Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mirror's Edge First Impressions

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

Mirror's Edge First Impressions Empty
PostSubject: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 11:21 am

I'm suprised how good this game still looks, the camera work is really nice to, although it does all feel a bit sterile although that probably what they were going for

I still stand by initial judgement that first person prince of persia is a bad idea, even more so then general platforming
If this game had a gimmick like reverse time it would stand up a lot better.
All that aside for its current price it is a great game, i may even hold on to it after i complete the main story just cause i can imagine the free running aspect will feel awesome once you get to grips with the game.
The combat is unbelivably awful though, but i get the impression you probably don't need to fight in this game at all.
If you've played prince of persia you can get to grips with the controls, only thing i find annoying is this thing they called coiling, where you jump then duck in mid air to make yourself small, thing is in FP you have no clue when you need to do this, so you inevitably just hit something then think i should of duck jumped
I got this for 5 pounds and i had store credit so it was a no brainer if you are in a similar situation and like feeling free i.e. a hippy or like prince of persia it might be worth a look, don't buy it if its expensive though i think its a short game
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 9:20 pm

It felt kind of like a tech demo to me. If the developers experiment with it a bit more it could be an amazing game. But I still liked it enough to be worth the money.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 9:34 pm

Kaio wrote:
It felt kind of like a tech demo to me. If the developers experiment with it a bit more it could be an amazing game. But I still liked it enough to be worth the money.

Its definitely a lot better then ppl give it credit
I think they should of stuck to more chase scenarios then impenetrable walls of ppl, admittedly i'm a bit crap at the moment, but i think its on a mission called jacknife there was this really clumsy bit where i had to get past 6 guards, I can imagine this scenario popping up again and it kinda killed the experience

the way faith moves around the roof tops is really slick though and the first time you slide down a slope of a building is slick

also you kinda feel like your thrown in at the deep end and that circle hint thing the two or three times i used it was completely useless

i'm still enjoying this though to put it one way its a good game that could be great, and it still looks sexy despite the chick on the front cover being minging
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 11:31 pm

Superbuu3 wrote:
but i think its on a mission called jacknife there was this really clumsy bit where i had to get past 6 guards, I can imagine this scenario popping up again and it kinda killed the experience
Is that when you've just come out of the storm drain on the crane thing? I just ran up onto the storage blocks and jumped over the fence to get to the door. But it does certainly throw you in at the deep end. It's the kind of game that you just can't get right first time through, for a lot of the time anyway. I can't remember the last time I died so much in a game.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:13 am

I think so one of the later missions has a much worse bit though, especially if your playing on hard. I can't remember if i did test of faith on normal or hard.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:39 am

the girl on the cover looks like this guy i knew in school
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:47 am

I just did a part where I was forced to fight and it was so horrible.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 5:01 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
I just did a part where I was forced to fight and it was so horrible.
The one where you have to fight like three guards and the rooftop you need to get to is directly behind him?
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 2:50 pm

Yeah.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 11:44 pm

Finished chapter 5. I get the feeling that the game would be really thrilling if I wasn't dying every 2 minutes. Just when I get up speed and start to enjoy the chase I fall off a building. And by the time I can do the levels without dying it probably won't be exciting any more.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 11:50 pm

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
Finished chapter 5. I get the feeling that the game would be really thrilling if I wasn't dying every 2 minutes. Just when I get up speed and start to enjoy the chase I fall off a building. And by the time I can do the levels without dying it probably won't be exciting any more.
You don't seem to have the flow, if you can maintain speed there's insane shit you can do.

You can multiple run jump off walls and stuff. Here's another tip look at the trophy list for moves you can chain together it might help you to realise what potential faith has. If you can't nail the chain moves its not actually very fun.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 12:33 am

That's all useless the first time through when it can be hard to tell where you're even supposed to be going.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 12:37 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
That's all useless the first time through when it can be hard to tell where you're even supposed to be going.
Runners vision makes it pretty obvious unless you turned it off for some reason.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 12:39 am

Half the time you have to stop to look around or explore even with runner vision. And when there's guys shooting you that can be really damn annoying.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 12:45 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
Half the time you have to stop to look around or explore even with runner vision. And when there's guys shooting you that can be really damn annoying.
Oh right, its actually pretty easy to outrun guards if you time things right and once you get the disarm nailed they don't pose a threat (outside of groups), the roll and vaulting things at speed are important to maintain momentum. Most moves have like a slow and a fast animation. Also experiment and explore by trying to find cases adn stuff you'll get a better feel for the kinds of things you can use to jump on and climb.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 1:21 am

I get how all the mechanics work. The game just gives you very little time to figure what to do at certain points. The it comes to down to trying each option until you find one that doesn't get you killed. The game would be a lot better with less guards.

The time trials are great for that reason.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 1:32 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
I get how all the mechanics work. The game just gives you very little time to figure what to do at certain points. The it comes to down to trying each option until you find one that doesn't get you killed. The game would be a lot better with less guards.

The time trials are great for that reason.
On a second playthrough you won't even notice the guards sriously. Also note tht momentum will allow you to floor a guard in one hit.

Test of faith is a great challenge i did it on hard and thats why i was awesome at this game, I couldn't be assed to upload my online time trials though but you should be able to race my ghost if you play online.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 1:40 am

Well yeah. On a second playthrough. That's what I've been saying.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 1:43 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
Well yeah. On a second playthrough. That's what I've been saying.
If your playing on normal or easy, i'm pretty sure you can't even choose hard on a first playthrough, itws really not hard to outrun the cops, there's just on bit on chapter 8 i think a really green room , taht whole section is a pain.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 1:49 am

Outrunning them is fine. It's when I'm stuck in a room that I don't know how to get out of with them that's annoying.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 1:52 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
Outrunning them is fine. It's when I'm stuck in a room that I don't know how to get out of with them that's annoying.
Its usually the door.

You do realise you can be stealthy to if its the indoor bits your struglling on.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 1:59 am

You can't be stealthy when there's a guard facing the only entrance.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 2:16 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
You can't be stealthy when there's a guard facing the only entrance.
90% of the time there's another way then look up
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 2:30 am

I said only entrance for a reason. I know how to play the game buu.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 2:34 am

What level is that on?

but like i said if its only one guard disarm or knocking them out in one hit is pretty easy

Besides you've already stated you struggle to find there's a path even on a 10th playthrough theres another option.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mirror's Edge First Impressions   Mirror's Edge First Impressions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mirror's Edge First Impressions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next