Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Before i start fallout 3 GOTY

Go down 
+4
Kimarous
Neo
brandon
Superbuu3
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Empty
PostSubject: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 1:38 am

is there anything i need to know?

Also about the freezing issue is it throughout the game or just in the DLC section post game?

I'm playing on PS3
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 1:59 am

forget about perception when editing stats, intelligence is the most important, i would put at least 8 points on it as it effects the amount of skill points you earn upon level up.

i usually put 9 on it and immediately head to rivet city after you get out of the vault to grab the bobble head that increases intelligence.

freezing is gonna happen anyway so save a lot and make seperate saves
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 2:22 am

Go and do Operation Anchorage straight away, it's a simulation so your gear doesn't matter and it's not difficult to get there. Also look up the glitch that lets you take items back from the sim, at one point you get some awesome power armor that has virtually unlimited durability. It also provides you with the training to use said armor in the form of a perk which is nice because otherwise you'd have to wait until late game.

And yeah, what he said about stats. If you plan on going to level 30 you could start off with a high Int stat and whatever else you want, wait until you hit 30 and take the Almost Perfect perk which raises all your SPECIAL stats to 9, then pick up all the bobbleheads for a 'perfect' set.
Back to top Go down
Kimarous
CP9 Agent
Kimarous

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 6:29 am

Eyeball wrote:
i usually put 9 on it and immediately head to rivet city after you get out of the vault to grab the bobble head that increases intelligence.
On one hand, he's right about the Intelligence issue, but on the other hand, doing this right off the bat on account of stat-whoring will make you miss out on at least two story quests.

Another thing... even if you feel that certain bullets are worthless, keep them anyway. After finishing The Pitt's main quest, you get access to an ammo press that allows you to convert unwanted ammo (bullets only, of course) into stuff you want. If you are like me and develop a liking to Lincon's Repeater, it helps eliminate worries about conserving your otherwise rare .44 ammo (which said weapon requires). As for non-bullets like flamer fuel, missles, or mini-nukes... well, that all depends on whether or not you plan on using them.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 11:33 am

Kimarous wrote:
Eyeball wrote:
On one hand, he's right about the Intelligence issue, but on the other hand, doing this right off the bat on account of stat-whoring will make you miss out on at least two story quests.

Another thing... even if you feel that certain bullets are worthless, keep them anyway. After finishing The Pitt's main quest, you get access to an ammo press that allows you to convert unwanted ammo (bullets only, of course) into stuff you want. If you are like me and develop a liking to Lincon's Repeater, it helps eliminate worries about conserving your otherwise rare .44 ammo (which said weapon requires). As for non-bullets like flamer fuel, missles, or mini-nukes... well, that all depends on whether or not you plan on using them.

Hunting rifle is the best weapon. 12 feet or closer, and the combat shotgun is the best.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 12:05 pm

Kaede wrote:
Hunting rifle is the best weapon. 12 feet or closer, and the combat shotgun is the best.
Maybe when you're only taking common/low-tier weapons into consideration. The Backwater Rifle is the best overall weapon imo, almost as powerful as Lincoln's Repeater and has an amazing 5x crit chance multiplier which absolutely destroys enemies, especially when you have perks like Finesse and Better Criticals as well as a high luck stat. It also uses 10mm ammo, making it possible to use all the time and never worry about running out.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 12:41 pm

Michael Atkinson wrote:
Kaede wrote:
Maybe when you're only taking common/low-tier weapons into consideration. The Backwater Rifle is the best overall weapon imo, almost as powerful as Lincoln's Repeater and has an amazing 5x crit chance multiplier which absolutely destroys enemies, especially when you have perks like Finesse and Better Criticals as well as a high luck stat. It also uses 10mm ammo, making it possible to use all the time and never worry about running out.
But many Raiders and Super Mutants have hunting rifle, so ammo and condition is never a problem. Also, it's got decent range and power, and I like the name.
Back to top Go down
Kimarous
CP9 Agent
Kimarous

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 6:27 pm

But Lincoln's Repeater can use Hunting Rifles for repair; the only issue is that of ammo, but this is negated by using The Pitt's ammo press.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 7:20 pm

Kimarous wrote:
Eyeball wrote:

no, no you don't. all you have to do to avoid that is to not talk to the professor or doctor or whatever she is
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 8:27 am

Kimarous wrote:
But Lincoln's Repeater can use Hunting Rifles for repair; the only issue is that of ammo, but this is negated by using The Pitt's ammo press.
Crit multiplier is only x2 for Lincoln's Repeater as opposed to x5.
Back to top Go down
Kimarous
CP9 Agent
Kimarous

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 8:44 am

Michael Atkinson wrote:
Kimarous wrote:
LR is more accurate, has higher DPS, holds more bullets, requires less AP to use, etc. See? I can do that to.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Backwater_rifle

A full comparison can be found here. I stand by Lincoln's Repeater as my preferred firearm.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 8:53 am

Kimarous wrote:
Michael Atkinson wrote:
Kimarous wrote:
LR is more accurate, has higher DPS, holds more bullets, requires less AP to use, etc. See? I can do that to.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Backwater_rifle

A full comparison can be found here. I stand by Lincoln's Repeater as my preferred firearm.
I'll give it a bit of context to explain my choice. My main character is very VATS heavy and I usually have Ledoux's hockey mask and the Ranger armor equipped, this more than offsets the 5 extra AP per shot. I also have grim reapers sprint so considering that it doesn't even take a full bar to kill anything it makes AP even more irrelevant. The minute accuracy difference really isn't noticeable considering I use VATS and have the commando perk. I also have 10 in all SPECIALS and 100 Small Guns skill so I almost never miss unless I'm trying to hit something at sniper rifle range. Ammo count doesn't matter because VATS automatically reloads for you.

