Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

should I get Skyrim ?

Go down 
+5
Kaede
Ellis
Neo
SimianWonder
Eevil-Psycho
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

should I get Skyrim ? Empty
PostSubject: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 4:00 pm

I'm usually not into this type of games, but lately I really feel the need for games that can keep me going for quite a long time. the last 5-6 games i bought can all be finished in a couple of hours (except for Dead Island) and I'm getting tired of short games, with not all that much replayability.

sure there's often multiplayer, but that'll only last for so long...

So I've been checking Skyrim out, and I can honestly say it piqued my interest. But I don't know if it's really something for me if I never really played the genre.

It does look appealing though.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Oblivion was fantastic, I can't see Skyrim being any less. A word of warning though; don't expect much hand holding. Oblivion was very much a case of "here's a short dungeon/tutorial, then here's this massive world to mess about in, go and have fun!"

You were basically left to your own devices to go and explore and while you could simply follow the main story that would see you bypass 80% of the game. A lot of people complained there was too much to see and do, and they got intimidated by the size because they didn't know where to start. For the record, I sunk 150 hours into Oblivion and it remains one of my favourite games of this generation.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 4:22 pm

You could get Oblivion on pc if you want a game with just about infinite playability, there are literally thousands of mods for it and more being released/updated all the time.

I wouldn't get Skyrim on release as there's bound to be a GotY edition and I'm not sure if it's going to have mod tools which is honestly a make or break thing, playing any Bethesda game without, at the very least, the fanmade bug fixes can be an extremely painful experience.
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 4:37 pm

I need something come end of the year... ok, there's a couple of games I want, but those all fall in the category of being able to finish in a couple of hours and then multiplayer for a while...and after those, there's like nothing I want to play for a couple of months... so I need something in there, so having to wait for a GOTY edition is not really an option..

anyways, I don't need games to hold me by the hand, if they just give me the basics of how to play it, i'll be fine. besides, i love exploring, so half of the time, I'm just gonna be running around not caring for story and do what I feel like doing.

are these mods on console too? cause my PC probably isn't strong enough to run these games...
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 4:49 pm

Eevil-Psycho wrote:
are these mods on console too? cause my PC probably isn't strong enough to run these games...
Not on PS3 I don't think, though I remember hearing that people got them working on modded 360s.
I should have mentioned though that Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas have been patched a few times on all platforms so they're much less buggy now, it's just around the release that's really bad.

Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 5:00 pm

If you're going to get it don't get it when it first comes out. If the Fallout games taught me anything it's that Bethesda and friends can't get shit right at release. I mean constant freezing is one thing but the quests were glitchy too. Is it still on the same engine as all the others? I probably wouldn't get it at all if that's the case.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Get it. But don't do the main quest. Do some side quests, or my favourite, steal every piece of cutlery you can find, and hide it in your house.
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 5:05 pm

from what I gather, it's a new engine called "Creation" or something like that Ellis..
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Well hopefully it's more stable than what they were using. It pissed me off to no end in New Vegas cuz there were like 5-6 missions that could never be finished once started due to glictches.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 5:20 pm

I'd say get oblivion GOTY if you like LOTR. Get Fallout 3 GOTY if you really like guns.

Screw getting skyrim, i would recommend new vegas but the GOTY will be around the corner adn won't be announced far in advance.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Ellis wrote:
Well hopefully it's more stable than what they were using. It pissed me off to no end in New Vegas cuz there were like 5-6 missions that could never be finished once started due to glictches.
There's nothing wrong with Gamebryo, the engine that all their recent games have been on, the problem is that Bethesda as a whole are fucking shit at everything that isn't creating huge sandbox environments.

You've seen the animations in these games I'm sure, as well as the character modelling, voice acting (this is more down to the people they hire), coding in general (bugs and glitches out the ass), AI etc etc...
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Superbuu3 wrote:
I'd say get oblivion GOTY if you like LOTR. Get Fallout 3 GOTY if you really like guns.

Screw getting skyrim, i would recommend new vegas but the GOTY will be around the corner adn won't be announced far in advance.
A new DLC came out for NV this week, with the release of Skyrim so close I doubt we'll see a GOTY version till next year with a Skyrim GOTY in 2013 at the earliest.
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 5:27 pm

I don't really care for Fallout anyways, I've been thinking about getting it once, but after watching a heap of vids on it, I couldn't really find anything in it that looked interesting to me..
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Eevil-Psycho wrote:
I don't really care for Fallout anyways, I've been thinking about getting it once, but after watching a heap of vids on it, I couldn't really find anything in it that looked interesting to me..
In that case just be aware that Oblivion and, most likely, Skyrim are exactly the same as Fallout 3/NV with swords/bows/magic instead of guns.
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 5:55 pm

hence why it does interest me, the major problem with Fallout is that I don't care for it's post-apocalyptic setting
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 6:01 pm

I'm the exact opposite. The reason I don't care about the Oblivion is the whole fantasy setting. I've never been a fan of playing fantasy games. I like reading good fantasy books but I just can't play games about it for some reason. I love the post-apacolyptic setting though.
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 6:22 pm

so what about Final Fantasy then Ellis? Razz
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 6:29 pm

Ellis hates america, its why he thinks Japan is so much better then america especially in terms of fantasy.

Ben affleck would be ashamed.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 6:39 pm

I loved Oblivion but didn't get on with Fallout 3. Make of that what you will.
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 6:46 pm

Jrpgs are a different case. What I meant was in an oblivion/fallout world where exploring and openworldness are key, I'd rather be in post-apacolyptic areas than exploring fantasy. Story-centric rpgs are different. Plus I wouldn't really call FFXIII a fantasy in the classic definition of the word.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 6:52 pm

Ellis wrote:
Jrpgs are a different case. What I meant was in an oblivion/fallout world where exploring and openworldness are key, I'd rather be in post-apacolyptic areas than exploring fantasy. Story-centric rpgs are different. Plus I wouldn't really call FFXIII a fantasy in the classic definition of the word.
You liked all the other FF games too commie.

WHY DO YOU HATE FREEDOM ELLIS? WHY?
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 6:55 pm

I don't understand what that has to do with anything. All the other FF's are jrpg's too.

And someone who lives under a monarchy has no right to talk about freedom, since you have none.
Back to top Go down
Zero
The Hero
Zero

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 6:57 pm

Oblivion was pretty good. So I'd say this should be a fantastic price drop buy.
Back to top Go down
http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 7:00 pm

Ellis wrote:
I don't understand what that has to do with anything. All the other FF's are jrpg's too.

And someone who lives under a monarchy has no right to talk about freedom, since you have none.
Ellis wrote:
Plus I wouldn't really call FFXIII a fantasy in the classic definition of the word.

So you think that people who are dictated over should continue to be dictated over and not have freedom.

What have you become?
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 7:04 pm

...a heartless monster

But still I'll talk to my bro Obama and see what he can do about liberating you guys from that kinda tyranny. Don't let the word get out. I hear she can still behead people for these types of things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: should I get Skyrim ?   should I get Skyrim ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

should I get Skyrim ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next