Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.

Go down 
+3
Talking Sock
A_Nonny_Moose
Baal
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Empty
PostSubject: So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.   So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 9:03 pm

While Romeo and Juliet sucks in general I found the 1968 one to be more enjoyable. Why?

Well the main factor is that the 1968 Version had Michael York and the 1996 version didn't.

Okay so let's begin.

The 1968 version is set in the old times back when the story originally took place. The 1996 version took place in a more modernized setting with Leonardo DiCaprio. This was back when DiCaprio was a pig disgusting actor. The main problem I have with the 1996 version is they retained all of the dialogue from the original play. Now this wasn't bad for the 1968 version. Why? BECAUSE THE 1968 VERSION TOOK PLACE BACK IN THE DAYS WHEN PEOPLE TALKED LIKE THIS! THE 1996 VERSION IS A MODERNIZED VERSION WITH EVERYTHING MODERNIZED BUT WAIT THE DIALOGUE IS STILL THE SAME! NOT REVISED INTO A MUCH MORE CURRENT FASHION.

The next problem I have with the 1996 version is Mercutio. I have no problem that he's black. Really, it's all good. The problem I do have though is that HE'S A FUCKING IDIOT. In the 1968 version Mercutio is depicted as he was in the play. Funny, enjoyable, and intelligent. In the 1968 version, he's a fucking moron. He's not funny or enjoyable and he certainly isn't as smart as he's depicted in the play. He dresses up like a woman for the party. And then he gives Romeo "Queen Mab" in the form of ecstasy. THIS WILL THEN ENSUE THE MOST BIZARRE AND STUPID HALLUCINATION TO EVER EXIST.

The next problem I have with the 1996 version, is Tybalt. Tybvalt and Mercutio were two of the only characters I liked in the original play. So to see these two characters being given horrible modernized versions is terrible. Tybalt's introduction was awesome. Until he spoke, because his actor is none other than John Leguizamo. That's right, Luigi from the Super Mario Bros. Live Action movie. In the 1968 version, Tybalt was acted by Michael York. A man with one of the greatest voices I have ever heard. So it pained me in the 1996 version to hear him with Leguizamo's voice. You've heard his raspy little piss annoying voice, so yeah. But I have to admit, seeing him spin the guns and point one of the guns at the kid and saying "Bang" was pretty cool.

My next problem is the fact that... oh no. JAMIE KENNEDY IS IN THIS MOVIE. AND HOLY SHIT, THIS WAS HIS FIRST ROLE IN A MOVIE? Okay, I'll give the guy a break seeing as this was his motion picture.

Anyways, back to the problem I was getting on. THEY CALL GUNS, SWORDS! This is left over from the unchanged script but it's stull fucking stupid.

My next problem? The Capulets. The Capulets were full of fucking morons. I'm glad to see it was unchanged in this version. But in this version, the Capulets for some reason are Spanish. HELL, EVEN THE NURSE IS SPANISH AND SHE ISN'T EVEN RELATED.

Anyways, I don't see why Romeo and Juliet even gets all of the praise it does. I certainly find it impossible to see why the 1996 version gets so much praise despite being a god awful movie. Maybe people are just dumb?
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.   So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 9:07 pm

We just had to watch the 1996 version and some BBC Play for TV from the 70's where Juliet was about 12 and Romeo was about 40. The film was better.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.   So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 1:41 am

I remember doing this crap a few years back. Everyone lol'd when classic version's Juliet's tits practically smashed on the screen.

Anyways, I lol'd at the modern version how overly dramatic it was. My friends and I kept laughing and making jokes about each scene, like when the friend dies, how there's a storm and popping up and shit. Everyone also laughed hard when Leo was batshit insane when he was trying to kill that other guy.
Back to top Go down
Kimarous
CP9 Agent
Kimarous

PostSubject: Re: So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.   So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 1:48 am

Just hope that you study some of Shakespeare's better plays, like Macbeth or Hamlet. Maybe even a comedy, like A Midsummer Night's Dream.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.   So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 1:59 am

Sora wrote:
I remember doing this crap a few years back. Everyone lol'd when classic version's Juliet's tits practically smashed on the screen.

Anyways, I lol'd at the modern version how overly dramatic it was. My friends and I kept laughing and making jokes about each scene, like when the friend dies, how there's a storm and popping up and shit. Everyone also laughed hard when Leo was batshit insane when he was trying to kill that other guy.

I remember that. That's probably the best scene that doesn't have Michael York in the whole movie.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.   So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 3:27 pm

1968 is the one with Olivia Hussey?
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.   So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 8:02 pm

Kaede wrote:
1968 is the one with Olivia Hussey?

I believe so.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.   So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 6:07 am

The one with the huge tits
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.   So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 6:11 am

Yes.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.   So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 6:13 am

The movie's that old? Shit!
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.   So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 1:18 pm

yeah i've seen both

and i totally agree with mercutio, not saying that i didn't like the new version

it was suprisingly well done considering the fast pace
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net

PostSubject: Re: So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.   So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 1:26 am

PSHT.

Am I the only person that hasn't seen this shit?
Back to top Go down
Zero
The Hero
Zero

PostSubject: Re: So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.   So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 1:36 am

The one with the tits popping out had absolute shitty acting on Juliet's part (worse than any)
Back to top Go down
http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/

PostSubject: Re: So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.   So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 3:38 am

Hey, the 1996 one at least had Harold "WAAAAAAAAAAAALT" Perrineau. The 1968 one was dull as hell except for when Tybalt fought Mercutio (and how they protrayed the fatal blow) and when we saw some completely unneccesary breasts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.   So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 3:54 am

Fucking intelligent bastards.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.   So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 4:41 am

Sarbud wrote:
Hey, the 1996 one at least had Harold "WAAAAAAAAAAAALT" Perrineau. The 1968 one was dull as hell except for when Tybalt fought Mercutio (and how they protrayed the fatal blow) and when we saw some completely unneccesary breasts.

Hello, Super Nintendo Chalmers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.   So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So as a result of my Lit Class I've had to watch Romeo and Juliet from 1968 and Modern Versions.
Page 1 of 1