Go down
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 4:25 pm

Maximillian is one of my favourite characters of this game.
So have you faced the "Batomys" yet?

And level has nothing to do with accuracy or firepower. You just need better sniper rifles.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 6:34 pm

Tux wrote:
Maximillian is one of my favourite characters of this game.

Really? I haven't seen much of him yet.

Quote :
So have you faced the "Batomys" yet?

I don't think so, no.

Quote :
And level has nothing to do with accuracy or firepower. You just need better sniper rifles.

So my snipers are destined to be useless until R&D come up with better weapons? Bah.
Back to top Go down
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 6:38 pm

Chapter 8b, enemy ace sniper. Defeat him to claim his weapon.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 6:41 pm

Sounds good. Also, is it me, or are scouts overpowered? They're easily the most versatile class.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles   Valkyria Chronicles Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Valkyria Chronicles
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next