Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS

Go down 
+13
SimianWonder
Talking Sock
Ellis
Maskull
Skip
DeeCee
Kaede
Kimarous
rolbat
Baal
Aristoxenus
Kaio
Superbuu3
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25 ... 32  Next
AuthorMessage
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 11:59 am

Goat sex is filler.

Episode 144 is when the plot returns to canon material.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 2:18 pm

Ace is such a loser, that was just one of the most embarassing ownings i've seen in a long time. Falling for a really obvious taunt, then trying to go for epic by saving a person he ultimately put in danger... fail on so many levels. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 5:32 pm

February 13, 2011: 487 "Akainu's Tenacity! The Fist of Magma Attacks Luffy"
February 20, 2011: 488 "A Desperate Cry - Seconds of Valor that Change Destiny"
February 27, 2011: No episode
March 6, 2011: 489 "Enter Shanks! The Ultimate War Ends at Last"
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 5:38 pm

Kaio wrote:
February 27, 2011: No episode
Outrageous.
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Is there any plan to end the series? They keep popping out more episodes like this I'll never catch up...
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 6:50 pm

They're halfway through.

=)
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 6:52 pm

And you've watched like 150 episode in 10 weeks or so, so you'll catch up pretty quick.

Unless you're going to stay with the dub, then you'll never catch up, especially considering they don't have the rights for episodes past 206 yet.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 6:07 am

Looks to me like it's time for some filler.
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 7:11 am

The japanese voices are actually pretty good compared to other shows I've tried to watch subbed. I probably will end up switching over once I run out of the Funi dub. I just love everyone's english voices so much tho.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 7:40 am

Just do what I'm doing Ellis, and watch both. Though you'll probably be lost at first since you won't be used to the different voices.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 1:41 pm

Crocodile continues to cement himself as one of he best characters with another "omg Croc" scene.

And Trafalgar Law is still awesome. Out of the non-Strawhat Supernovas, I liked him best. Good to see him return so early.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 10:13 pm

Following an ill-fated OP manga marathon a couple of years ago (as Kai will recall, I read from beginning to Alabasta arc in like three days or something silly), I'm trying OP again, but I'm watching the anime instead. Subbed, of course; Luffy's dub voice drove me insane after one episode.

Thus far, I'm up to episode 31, the start of Arlong Park (which I loved in the manga), so I've got a hell of a lot of catching up to do. Should be fun.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 10:26 pm

The anime becomes more unbearable as it goes along. Arlong and Alabasta are AMAZING in the anime and the other arcs are paced very well, but when Skypiea starts up it nosedives, so I'd say to jump back to the manga around that period. The scans also start to become very decent from that point on.

Or you can just keep going with the anime and have all these DBZ pacing shenanigans, except with a smaller budget.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 11:08 pm

To be honest, I really don't remember that much of the story; I read it so quickly that I didn't have time to really absorb it. The pacing of the anime does drag in parts, the Baratie / Don Krieg arc was at least three episodes too long, but I at least want to watch the end of Arlong Park.

After that, I might try and jump back into the manga. I was just reading through the old "I read OP so should you" topic and I'd made it up to Bellamy's introduction. I can't even remeber who Bellamy was, but there you go.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 7:35 pm

Just finished watching Arlong Park. It was great, there's just so so much warmth to the story and unlike Dragon Ball, none of the characters are useless or incidental.

I'd forgotten how awesome the walk to Arlong Park was as well. Oh well, 45 episodes down, 450 to go!
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 10:42 pm

Don't torture yourself. Stop after episode 152 and continue reading from chapter 237. And after catching up go back to the anime.

I took a look at the scans between Arlong Park and Skypiea and they're even worse than I remember. EVERY name is poorly translated. Just to name one the Going Merry is called the S.S. Forward.

Also, I hope you didn't buy into the nakama bullshit. Kaizoku Fansubs needed to translate the famous "Nami ore wa nakama da" at the end of the arc and they couldn't come up with a good substitute, so they just pretended there's no translation for the word at all.

