Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So changing my PS3 HDD was a bit annoying

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

So changing my PS3 HDD was a bit annoying Empty
PostSubject: So changing my PS3 HDD was a bit annoying   So changing my PS3 HDD was a bit annoying Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 12:54 am

I followed this guide;

http://vgstrategies.about.com/od/ps3cheatsandcodes/a/PS3HDDDriveSwap.htm

I bought this HDD;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0031M9JCE

Physically replacing it was easy as piss. The guide explains it. Just unscrew the old one and slot the new one in.

What the guide glances over is software side of it. I backed up my old HDD using the PS3's backup utility before changing it. But I later found it this was utterly poinless for me as all that transfers over is game saves. I have Plus so the cloud saving takes care of that. All your PSN content; games, themes, and avatars, will not transfer to the new HDD when you try to restore it. But if you don't have Plus the back up is necessary to keep our saves. Make sure you sync your trophies before changing the HDD, because those aren't included in the back up.

As for restoring the backup once the HDD is switched, you will need a USB storage device with the latest firmware on it. Create the file directory "PS3 > UPDATE", download the firmware from your region's Playstation site and put it in the UPDATE folder. When you first start up your PS3 it will say the HDD is incorrect and the system won't start. Turn it off and on again and it will ask for the firmware. Stick the USB stick in the PS3 and continue. It will format the HDD and install the firmware. Then you can restore your backup.

That's how it all worked for me.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So changing my PS3 HDD was a bit annoying   So changing my PS3 HDD was a bit annoying Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 12:57 am

Eh really, maybe my brothers was different as it was a fat. Did you need to reactivate your accounts?

IIRC with my bro's we backed up and all the game data utility carried over, PSN titles did need to be redownloaded though.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: So changing my PS3 HDD was a bit annoying   So changing my PS3 HDD was a bit annoying Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 1:07 am

Mine's a fat. But it's the final fat model before the slims replaced them. I had to log in to my account through the create-new-account thing, and re-enter my CC info.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So changing my PS3 HDD was a bit annoying   So changing my PS3 HDD was a bit annoying Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 1:16 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
Mine's a fat. But it's the final fat model before the slims replaced them. I had to log in to my account through the create-new-account thing, and re-enter my CC info.
Weird sounded different to how my bro's stuff worked.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So changing my PS3 HDD was a bit annoying   So changing my PS3 HDD was a bit annoying Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So changing my PS3 HDD was a bit annoying
Page 1 of 1