Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Empty
PostSubject: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 9:29 pm

Certainly one of the better games in the series, and surprisingly that's because of the clank parts. The Zoni thing from the last game comes to fruition and he gets his own levels and story for once. And they're actually more interesting than Ratchet's parts, although the new Lombax character Alistair Azimuth is there to provide the intrigue in Ratchet's part of the story. A lot of effort seems to have gone in to the story overall this time, and it's much better than I expected it to be.

Clank's parts are mainly great because I love the time puzzles. They start out simple as shit but they get more complicated, and there's 3 special ones that are pretty damn tricky. I was actually disappointed by how little time is spent on the Clank parts of the game. You get one Clank part for every Ratchet part, but each Ratchet part is a big sector of space with 2 or 3 big levels and 4 or 5 little moons that have special items on them. The space exploration is alright, but it's on a flat plane, which is boring. I miss the space battles from R&C 2. The moons get repetitive as hell too.

Nefarious is back as the villain, which was actually wasted on me a bit. I did play the 3rd one, but I barely remember it for some reason. Anyway, he's a good villain, and fairly funny.

A lot of the weapons are recycled from ToD, and I mean that. They're not different weapons that do basically the same thing, it's just the same weapons. You get a discount on them for having the ToD game data installed on your system though. From ToD you get Mr. Zurkon, Buzz Blades, the Negotiator, Mag-Net Launcher, and the Groovitron, although the gold Groovitron with infinite ammo is gone (which is probably for the best, since that thing was more broken than the RYNO IV). The rest are the same kind of weapons that appear in every game. A blaster, a shotgun, a bomb glove, sniper rifle (which is fucking useless), RYNO, etc.

The new, and I mean properly new (although I might have forgotten some from the past games, weapons are the Tesla Spikes, Cryomine Glove, the Spiral of Death, the Rift Inducer, and the Sonic Erupter. The Tesla Spikes are little spikes that you throw. They stick in the ground and zap nearby enemies, but if throw another one down close to it electricity flows between them. So you can throw a bunch down in a crowd and electricity runs between them all. The Cryomine Glove just freezes a single enemy when they close enough to the mine, it's pretty crap. The Spiral of Death fires a big circular blade that goes out and the returns to the weapon, so it can hit enemies on the way back as well. It fires 3 blades when you upgrade it, and it's actually pretty powerful. The Rift Inducer creates a portal above you, and tentacles come out to grab enemies. The Sonic Eruptor is basically a shotgun, but it's more powerful depending on when you shoot it. It's some weird animal with a huge mouth, and it belches when you pull the trigger. Firing it when it's cheeks are bigger gives a more powerful belch.

Also, the pre-rendered cut scenes look fucking amazing. Which is nice, but all it does is make you wish the game looked like that all the time.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 11:53 pm

I'm not that far into the game yet, but what I loved was that it brought back the heavy focus on platforming, that slowly dissapeared with every new game that came out.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 12:05 am

I never really noticed that.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 6:56 pm

I just got to the Insomniac Museum. It's annoying to see some of the potentially cool stuff they cut out.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 12:54 am

i'm gonna get this ordering it now
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 8:58 pm

I really wish they could make the game look as nice as the pre-rendered cutscenes. They might even be the same character models used for both, but the animation, and lighting in particular, is brilliant in the cut scenes.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 11:43 pm

well i'm mainly gettung this to eat time while i wait till yakuza 3 comes out

i enjoyed the clank level in the demo so i'm hoping his sections are good
this would be my first ps3 r and c so i'll probably like it either way

the others looked pretty miuch the same as the ps2 ones
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 3:07 am

I like this

its nothing groundbreaking but its definitely playable

and the timewarping parts of the game are interesting fun and fairly original to
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 3:09 am

The mnemonic station puzzles are great.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 3:14 am

its the best part of the game

shame even on hard this is laughably easy

the only real challenge is its pretty much one hit death at the moment

i could finish this in a few hours i think
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 3:31 am

My first go through was about 14 hours I think, and that was on Normal.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 3:43 am

i played for a couple of hours and i completely cleared out the first solar system only one gold bolt missing i think, but that was visible and obvious to get

are there many solar systems
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 5:32 am

