Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Finally time to move the fat PS3 on...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

Finally time to move the fat PS3 on... Empty
PostSubject: Finally time to move the fat PS3 on...   Finally time to move the fat PS3 on... Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 11:58 am

After six years, my PS3 and I are looking like we're going our separate ways.  Mine is the Uk spec 60gb fat model, including the much-sought after PS1/PS2 backwards compatibility and it's currently my sole method of playing 3D Blu-Rays.  Thing is, it's not been quite right for a while and contrary to popular wisdom, it's been less reliable than my old 360 Elite (which I sold when I bought my One), and on par with the RROD experienced on my older launch edition 20GB 360 (which I sold to buy the Elite); it's had the YLOD a number of times, been sent off for repairs and come back fixed, albeit temporarily.

Now, changing subject somewhat, but isn't PS+ great?  Well, it'd be better if I could have more than one game at a time downloaded, that's for sure.  The Last of Us (which I couldn't get on) was a 19GB download, Tomb Raider (which I downloaded for the Mrs) is a 13GB download.  That's over 2/3rds of the usable hard drive already taken, and that doesn't include films, photos, music etc.  I was going to order a 500GB hard drive and simply retro fit that into my fat, but there's another issue which has recently gotten worse again and that's fan noise.  Prior to the previous YLODs, the fan started running loudly, and I mean really, really loud, like having a miniature jet in the corner of the room.  Watching films has become a chore as you simply can't hear dialogue over the din the PS3 makes, and most games - even those high on explosive content and less concerned with the subtlety of talking - have to be cranked up stupidly high to mask it.  In contrast, the Xbox One is utterly silent, even the original PS2 and PS1 models, both of which are much obviously older than the PS3 offer near-silence in comparison.

I also rarely if ever find myself using the backwards compatibility of the PS3 any more.  yes, it was fun initially, giving the PS3 access to a huge back catalogue of excellent PS/PS2 games, but in the last two years I've only played Persona 4 through it, and I'll not play the Ps2 version of that ever again thanks to Golden on the Vita.  So, with another YLOD looking like it might rear it's head soon, and the hard drive space now woefully insufficient for my digital collection (thanks again IGC!), I've decided it's time to bite the bullet and get a newer PS3 Super Slim 500gb, that will run a little quieter and offer much more storage space.

To make matters sweeter, I nabbed one off ebay for less than a £100, boxed, with controller and Uncharted 3.  So, the 60Gb will soon be up for sale.  It has been a faithful servant for the last few years but is perhaps a final indictment of the fact that the more complicated our technology gets, the quicker it starts to wrong.
Back to top Go down
testtubebaby
Skypiea Priest
testtubebaby

PostSubject: Re: Finally time to move the fat PS3 on...   Finally time to move the fat PS3 on... Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 3:10 pm

ps1 games can be played on all ps3's iirc but the fact that yours plays ps2 games makes it more valuable than the 120gb versions so take that into consideration if you are going to part ex it for a 320/500 GB version. i have a 320 & i have 30ish games stored on mine with about 100GB left
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Finally time to move the fat PS3 on...   Finally time to move the fat PS3 on... Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 4:56 pm

I'm not going to part-ex it; I've bought a super slim off ebay, and will offer the 60GB Fat the same way. Shouldn't be more than a twenty quid swing in it, all told.
Back to top Go down
????
Butter Bomb

PostSubject: Re: Finally time to move the fat PS3 on...   Finally time to move the fat PS3 on... Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 8:02 pm

Well you need to ditch that fat bitch. She was secretly cheating on you anyways.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally time to move the fat PS3 on...   Finally time to move the fat PS3 on... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally time to move the fat PS3 on...
Page 1 of 1