Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)

Go down 
+14
Talking Sock
A_Nonny_Moose
Charlie Sheen
brandon
Kaede
Dark Omega
Zero
Fran
Superbuu3
Baal
Kimarous
Golden Boy
Kaio
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 10:14 pm

SimianWonder wrote:
I love Movie 9. Even the dub has a couple of awesome moments;

Gohan: "I'm my father's soooooooooooon!"

Bardock: "Any last words?"
SSJ2 Gohan: "Actually, there is one that springs to mind; Kamehame....HA!"

Yes, Bardock in that movie was awesome. Wait.... what?

Also the movie 9 (and 7) Double Feature was released last week. I'm still waiting for the dub with Japanese BGM for that scene.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 10:20 pm

Duh.

Bojack, not Bardock.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 10:26 pm

Anyway, a few things about the dialogue in that particular scene

- Goku is a lot stricter in the original than in the dub. He basically tells Gohan to grow the fuck up and beat the guy. Which is pretty much what we've all been saying for way too long.
- After Bojack gets punched in the dub he says "Was that Goku?!". Bojack does not know who Goku is. Why FUNi added that line is beyond me.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 10:28 pm

Goku's always less strict in the dub. I remember it being the same when he was telling Gohan to fight Vegeta (although I haven't seen the anime for years).
Back to top Go down
Kimarous
CP9 Agent
Kimarous

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 10:29 pm

Rabitz wrote:

- Goku is a lot stricter in the original than in the dub. He basically tells Gohan to grow the fuck up and beat the guy. Which is pretty much what we've all been saying for way too long.
- After Bojack gets punched in the dub he says "Was that Goku?!". Bojack does not know who Goku is. Why FUNi added that line is beyond me.
The dub implies that Bojack is completely aware of how he escaped. Earlier, he asks that Gohan pass on his thanks to (Gohan's) father.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 10:41 pm

I've not seen the dubs of movies 8 onwards, only clips on youtube.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:16 pm

DBZ episode 232

Japanese title: “I Won’t Allow the Revival!! A Kamehame-Ha of Resistance”
English title: “Buu is Hatched”

Nothing worth mentioning here.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:41 pm

DBZ episode 233

Japanese title: “A Straight Line to Despair!? The Grief of Kaioshin”
English title: “The Losses Begin”

After Vegeta knocks Goku out in the original he clearly says that the reason for doing it is because it’s his fault for releasing Buu, so he’ll kill him off himself too. And he adds that there will be the chance that he’ll die. In the dub however he says that he doesn’t want that “clown” to hog all the glory and that he’ll kill him off another time. Nothing more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:26 am

Rabitz wrote:
Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 False_11

Dub Vegeta’s Final Flash.

Yes'm.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:32 am

DBZ episode 234

Japanese title: “The Terrifying Majin!! Death’s Dread Draws Near Gohan”
English title: “The Terror of Mr. Buu”

FUNi needs to go to the DBG board and learn who Mr. Buu is. Immediately.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:05 am

DBZ episode 235

Japanese title: “’Gonna Eat’cha!!’ A Hungry Majin’s Supernatural Power”
English title: “Meal Time”

Dub Vegeta makes another monologue about his pain, but he ends it pretty good by saying that both him and Goku will rest in peace and that all will be over once he wakes up. Oh yeah, Ginga Giri Giri plays again.

Japanese Vegeta: I’m not going to hell alone! I’m taking you all with me!

This line is so awesome and it shouldn’t have only been used in the games for the dub.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:29 am

DBZ episode 236

Japanese title: “A Warrior’s Resolution!! I Will Dispose Of the Majin”
English title: “The Warrior’s Decision”

After Buu does that enormous attack dub Piccolo screams for Vegeta. Originally he screamed for Kaioshin.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:58 am

DBZ episode 237

Japanese title: “For Those Whom He Loves... Vegeta Perishes!!”
English title: “Final Atonement”

There’s some silence moment here where the screen shows Goku and Gohan’s unconsious body. Announcer of course needs to blabber through it because of the no silence rule and he starts talking about how Goku has fallen into a sleep he may never wake up from (WTF?!). Then the announcer says that Gohan is in fact alive, which destroys the whole plotpoint of him being dead or not.

The whole spirit cleansing thing isn’t explained in the dub, fixing at least one Toei plot hole. Although this probably has more to do with FUNi covering up the more spiritual side of the series than to actually fix something.

Vegeta’s death was handled absolutely fantastic. I have no single complaint at all.

