Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Enslaved: Odyssey To The West

Go down 
+3
Superbuu3
Talking Sock
A_Nonny_Moose
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kimarous
CP9 Agent
Kimarous

Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 6:43 pm

Enslaved gives you a button that says "hey". So, use it!

http://www.twitvid.com/DNUDB
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 1:54 am

Well, I'm quite surprised by the game so far. Mostly good surprises as well.

It's just as impossible to fail at platforming as it was in the demo, but it's even more restricted than I would like. There was one part in particular where I had climbed a few floors inside a broken building, and then wanted to go back down again to collect shit once all the mechs were dealt. I got up there via pipes and ledges, but couldn't get back down that way. For some reason I can't jump backwards off a pipe to the platform I initially leaped from to get to the pipe. And for some other reason I couldn't just drop off the edge of the broken floor on to the floor below.

And the prompts. Oh the prompts. I figured they would go away, but whenever there's an object I need to interact with by pressing circle, some text pops up telling me to interact with it by pressing circle. Every time. It really makes the game feel like it was designed for idiots.

And yet, on the other hand, the combat and level design are more challenging than I expected them to be. Unlike I first thought, the game doesn't go with the lazy screen-gets-red-when-your-about-to-die-but-health-regenerates-really-fast system. The screen goes red when you take a hit, but you do have a health bar, and even though I'm only playing on normal you take a fair bit of damage when you actually get hit. It doesn't regenerate either, you have to find health packs around the levels. Of course there's health and shield upgrades and stuff, but I'm holding off on the health upgrades for now because I'm enjoying this unexpected turn.

The level design, as mentioned above, is better than I was expecting too. The platforming sections are impossible to cock up, as I said, but you do get some choices in how you deal with things. Mechs are often inactive until you get close to them, so sometimes you have the choice to fight or just bypass them. At one point there was one mech with a gun arm, that you can tear off with a special takedown if you want, and a bunch of other mechs. I missed the takedown so I had to just fight the rest of the mechs normally. Some mechs will call for back if you don't defeat them fast enough. And so on. It's actually not a lot, but it feels like it because of the rest of the game is designed.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 1:57 am

Oh, and there is some of those Uncharted moments where your platforming is interrupted by the thing you're on collapsing. They provide the only risk as far as that goes.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 2:22 am

Is the game satisfying and great or just rental-worthy?
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 2:28 am

It's certainly satisfying. Don't know if it's great yet.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 1:17 pm

What's the final verdict?
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 1:19 pm

Just rent it, if he's done with it that quickly it can't be that great.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 1:25 pm

Renting is illegal here. It's buying or not buying, brah. And the story of it just looks so damn good. I was half sold after the demo cutscene where Trip puts the headband on Monkey. The way they moved, talked, how the scenery looked, it's just so satisfying.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 1:36 pm

Kaede wrote:
Renting is illegal here. It's buying or not buying, brah. And the story of it just looks so damn good. I was half sold after the demo cutscene where Trip puts the headband on Monkey. The way they moved, talked, how the scenery looked, it's just so satisfying.
Your going all girly again.

Put it this way, if you like platforming games with non existent platforming or exploration, then this is for you. You will essentially be playing an interactive movie, in terms of platforming as you can't mess it up. As nonny keeps pointing out the combat isn't the games thing, but i see it as the only thing you can actually do what you want on. That just screams not worth buying, if you really need it wait for a price drop, way better games are coming out on this lead up to christmas unless you have disposable income.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 3:10 pm

Kaede wrote:
Renting is illegal here. It's buying or not buying, brah.

Then kick the higher ups square in the balls.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 10:36 pm

As long as you're looking for a decent action game rather than a decent platformer, it's a decent game.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 1:07 am

Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 9:40 am

Yup. It's £60 here for at least two months. It'll take half a year for a significant price drop.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 12:15 pm

Kaede wrote:
Yup. It's £60 here for at least two months. It'll take half a year for a significant price drop.

Just order from amazon.co.uk, the shipping cost will most likely be a fiver but that is cheaper then 30 pounds
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 12:33 pm

Superbuu3 wrote:
Kaede wrote:

Just order from amazon.co.uk, the shipping cost will most likely be a fiver but that is cheaper then 30 pounds

Yeah, but not sure if I want it anymore. At least not badly enough that I can't wait. I still need to finish Digital Devil Saga/2, so I have plenty of time.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 11:16 pm

Hmm. The DLC for this comes with a 3D patch for the whole game, and not just stereoscopic 3D. It also that 3D that works with those special purple and turquoise glasses, like the Arkham Asylum GOTY edition.

Of course you would need to buy the DLC and then buy the glasses too. Which is about £25 altogether I think. Does the AA GOTY come with the glasses?
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 11:33 pm

Yeah the GOTY of AS comes with the 3d glasses.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 11:40 pm

I might pick that up if I can then, since I got rid of AA a while ago. Although I'll probably fore-go the whole thing.

Was the 3D effect in AA any good?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Enslaved: Odyssey To The West   Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Enslaved: Odyssey To The West
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2