Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies

Go down 
+10
Superbuu3
DeeCee
Talking Sock
Kaede
Rockstar_Sinistar
Haseoviawesome
Maskull
Kimarous
A_Nonny_Moose
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 4:45 pm

For good measure, the Jet Jaguar song. Punch Punch Punch!

Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2012 7:15 pm

1974: Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 8:23 pm

There will be a small delay while I search for a proper widescreen version of the next film rather than the shitty 4:3 dvd rip I keep finding everywhere.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 11:39 pm

Well, the bad news I couldn't find a widescreen verion. The other bad news is it wouldn't have been worth finding one anyway because the film is incredibly dull.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 1:17 am

1975 - Terror of Mechagodzilla

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 1:43 am

Since this film marks the end of the Showa era Godzilla films, I decided to do some research to find out why there was such a long time between this and 1984's Return of Godzilla, which marked the start of the Heisei era of films.

As you can tell this research turned up phrases like "Showa era" and "Heisei era", named after the Japanese emperors of the time. These eras don't just apply to the Godzilla films, but to Japanese giant monters movies in general. The original Godzilla started the phenomenon in 1954, marking the start of the Showa era, which would last until 1980. After that there no significant monster movie productions until 1984 when Godzilla kicked it off again and started the Heisei era of monster movies.

Terror of Mechagodzilla was the least commercially succesful of the Showa era Godzilla movies, and I can understand why. Things had been slipping for a while though, with Godzilla vs Megalon being the first Godzilla movie to sell less than a million tickets. Which is a huge fall since Godzilla vs Gigan sold about 1.7 million. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla climbed back up to 1.3 million but Terror of Mechagodzilla fell back below 1 million.

So the series was put on hold. It wasn't until 1984, the 30th anniversary of the franchise, that Godzilla returned in a direct sequel to the 1954 classic that I'm really looking forward to watching. After 15 Showa era movies of extremely varying quality it'll be nice to jump into the 80's with a new look and a new attitude.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 7:59 pm

1984: The Return of Godzilla

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 11:55 pm

I'll probably write it up tomorrow or friday, but I have to say that Godzilla vs Biollante is the weirdest god damn Godzilla film yet. Even weirder than Godzilla vs Megalon.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 8:05 pm

1989: Godzilla vs Biollante

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 8:50 pm

That sounds pretty mental. Very entertaining write up though.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 9:49 pm

Still can't believe Godzilla lost. How it's supposed to work is that they fight in the middle of the film and Godzilla loses, but then he get's stronger and wins at the end. In this film Biollante had that role.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 11:08 pm

I really don't want to watch another dbbed cropped mess, so this is postponed indefinitely until I find a decent version of the next film.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 7:55 pm

I finally found a good source for the rest of the movies so here we go. Originally the plan for the Heisei era films was to use all new monsters for Godzilla to fight, such as Biollante. But Godzilla vs Biollante performed poorly at the box office, and so the Godzilla franchise stepped into the 1990's with...

Spoiler:

That was a really fun Godzilla movie.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 8:30 pm

Your write-ups for these are always a lot of fun to read. Kudos.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 11:40 pm

Thats probably my favourite godzilla movie, I thought that was the last one before the american one are there others?
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 1:31 pm

There were 4 more Godzilla movies made after this one but before the American one. From 1991 to 1995 there was one a year.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 2:22 pm

I can't believe I started this topic almost exactly 4 years ago. My goal now is to finish the whole series before the new American Godzilla film releases in 2014.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 2:38 pm

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
I can't believe I started this topic almost exactly 4 years ago. My goal now is to finish the whole series before the new American Godzilla film releases in 2014.
It is an amazing encyclopedia of destruction, you have to finish it.

EDIT: hahahahahaha

Quote :
in Godzilla: Final Wars he was 100 meters tall (about 328 feet). Godzilla was originally supposed to be 50 meters (about 164 feet) in Final Wars, but budgetary cutbacks in miniature sets forced this size change.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 3:36 pm

BTW in that last movie for some reason I got the impression when they recreated godzilla he was stronger and angrier was that the case?
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 3:56 pm

All they actually say is that he's bigger, but I assume that means stronger. Didn't notice him being any angrier than in the last two movies.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 1:56 pm

So he's a villain at the end of this one? Was he considered good or bad before that?
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 2:31 pm

Since 1984's Return of Godzilla, he's always been a villain. It was Ghidorah that actually saved Tokyo from Godzilla in the end, rather than it being the other way around.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 2:43 pm

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
Since 1984's Return of Godzilla, he's always been a villain. It was Ghidorah that actually saved Tokyo from Godzilla in the end, rather than it being the other way around.
Oh ok, is continuity going to change again now you are moving to a new age?
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 2:53 pm

There's no new age yet. The Heisei era of Godzilla movies ends in 1995. After that there's the Millenium series, which begins in 1999. The only continuity change so far has been Return of Godzilla, which was direct sequel to the original 1954 movie. I don't know if the Millenium series has a different contintuity, I haven't looked it up yet.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 2:57 pm

Dragon Zord would wreck Godzilla... Just saying.

Seriously though I do hope now that you are in teh 90s the films will at least reach power rangers standards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies   So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So I'm gonna watch the Godzilla movies
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next