Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Comic book recommendations

Go down 
+3
Savage
Superbuu3
Kaio
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

Comic book recommendations Empty
PostSubject: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 3:17 pm

I just finished reading the Marvel Ultimate universe and I greatly enjoyed it, so I want to read more comics, preferably Spidey and X-Men. I've tried getting into the very first issues of Amazing Spider-Man, but I didn't really like the self-contained stories. I'm really looking for multi-issue story arcs with some sort of of emotional involvement. I haven't tried reading early X-Men yet, so I don't know if those actually do have arcs. My favourite X-Men are Wolverine, Rogue and Kitty (probably the only one who likes her, but I LOVED her interaction with Spidey and her teenage drama is hilarious). Also, as I said, I really enjoyed the Ultimate series, which most comic book fans apparantly hate, so there must be some stories out there that I will really, really, really like.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 1:23 am

Wolverine First Class is Kitty with wolverine thats pretty short
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 1:38 am

Awesome. Will read that.
Back to top Go down
Savage
Solar-Charged

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 1:40 am

Spider-Man recommendation topic.

gamefaqs.com/boards/206-comics-and-graphic-novels/57977462
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 1:55 am

Superbuu3 wrote:
Wolverine First Class is Kitty with wolverine thats pretty short

Seriously, this is one of the best X-Men comics I have read and since it's basically the Adventures of Kitty Pryde and Wolverine (My favorite X-Men) it makes the experience that much better.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 1:57 am

I don't like those characters and even i liked it, so i'm guessing a fan would like it a lot. I liked that spiderman one you told me to read but i can't remember its name.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 1:58 am

Quote :
which most comic book fans apparantly hate

The hate for the Ultimate Universe only came after Ultimatum... good lord, Ultimatum. Every Ultimate series after Ultimatum turned bad except for Ultimate Spidey.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 1:59 am

Superbuu3 wrote:
I don't like those characters and even i liked it, so i'm guessing a fan would like it a lot. I liked that spiderman one you told me to read but i can't remember its name.

New Ways To Die? American Son? Spider-Man Noir?
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 2:02 am

Baal wrote:
Quote :

The hate for the Ultimate Universe only came after Ultimatum... good lord, Ultimatum. Every Ultimate series after Ultimatum turned bad except for Ultimate Spidey.

I had to stop reading Ultimate Spidey, because the art was just too terrible to continue reading. It's a shame, because a comic starring Peter, Kitty, Johnny Storm, Gwen Stacy and Spider-Woman is instant win for me. Gwen especially looked downright horrid.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 2:03 am

Baal wrote:
Superbuu3 wrote:

I suspect its new ways to die

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 2:05 am

I have to agree, the art isn't that great. Oh and if you want to continue enjoying comic books, DON'T EVER READ ULTIMATUM!

It is by and far one of the worst THINGS I have ever read in my life. Worse than any fanfiction you can name, I'd go as far to say it's worse than My Immortal but they are both on equal levels of atrocity and this is coming from a guy who enjoys looking at bad things.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 2:06 am

Superbuu3 wrote:
Baal wrote:
Superbuu3 wrote:

I suspect its new ways to die

Spoiler:

Yes, it is one of my favorite Venom stories, hell I even bought the actual comic at the mall about a week back.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 2:11 am

Spoiler:

Amazing.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 2:12 am

The best part about that is Wolverine's cocky smile in the last panel.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 2:13 am

Baal wrote:
I have to agree, the art isn't that great. Oh and if you want to continue enjoying comic books, DON'T EVER READ ULTIMATUM!

It is by and far one of the worst THINGS I have ever read in my life. Worse than any fanfiction you can name, I'd go as far to say it's worse than My Immortal but they are both on equal levels of atrocity and this is coming from a guy who enjoys looking at bad things.

I already read Ultimatum. I didn't really care for it. The gore was terrible, the random deaths was terrible and the cliffhanger was terrible, but the stories related to Ultimatum not written by Jeph Loeb were pretty enjoyable (the last issues of USM/UXM/UFF and Requiem basically).
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 3:16 am

I've been meaning to get started on Marvel comics properly for a while now, thanks for reminding me.