Also this episode marks the very last appearance of Ginga Giri Giri (I think). Very sad indeed.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:11 pm

DBZ episode 238

Japanese title: “The Nightmare Revisited!! Majin Boo Has Survived”
English title: “Evil Lives On”

Nothing to say.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:36 pm

DBZ episode 239

Japanese title: “The Struggle of Videl and the Others! Find the Dragonballs”
English title: “Find the Dragon Balls”

There was a lot of crappy dialogue between Bulma and Yamcha here, all when there was silence in the original.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:09 pm

DBZ episode 240

Japanese title: “Enormous Hope!! A New Finishing Technique For the Little Squirts”
English title: “Revival”

During the Nail flashback there was silence in the original, but dub Piccolo happily monologues on. Then of course is that awesome moment of Piccolo realising his strength (where the original did have dialogue) and we can hear that awesome dub speech of Piccolo again where he reaches the ultimate orgasm.

It’s funny that they discuss about the incantation to summon the dragon and how Bulma surely knows how it goes, yet the dub incantation is far from being the right one. Moreover it’s also different from the other times the dragon was summoned in the dub.

Original: Come forth, Shen Long, and grant me my wish!
Dub: Eternal dragon! By your name I summon you forth! Shenron!

FUNi fixed the plothole of there suddenly being three wishes that can be made. It’s still two in the dub.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:31 pm

DBZ episode 241

Japanese title: “Goten and Trunks, the World’s Most Wanted”
English title: “Global Announcement”

Bleh.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:55 pm

DBZ episode 242

Japanese title: “Gohan Revived! Kaioshin’s Secret Weapon!?”
English title: “Learn to Fuse!”

=/
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 3:20 pm

DBZ episode 243

Japanese title: “It Came Out!! The Legendary Z-sword”
English title: “The Z Sword”

Piccolo is again called Ma Junior in the dub. I didn’t talk about it last time so I’ll do it now. In the Dragonball dub Piccolo’s alias in the Budokai is Junior. This creates a direct continuity problem with the Z dub, because he’s called Ma Junior there.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 12:14 am

DBZ episode 244

Japanese title: “Metro West is Targeted! Stop, Majin Buu!!”
English title: “Race to Capsule Corp.”

In this episode Krillin has a fake flashback in which he has to lower his power to match Goku’s when they were kids. The Japanese makes it clear that this is just Kuririn fantasising, but FUNi acts as if it actually happened.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 12:40 am

DBZ episode 245

Japanese title: “An Astounding, Great Transformation!! Super Saiyan 3”
English title: “Super Saiyan 3?!”

Buu: [i]Super... Saiyajin?

Fat Buu is officially the smartest character in all of DBZ.

The dub music during the SSJ3 transformation is infinitely better than the Japanese music. But you all already knew that.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 1:07 am

DBZ episode 246

Japanese title: “Bye Bye Babidi!! Majin Buu Rebels”
English title: “Buu’s Mutiny”

Nothing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 1:49 am

No mention on the fact that Buu punched Babadi's head off?
Back to top Go down
Goldninja
East Blue Pirate Captain
Goldninja

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 2:24 am

Glad you're continuing this. I like the comparisons, even though the dub isn't as bad during the Buu saga.

Rabitz wrote:
DBZ episode 227
This episode had one of those moments where someone is talking off-screen (Gohan in this case) and suddenly the screen goes to show their face with closed mouth before they finish talking, which shows what a sloppy job FUNi did.

I really hate that. These guys are supposed to be professionals. At times, the guys at Four Star seem to do a better dubbing job.

Kimarous wrote:
Rabitz wrote:

The dub implies that Bojack is completely aware of how he escaped. Earlier, he asks that Gohan pass on his thanks to (Gohan's) father.

Still, getting punched by some unknown apparition and he immediately thinks, "Was that Goku"? That was stupid, even for Funi.

But yeah, the majority of the Majin Vegeta incident was much better portrayed in the dub, after the "shame on you, Vegeta" right up until Vegeta exploded.

Funi seems to have gotten a lot better by Buu saga. Compare the Buu saga to the Cell saga and the Buu saga doesn't seem so bad. Still, there are a lot of little errors that just stick out and are completely stupid. Kaioshin telling to Vegeta, "You aren't that way anymore! You've changed!" Says who, dub Kaioshin?
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 3:11 pm

BTW Oozaru Goku is credited as "Gorilla Goku". xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)   Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!) - Page 17 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kaio's great DBZ sub/dub comparison! (Completed!)
Page 17 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next