Turns out that "Nami you are my friend" doesn't detract from the scene a single bit.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 11:50 pm

Kaio wrote:
Don't torture yourself. Stop after episode 152 and continue reading from chapter 237.

You mean watch the anime up to 152 then go back to manga chapter 237?

Quote :
I took a look at the scans between Arlong Park and Skypiea and they're even worse than I remember. EVERY name is poorly translated. Just to name one the Going Merry is called the S.S. Forward.

I remember the translations varying a lot in quality. Even Luffy's name changes several times; Luffy, Ruffy, Rufi, Ruefi...

Quote :
Also, I hope you didn't buy into the nakama bullshit. Kaizoku Fansubs needed to translate the famous "Nami ore wa nakama da" at the end of the arc and they couldn't come up with a good substitute, so they just pretended there's no translation for the word at all.

Turns out that "Nami you are my friend" doesn't detract from the scene a single bit.

I don't have a problem with the use of nakama. The sub I watched had a minute's worth of explanation at the start, explaining that some words work best in japanese, and that a 'nakama' couldn't be literally translated in one word. Did I buy that? Yes, because I don't speak japanese, and I therefor would have no idea if that's true or not. Regardless, the way I think about the concept of nakama, I'd disagree with you; changing the word for 'friend' would lose some of it's impact.

Not that I want to be weaboo or anything, but one of Luffy's greatest traits is his ferocious loyalty and I don't think just 'friends' is strong enough to convey the bond he has with his crew.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 12:24 am

Most people wouldn't die for their friends luffy would, i've always been fine with nakama even though i can see why people think its stupid, saying its untranslatable.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 12:30 am

SimianWonder wrote:
You mean watch the anime up to 152 then go back to manga chapter 237?

It's not actually going back. Episode 152 is the last episode of Jaya, chapter 237 is the beginning of Sypiea (which is where the anime started dragging).

Quote :

I remember the translations varying a lot in quality. Even Luffy's name changes several times; Luffy, Ruffy, Rufi, Ruefi...

Quote :
I don't have a problem with the use of nakama. The sub I watched had a minute's worth of explanation at the start, explaining that some words work best in japanese, and that a 'nakama' couldn't be literally translated in one word. Did I buy that? Yes, because I don't speak japanese, and I therefor would have no idea if that's true or not. Regardless, the way I think about the concept of nakama, I'd disagree with you; changing the word for 'friend' would lose some of it's impact.

Not that I want to be weaboo or anything, but one of Luffy's greatest traits is his ferocious loyalty and I don't think just 'friends' is strong enough to convey the bond he has with his crew.

Nakama doesn't mean "something more than friend" though. It's just a Japanese word that literally means "being part of a close group of people". It can mean friend and it can mean crewmate. But it absolutely does not have a deeper meaning than friend just because it doesn't have a clear English definition is ridiculous.

To add to that, actions speak louder than words. We don't need to have a special word to know how much Luffy cares about his friends. When Luffy calls Nami his friend, we know how much weight the statement carries, because of everything Luffy did for her, not because of the terminology he uses to word himself. Not to mention that it's not just Luffy and company who refer to their close ones as nakama. Crocodile calls the people in Baroque Works his nakama, even though he's a nihilist who trust nobody. Vegeta calls Raditz and Nappa his nakama, even though he didn't give a crap about the former and killed the latter.

Any person who speaks Japanese will tell you that there's nothing special about the word nakama. Even Dythim, the original Kaizoku-Fansubs translator later admitted that the only reason he used nakama was because he couldn't find a nice sounding English translation for it.

Here's a discussion on the OP Wikia that pretty much kills any defense for the word: http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Nakama_Translation
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 12:34 am

Superbuu3 wrote:
Most people wouldn't die for their friends luffy would, i've always been fine with nakama even though i can see why people think its stupid, saying its untranslatable.

So? Most people wouldn't die for a person that's part of your group either.

Nakama is an absolutely abritrary word with no meaning and anyone who uses it is only uses it because it's in a language they can't understand and give it magical meaning that baka gaijin languages can never properly put into words. These people are also known as WEEABOOS.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 12:47 am

How about "Bros n' Bitches"?
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 1:08 am

Kaio wrote:
Superbuu3 wrote:

So? Most people wouldn't die for a person that's part of your group either.