I just started a torrent for:

Spoiler:

Where would be a good place to start?
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 3:28 am

Doesn't the torrent have a reading order fike? It's definitely better when you read them in the correct order.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 3:30 am

Ah yes, there is a reading order in there. Awesome.
Back to top Go down
Savage
Solar-Charged

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 3:37 am

Skip wrote:

Spoiler:
Ouch. Sounds like a looot of screen-staring.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 3:41 am

Savage∞ wrote:
Skip wrote:

Spoiler:
Ouch. Sounds like a looot of screen-staring.
Maybe, but it's free and I have no money.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 7:00 am

Kaio wrote:
Baal wrote:
Quote :

I had to stop reading Ultimate Spidey, because the art was just too terrible to continue reading. It's a shame, because a comic starring Peter, Kitty, Johnny Storm, Gwen Stacy and Spider-Woman is instant win for me. Gwen especially looked downright horrid.

I found the Ultimate Comics: Spide-Man art tolerable, but my God do I hate the faces sometimes. I really do miss the old, iconic art style the series used to have back in the original Ultimate series.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 11:21 am

The first artstyle was beautiful, but I didn't mind the second artstyle either. The artist managed to do some pretty funny facial expressions.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 11:53 am

There's been a bunch of artists and colorists throughout this Spidey series.

-The original artist(s).
-This one artist who came in when Spidey and Kitty started going out(then it went back to the original artist).
-The dude who did all those parts post-Clone Saga such as Osborn's death, the arc based on the video game, and Ultimatum.
-The artist who draws everyone with weird anime-esque faces.

There may be more I missed.

My favourites are the original style and the one used during the final volumes before Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man began.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Chocolate
Spartan
Dr. Chocolate

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 12:48 pm

Comic book recommendations Bagley_spiderman4
Mark Bagley's work on Ultimate Spider-Man made me a fan of his, back in the 90s his arts wasn't worse, he just drew too many details, 90s were bad for comics art

For main X-Men I only read what Claremont wrote, it starts with issue 095. The Phoenix Saga has one thing so stupid, but the story itself is generally good, surpasses its animated adaption IMO
One X-Men writer got bashed a lot by mutant lovers, Chuck Austin, he wrote comics early in the past decade, I thought his work is decent
New X-Men by Grant Morrison, I heard plenty of recommendations for that run. At first I thought his Batman is overrated, reading more improved my point of his work, I really appreciate it, I expect his X-Men stories to be fun as well

If you'd like to start reading Iron Man start with issue 120 or a little before it, that's when Iron Man book became better

I can't recommend Spider-Man to you, cause I'd recommend all of it

Hopefully you enjoy Claremont's X-Men enough to enjoy this guy
Comic book recommendations 15873-2766-17685-1-iron-fist_super1
V1 was written by the Claremont, his stories are followed in Power Man & Iron Fist 50 by the same writer
Back to top Go down
Dr. Chocolate
Spartan
Dr. Chocolate

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 12:59 pm

Sora wrote:
-The original artist(s).
He drew the 1st 110 issues alone, plus issue 1/2 introducing Iron Fist
On issue 111 he worked on the panels Peter was shown talking with his aunt, the rest of the story was drawn by the guy that followed
Quote :
-This one artist who came in when Spidey and Kitty started going out(then it went back to the original artist).
That would be Mark Brooks, he only drew annuals 1 & 2
Quote :
-The dude who did all those parts post-Clone Saga such as Osborn's death, the arc based on the video game, and Ultimatum.
Starting with issue 111
Quote :
-The artist who draws everyone with weird anime-esque faces.
That would be David Lafuente. He also drew annual 3, the issue introducing Mysterio, it came before Ultimatum

There is a story drawn by a Japanese artist between what Lafuente did in UCSM, the story involving Rick Jones turning him to Nova, I forgot his name
Since UCSM 15 a female started drawing the series, her art isn't that far from Lafuente's work
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comic book recommendations   Comic book recommendations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comic book recommendations
Page 1 of 1