Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Tale of Two Sisters

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

A Tale of Two Sisters Empty
PostSubject: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 12:37 am

Korean (I think) horror film. Buu said it actually made him scream out loud, so I figured I'd give it a go.

A girl comes back home after some kind of mental treatment, presumably all better. But then ghosts and her insane step-mother fuck everything up. Pretty decent film. Rarely lets up once the tension kicks in and never gives a safe perspective on events, so even at the end you don't know exactly which bits were supposed to be real. In fact it does the opposite in some cases, giving you an outside perspective that still seems unreal.

I'm curious to know which bit made Buu scream now.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 12:40 am

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 12:45 am

Yeah, I thought it might be that bit. Definitely the biggest jump-scare I've seen for a while.

I watched Dark Water too. Not as good. Way too many questions at the end (and I don't even mean questions about the ending, just questions in general).
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 12:50 am

There's quite a lot to get my sister pointed out a important thing, the mother and daughter say identical lines about there mother.

I think we're to assume her mom died in a similar way.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 12:55 am

I just had no clue what the ghost's motivation was, whether we were supposed to sympathise with it, why it targeted the mother and daughter... So many things. And what about the girl's father? Why didn't she haunt him instead?

And the effects were a bit silly. That didn't help.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 1:09 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
I just had no clue what the ghost's motivation was, whether we were supposed to sympathise with it, why it targeted the mother and daughter... So many things. And what about the girl's father? Why didn't she haunt him instead?

And the effects were a bit silly. That didn't help.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 1:16 am

That was another thing. The girl died in a pretty stupid way. If you're going to be a freaky ghost and haunt people and nearly kill them, you need a better reason than ignorance is all I'm saying.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 1:22 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
That was another thing. The girl died in a pretty stupid way. If you're going to be a freaky ghost and haunt people and nearly kill them, you need a better reason than ignorance is all I'm saying.
Western horror makes some nonsense excuses for ghosts i.e. satanic rituals, a full moon or anniversary to an event and those things aren't how ghosts are supposed to come about, the huge cultural shift would be lost on people. Whereas this kind of horror film is meant to be scarier due to the fact its close to the realms of reality but not seeing as ghosts existing is considered nonsense. Its impossible to explain cultural differences, but speaking as someone who has been raised on a similar culture I can safely say this film does it pretty much flawlessly, ignoring that stupid mask the girl wears near the end of the film.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 1:23 am

Also, throughout Two Sisters I was constantly wondering if Su-Mi was that Korean woman from Lost, or maybe her sister or something, since she looked exactly like her but younger.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 1:25 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
Also, throughout Two Sisters I was constantly wondering if Su-Mi was that Korean woman from Lost, or maybe her sister or something, since she looked exactly like her but younger.
They do look familiar but they're not in anything else.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 1:27 am

Superbuu3 wrote:
Whereas this kind of horror film is meant to be scarier due to the fact its close to the realms of reality
It definitely did that, but it just wasn't scarier because of it. By the end the whole thing almost felt mundane, like there was nothing particularly special or out of the ordinary about what happened. Which dampens the effect for me. Pun intended.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 1:31 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
Superbuu3 wrote:
Whereas this kind of horror film is meant to be scarier due to the fact its close to the realms of reality
It definitely did that, but it just wasn't scarier because of it. By the end the whole thing almost felt mundane, like there was nothing particularly special or out of the ordinary about what happened. Which dampens the effect for me. Pun intended.
Its not meant to scare its meant to unsettle. Its like after you watched ring the first time and you wake up and notice the tv screen next to you. Its hard to say but this kind horror film is meant to make you be scared after the film has ended.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 1:34 am

I can't recall any horror film ever doing that. I was bit worried that a giant monster might attack my home after seeing Cloverfield though.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 1:37 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
I can't recall any horror film ever doing that. I was bit worried that a giant monster might attack my home after seeing Cloverfield though.
Did you watch blair witch in the cinema?

Thats pretty much the only way of watching a film i can think that actually shat up every single person i knew. Dark water clearly left me tense seeing as how i was losing it for most of tale of two sisters.

Western horror films basically never have that effect on me, although that said i think omen the original films probably did those were scary. But i watched them when was really little. The effects probably look terrible now.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 1:46 am

Did you ever see The Orphanage? That was great.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 1:51 am

Na, what kinda scary is it jumps, gore fest or subtle?

I was debating watching this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Mirror
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 1:58 am

It's not actually that scary overall, but there's some jumps. If you've ever seen Devil's Backbone, it's that kind of thing.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 2:07 am

I don't know anyone with those films I'll see if its on lovefilm later but i'm cancelling subscription to that soon
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 3:18 pm

I just looked up this film on amazon and dark water to, and man do people completely miss the point of the films.

It makes me laugh how anyone can call either of the films predictable if you consider all the extra implications of a lot of the stuff. I wouldn't mind watching both of these again. That said i dunno if its best to leave tale of two sisters to be the only film that literally made me scream, because its kinda cool that a film did that to me.
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 5:25 pm

sounds like a movie I need to see, this Two Sisters things...

I'd kill to see a movie that actually manages to scare me or creep me out... I'm a huge horror fan, but everything is so tame lately, it's all about the gore (which is cool too) but I want the scares man.

last movie I had scares in was Drag Me To Hell.. and only because the scares in it were totally unpredictable..
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Uh, well the reason this was scary to me was dark water unsettled me and this film doesn't really stop. They go beyond the point things normally do in horror films that said i think it's definitely worth a watch if your into horror movies.
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 5:38 pm

already downloading it so I can see it tonight Very Happy

so is this in English or do i need to find some subtitles?
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 6:06 pm

hmm, i just learned The Uninvited was a remake of this... The Uninvited was kinda lame, so I hope the original is better
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 6:28 pm

Remakes of asian horror movies are always shitty, Buu isn't the only one who's told me this one is great so you should be fine.
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 7:00 pm

alrighty then
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Sisters   A Tale of Two Sisters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Tale of Two Sisters
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next