Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who

Go down 
+5
Kaio
Skip
Ellis
Neo
Maskull
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Empty
PostSubject: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 5:37 am

find out what all the hubub's about. I was advised by MyOwn to start on season 6 or 7, but I want to hear your thoughts on the matter. Is it worth watching? Where in the series should I start?
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 5:43 am

Don't be a bitch, watch it from the start. That show has history.
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 5:53 am

Neo wrote:
Don't be a bitch, watch it from the start. That show has history.
the show has been running since how long ago? with college and general procrastination i'd end up catching up on it after a year, maybe.
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 6:01 am

No one said this was gonna be easy. Man up.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 7:45 am

The older seasons were better anyway.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 11:06 am

I started watching from the 2005 reboot, because I like time travel stories and Moose hates it so it must be good.

But it wasn't. It was ridiculously goofy and the female protagonist was annoying as hell. I heard it gets better once Stephen Moffat jumps on board, but I currently just can't bring myself to watch more episodes.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 9:37 pm

I watched it from the reboot to the end of Tennants arc too, mostly because I loved Doctor Who when it re-aired when I was like 10, but after that I just lost interest. Tennant was alright though, he was the better than the bloke before him. Still, the old Doctor Who is better, because I was a kid and it was awesome.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 10:31 pm

you gotta be english or from an english colony to like doctor who
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 10:35 pm

Moose is English.
Back to top Go down
myownninja
Arting Starvist
myownninja

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 5:10 am

I'm not brittish, and I like doctor who. I watched a bunch of the old episodes for a filmography class many years ago but I recently started with the 9th doctor and have watched the whole series from that point on. It was practically required in my brittish lit class this past school year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.storywrite.com/mylivingmelody
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 5:20 am

You know you're English if you don't need subtitles to understand this conversation.

Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 5:43 am

Mad Love 802 wrote:
You know you're English if you don't need subtitles to understand this conversation.

Well I guess that proves that I'm not English.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:13 am

So it turns out I hadn't actually seen until the end of David Tennant's arc when I wrote that earlier post, well I have now and he's the man. I hope I enjoy Matt Smith as The Doctor just as much, if not more, as I enjoyed him.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 11:14 am

Matt Smith is a champion.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Yeah, I'll always love David Tennant because he was my first Doctor, but in Season 5 Matt Smith is written so much better. Steven Moffat shits all over Russell T. Davies.

Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 11:19 am

Well now that I'm all caught up with this I really have no idea which Doctor I like better. Both are amazing. You are right about Smith being written a lot better though, the whole series is better written now to be honest and he has a cooler theme.
I also like Amy and Rory better than any of Tennant's companions.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Yeah, Amy and Rory are both amazing.

Unfortunately Season 6 isn't as good as Season 5.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 8:42 pm

Season 6 was basically a montage of River, but it was still good. I liked A Good Man Goes to War especially, I think that was the height of the season. Just couldn't match up with the variety season 5 threw at us; plus season 5 was more fun throughout because of the main thing season 6 revolved around.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 2:56 pm

I refuse to believe that the Silence weren't directly inspired (ripped off of) by the Gentlemen in Buffy's Hush.

Tall lanky things in suits with weird faces whose victims can't let anyone know about them?
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 3:04 pm

It's really sad when a show has to resort to ripping off far superior genre classics. :/
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 6:08 pm

Bag of Oranges wrote:
I refuse to believe that the Silence weren't directly inspired (ripped off of) by the Gentlemen in Buffy's Hush.

Tall lanky things in suits with weird faces whose victims can't let anyone know about them?
I think 90% of that is you watching them close together. If you think about it objectively the only thing they have in common is the suits.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 6:11 pm

Skip wrote:
Bag of Oranges wrote:

I think 90% of that is you watching them close together. If you think about it objectively the only thing they have in common is the suits.
Also the part where nobody can tell anyone else about them, though the suits alone would be mere coincidence the two things together are a bit much.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 6:15 pm

One is everyone has lost their voice though, everyone in the city. That's really nothing like only being able to remember them while you can see them. Sure if you want to bring it down to basic levels you could draw parallels between a lot of things between any sci fi series. But that's just silly.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 6:16 pm

One application is more literal than the other, the concept is exactly the same.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 6:20 pm

It's only similar on basic levels. Look at their actual appearance. Look at their background, look at the situation. It's far too much of a push to say they're the same if you take everything into account.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who   So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So i'm thinking of watching Dr. Who
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next