There's 5 I think. Maybe 6. Some have more planets and moons than the others.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 1:24 pm

nice i quite like the moon levels its quite a nice change of pace

and its good to see the series go back to its roots
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:00 am

almost completely done on my first run on hard

just gotta do one ratchet puzzle for the final gold bolt

the final puzzles take a while

all round game was pretty decent
but the RYNO V was shitter then the RYNO
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:34 am

Yeah, the RYNO V is only really worth it at close range. What did you think of the final boss?
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:47 am

if we're talking secret boss not done him yet gonna do that after i get one more gold bolt

the final boss was kinda predictable, was kinda cool, but would of been better if it was tougher
in terms of story telling i thought it was awesome and i did really like the ending
overall the game was great although they should of paced the time puzzles better
and the nerfed guns took fun out of the game they clearly made the gunds shitter to make the game more challenging but seriously the new weapons were alterations of the old weapons to make them crapper like the rift one

although:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:52 am

Yeah, I wondered that too. No idea what happened to him. I did like the gun with the saw blades that shoot out and come back though. Surprisingly powerful too.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:57 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
Yeah, I wondered that too. No idea what happened to him. I did like the gun with the saw blades that shoot out and come back though. Surprisingly powerful too.

that one was fan made probably why it was overpowered

i hated the constructo guns
the disc blade gun was awesome and the saw blade one you mentioned
i think this is the first time the sniper seemed vaguely useful but it was still shit
for sheer comic value mr zurkon was awesome, also he was handy i tried not to use him too much game is easy enough already

I think there was like 17 guns the only reason i used most of them was cause i was trying to get them to level 5, so i dunno if i can really say i liked many of them at all
comparing this to R and C 3 and 1 both of those games had way better weapons
but i can impagine guns like the old machine gun no idea what it was called would make this game even easier then it already is

regardless of the flaw in weaponry though i really enjoyed this game and i will probably have a playthrough on challenge mode before i trade it in (i'm gonna get yakuza 3 and RE5 gold)
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 5:01 am

The disc shooter thing has been the best gun in every game it's been in. High damage, long range, everything. Some of the weapons were just useless though, like the cryomines and the sniper. The Groovitron makes things easy, but at least it's not broken this time around. In Tools of Destruction you could get a Gold Groovitron on challenge mode which had unlimited ammo.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 5:08 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
The disc shooter thing has been the best gun in every game it's been in. High damage, long range, everything. Some of the weapons were just useless though, like the cryomines and the sniper. The Groovitron makes things easy, but at least it's not broken this time around. In Tools of Destruction you could get a Gold Groovitron on challenge mode which had unlimited ammo.

cryomine just pissed me off its basically a really shit version of the groovitron thata only targets one persona nd does'nt last long

oh i forgot about the mag-net gun i quite liked that one, when i level 5ed it that had decent power

yeah i think they made a good move making ammo for groovitron extremely limited you can't even pick up ammo in crates for it or at least i never seemed to find any and i never buy ammo so i basically didn't use it except in the battleplex

the dynamo gun was a good idea but does not work at all like it says seriously it moves in one direction and just goes down it
the sonic eruptor was a rally bad version of a gun in 3 as well iys damage output was pathetic out side of one hit death enemies

i'm hoping on challenge mode some of these guns get better so i can actually enjoy using them

also this game has some seriously fucked up bugs, like this one that stops my water gun thing from working, on one of the planets it fucked up everytime i did it so i just got to the highest point and leap of faithed off the planet to land on the platform luckily it worked or i wouldn't have been able to get the bolt
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 5:16 am

The Dynamo Gun was just a crappier version of the tornado gun from ToD, which fired a tornado that you controlled with the sixaxis. I didn't really like it, but it worked better than the Dynamo gun.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 5:21 am

making new weapons rather then making similar weapons to older games would of been better

and the constructo guns were a lazy way of removing half the guns in the game

I do wonder where teh series goes from here though
after time altering is involved in a series things can seem a bit bland comparatively afterwards

was tempted to get ToD but i think i may look into uncharted next time i get a platformer
mainly cause these games are just getting a bit too easy
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 5:32 am

Yeah, Uncharted's Crushing mode is a challenge. Was for me anyway. There's not much point getting ToD really, it didn't feel like much effort had been put into it.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:43 am

actuallly just played up your arsenal a bit

that game is just way better then this
there's so much more to do

i hope the next game is more like the original trilogy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.   So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So R&C: A Crack in Time is pretty good.
Page 1 of 1