Nakama is an absolutely abritrary word with no meaning and anyone who uses it is only uses it because it's in a language they can't understand and give it magical meaning that baka gaijin languages can never properly put into words. These people are also known as WEEABOOS.
Not really sure what your saying here I never said they would. That was my point.

Any show that uses the word friends alot sounds kiddy they wanted to make it seem deeper and for an adult group despite the fact it isn't. I wouldn't blame kaizoku as much as i'd blame the countless fanslation groups and fanbase who copied there idea.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 1:25 am

Superbuu3 wrote:
Not really sure what your saying here I never said they would. That was my point.

You were saying that friends wouldn't die for another, but Luffy would, hence being the word friend being wrong. But nakama would then be a reasonable alternative, even though it has less meaning than a friend.

Quote :
Any show that uses the word friends alot sounds kiddy they wanted to make it seem deeper and for an adult group despite the fact it isn't.

No, they didn't. They outright said they couldn't find a translation so they didn't translate it at all. I'm pretty sure that people who started watching One Piece weren't expecting anything less than a show for kids.

Quote :
I wouldn't blame kaizoku as much as i'd blame the countless fanslation groups and fanbase who copied there idea.

They are the only ones to blame, because they were the only subber for a numerous amount of years and they continued to hold on to the fact that nakama was a magical word that couldn't be translated. It's only logical that scanlators and fansubbers joined the bandwagon, because the fanbase didn't know anything else than what K-F fed them, so they expected nothing less than NAKAMA all over the place (and a slew of other Japanese words that can easily be translated like ossan). And, like Simian, they didn't know Japanese, so they just assumed the ones who did know the language were right.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 10:24 am

Quote :
Our translation note explaining the term was in Episode 38.

Basically, we were not happy with any english translation of "nakama".

"Friend" is far too weak a word, as Luffy refers to Coby as his "friend" but entirely distinct from his "nakama". "Crewmate" is also too weak.

"Comrade" is an appropriate translation in many cases, but not for One Piece. And stretching it a little more, "mate" may also fit. But we found their use to be awkward in sentences, giving misleading meanings. And also, our subs are geared toward American English, for better or for worse.

It's not that English lacks the same concept. Most people who have competed at a serious level in sports, pledged a fraternity, or joined the Marines probably have a very good idea of what it means. Your frat brother is not simply your "friend"; he is much more. Similarly, when you operate in teams you must trust the other members while holding yourself accountable to them.

So, when it came down to what Luffy should yell after defeating Arlong, we went with we thought sounded best...
"Nami, you are my nakama!"

And now you know the reason behind the One Piece song "Family"
Firstly i'm sure anything I say will have no effect on you as you strongly believe they were being dicks when they wrote this.

Here's what i think on the matter, just so you don't think i'm being a total dick:
Its basically because even if someone says there your friend that actually means fuck all these days because people are hateful pricks. He even says nakama means friend. I rarely call people friend who i even meet several times. Only the people closest to me do i refer to using this word. Other people use it loosely having met me once for example or having been introduced to myself they may refer to me as friend. Words used a lot lose meaning. interestingly I rarely here people ever use the word love, some people don't say it at all, if someone said they loved someone i'd normally take there word for it. If someone referred to them as there friend I wouldn't really grade it as much unless they'd shard an important experience together.

If you've shared a life experience with people you'll get a better picture of this kind of thing there talking about. Now one can explain what he's trying to say unless they've felt they've experienced this kinda thing. I don't think it was coincidence the old people here (me and sim) thought it was alright to use it given his explanation.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 11:43 am

Superbuu3 wrote:
I rarely call people friend who i even meet several times. Only the people closest to me do i refer to using this word. Other people use it loosely having met me once for example or having been introduced to myself they may refer to me as friend. Words used a lot lose meaning.
I've noticed this too, and I'm the same. I'll only use friend to refer to people I know well enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS   One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS - Page 18 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One piece sub (up to date anime - no manga) MAJOR-SPOILERS
Page 18 of 32Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25 ... 32  Next