Basically the only noticible difference I find is the crit chance which, when combined with various crit/luck perks, seems to put out more damage.
Back to top Go down
Kimarous
CP9 Agent
Kimarous

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 9:01 am

Yyyyeah, and you have also completely played through the game, are level 30, etc. Sure, you may favour the Backwater Rifle in your current state, but do you really feel it is the best choice for a beginner who is experiencing the game for the first time?

Oh, and quit with the stat-whoring BS. Again, it's his first playthrough. Let him fucking EXPERIENCE the game!
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 9:08 am

Haha, fair enough. I agree that for a character that isn't built up to be a supreme small guns powerhouse it's probably better.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 10:49 am

Lincoln's Repeater is DLC, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 10:56 am

Nope, it's in the vanilla game. Backwater Rifle is from Point Lookout however.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 11:28 am

do you guys use energy weapons?

i feel like i'm the only one...
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 11:42 am

I use the gauss rifle when I snipe, also sometimes use the laser rifle that shoots multiple beams per shot.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 11:46 am

i think all i use is energy now

at first it was just the hunting rifle , but then i switched to energy after i got the dlc and shit like the albino radscorpion and that super ghoul, uh reaver or something... i forget, started appearing
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 10:35 pm

I assumed intel was what i should go for i think i put reasonable points in both agility and endurnace i thought fuck speech and put it down to 1

as always i've gone for the thief/assassin build of character. I think i did lock pick, sneak and small guns. Also went for the thief perk at level 2 as well as uppping lock and sneak 10 each.

I thought i'd be a nice guy but unintentionally i'm seeing a lot of -ve karma as i'm a fucking thief lol.

I intend on getting maybe a sniper when i'm higher level currently gonna concentrate on the small arms. To get around that moriati twat i just stole the password from his computer so i didn't need to deal with him.

Does it make a difference if i blow up the town? I was debating doing that or killing moriati. Currently loving the game i decided not to kill the overseer though i did consider it instead pickpocketed him. Gnerealy speaking i think i've been nice in general. So i'm still a martyr. Defintely playing through this a few times i'll be more of a dick on later playthroughs.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 10:53 pm

if you blow it up: your karma goes to hell, you lose a bobble head if you didn't grab it yet, you have to go to a different place to do moira's quests, you get a nicer place to stay, and you lose access to the shops there
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 10:57 pm

i prefer to be good since i use the ranger combat armor that you get for doing one of the side quests. when your good the talon company hunts you and you can use there armor to repair it. i think they have better equipment to take to, over the regulators that hunt you when you're bad.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 2:03 am

Oh well i didn't bother doingit even though i considered it a few times, i ran into a enclave soldier that bitch was fucking tough, but some slavers attacked him at the same time i got me a laser rifle now. In terms of poncing about i've managed to explore all of 5 locations and taken hours. VATS system is just too funny did not expect to see ppls heads get shot off.

Should i target any particular body part i just go for the head all the time.

Also what do i level to use rifles like sniper rifles not assault rifles. Are there sniper rifles in this game?

Having played Oblivion before this I can really see how much freedom this game gives you. I mean for starters when you play oblivion there are a few people you can't kill. In this it seems like you literally can kill anyone or cause some kind of event to get people killed off. I'm truly amazed. I mean you can be an absolute dick in this game just for lulz its amazing.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 2:35 am

I always target the head unless I have no chance to hit or want to cripple them for some reason, however crippling is mostly useless against anything but a deathclaw as sometimes by the time you've removed their ability to attack properly/run they're almost dead anyway.
Quote :
In this it seems like you literally can kill anyone or cause some kind of event to get people killed off.
You can't kill anyone related to the story unless the game wants you to, they just get knocked out when you shoot them in the face. This is one of the things about New Vegas that sounds so amazing, every single NPC bar one can be killed and the story will just march on and deal with their death.

As far as blowing up Megaton, if you want to do it I suggest waiting till you're sure you've milked as much as possible out of the town ie: exp, caps, items and quests. After that you should know that doing it will give you -1000 karma which will probably change your alignment to full evil.
To be honest it doesn't change the rest of the game much, either way there are groups of people that try to hunt you down so tl;dr just do whatever you like.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 3:34 am

sniper rifles fall under small guns i believe, but sniper rifles are fairly rare to find in the wasteland so your best bet is to find them at weapon shops. the sniper rifles hp is fairly low too so you need to repair it often
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Before i start fallout 3 GOTY    Before i start fallout 3 GOTY  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Before i start fallout 3 GOTY
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next