Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!

Go down 
+3
Baal
Kaede
Kaio
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Empty
PostSubject: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 11:28 pm

Do I like making these topics? Yes. Yes, I do.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 11:28 pm

DBZ movie 1

Japanese title: “Return My Gohan!!”
English title: “Dead Zone: the Movie”

Instead of having the insert song where Gohan sings, FUNi just put the background music of the song on the English track. Now if those guys just did that with all the insert songs in the actual series... Also the original Pioneer releases did have that insert song with Japanese Gohan singing in the English dubbed version.

The weird transformations of Garlic’s warriors have been changed from strange Japanese words to gingerbread, tutti-frutti and cheese.

That’s pretty much it. It’s a great dub, the voices are great (it wasn’t dubbed until 2005), the script is very accurate (thank you, Pioneer) and, of course, the original music is kept.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 11:36 pm

The audio commentary for Dead Zone is great too.

Chuck Huber: "I remember when I first came to FUNimation years ago when Chris [Sabat] was still weird and goofy... and voiced pretty much every single single character on the show.... yeah.... but we're better now!"
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 3:20 pm

Chuck Huber sounds like an awesome guy.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 3:24 pm

Yeah, Chuck Huber is awesome. He openly raged on CN for cancelling One Piece.

He's not the only one who makes fun of the dub though. Sabat said that it was a mess and they really didn't know what they were doing back in the day and Sonny Strait said that that the westernising was ridiculous. Here's a video of him talking about it:

Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 7:02 pm

DBZ movie 2

Japanese title: “The World’s Strongest Guy”
English title: “The World’s Strongest”

Dr. Wheelo’s Japanese name is Dr. Uiro.

Like with Movie 1 the insert song has been replaced with just the background music.

In the beam struggle Goku saying “Kaio-ken times 4” has been replaced with “You can’t win”.

This movie was another great dub for the same reasons as movie 1 was.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 8:18 pm

DBZ movie 3

Japanese title: “Super Decisive Battle for Earth”
English title: “Tree of Might”

This movie actually has Cha-La-Head-Cha-La playing in the dub. Interesting.

Icarus was never named in the original. He was just Haiya Dragon.

Turles’ original name is Tullece.

Japanese Turles says that both he and Goku are lower class warriors. Dub Turles says that both he and Goku are of the same mold: made for destruction. He then goes on to say that he is the mightiest of Saiyan and that Goku was a weakling.

Gohan’s powerlevel isn’t scouted in the dub. It’s supposed to be 10,000. Moments later dub Turles says that Piccolo’s power is unreadable. In the original he plainly says it’s 18,000.

Original Turles doesn’t say that the Power Ball will last for a while, even though it’s destroyed. Dub Turles goes on about how younger Saiyans are much more agressive than olde Saiyans in their ape form.

Goku’s base powerlevel in his fight with Turles is scouted as 30,000. Of course, this isn’t said in the dub.

Originally Goku uses Kaio-ken times 10 against Turles. In the dub he uses Kaio-ken times 20.

As you might have guessed, this script kind of blew. Even though it was dubbed together with movie 1 and 2, this one didn’t get that great treatment, even though it has the same script writer (Eric Vale). Shame.

Last edited by Kaio on Fri May 29, 2009 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 8:24 pm

Quote :
(Eric Vale).

Sanji: "I'm in ur Deebeezeez, fucking up your scripts"
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 8:33 pm

Quote :
Goku’s base powerlevel in his fight with Turles is scouted as 30,000.

IIRC, wasn't it 30,000 and still rising?

Originally Goku uses Kaio-ken times 10 against Turles. In the dub he uses Kaio-ken times 20.

Goku's 30,000+ at base, and uses KKx20 in the dub, which would put him at 600,000 at least. He still gets stomped by Turles. Turles being stronger than first form Freeza is ludicrous, the thought of him being close to second form Freeza even moreso.

Last edited by SimianWonder on Fri May 29, 2009 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 8:37 pm

That's Mr. Kaneda to you! wrote:
Quote :
(Eric Vale).

Sanji: "I'm in ur Deebeezeez, fucking up your scripts"

He actually does a lot of scripts for DBZ. Most of it is in the Buu saga and in later parts of GT.

I don't know what other shows he's writing for, apart from One Piece.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 8:38 pm

SimianWonder wrote:
Quote :
Goku’s base powerlevel in his fight with Turles is scouted as 30,000.

IIRC, wasn't it 30,000 and still rising?

A while later he says that "it is skyrocketing with every second", yes.

I was too lazy to go and change it. Hmm...
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 9:33 pm

DBZ movie 4

Japanese title: “Super Saiyan Son Goku”
English title: “Lord Slug”

Krillin: I haven’t even had a girlfriend yet!

I think this the only time in the dub where Krillin says something like this.

Slug’s lackies are supposed to be Demon Clansmen in the original. One of the henchmen also recognises Piccolo as one.

Slug: If you’ve come to apply for the soldier jobs, use the side entrance!

Dohoho.

Goku: Thanks, but no thanks! We’re already self-employed!

DOHOHO!!!

In the dub, the antennae of a Namek are apparantly one of its many weaknesses.

The dub’s explanation of Slug’s backstory is rather skewed. Instead of a baby who was sent to Planet Slugg before Namek’s extinction. Because he had a slight mutation as a child, evil grew into his heart and completely consumed him, making him even more deadly than Piccolo. Because he’s 100% evil, he’s a Super Namek. In the dub he’s some kind of Namek with a higher sense of conscience, therefore making him a Super Namek, who was banished along with his fellow Super Nameks to a faraway planet thanks to the Dragonballs.
Because Slug is a Super Namek, he has Super Hearing. Bullshit.

*After Piccolo regrows his ears*

Gohan: Now I get the point!

=/
Back to top Go down
Zero
The Hero
Zero

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 11:13 pm

/Disturbed

Back to top Go down
http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 11:25 pm

Yeah, I forgot to mention how that movie sounds like a bad AMV with the dub music on.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 11:26 pm

[post reserved for Movie 5]
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 11:26 pm

[post reserved for movie 6]
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

DBZ movie 7

Japanese title: “Extreme Battle!! The Three Great Super Saiyans
English title: “Super Android 13

This movie has the privilege of being of the few movies that has actual swearing. Sadly, this also is the only good thing about the movie.

There is some annoying offscreen bull of Gero going batshit insane when #13 awakens. He continues to go batshit insane throughout the entire movie

Android #13 wears a ballcap. Therefore he is a redneck. Therefore he has one of the worst dub voices in the entire series. The amount of slurred comments he makes is too much to count so I’m not even going to bother listing all of that crap. The other two Androids also sound retarded as fuck.

#13: Don’t lecture me with your $30 haircut!
Trunks: We’ll see about that, you red ribbon redneck!

Worst DBZ dialogue ever.

S.S. Deadly Bomber is never named in the dub.

#13: Hey, Big Green!

Oh, wow.

Japanese Goku’s castration is absolutely hilarious. He really sounds like he’s in a lot of pain.

Japanese Super #13 never actually talks. Dub #13 still lets some words slip through.

Original Krillin says Goku shouldn’t have transformed into a SSJ, because with a malicious heart, he can’t create a Spirit Bomb. Dub Krillin says Goku is pure even as a SSJ because the Spirit Bomb hasn’t dissapeared.

Well, the ending was kinda funny too. You know what I’m talking about.

I’m pretty sure that overall this was easily the worst movie out of the lot. Man responsible for this abomination? Christopher Neel.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 11:04 pm

DBZ movie 8

Japanese title: “Burn Up!! A Close, Intense, Super-Fierce Battle
English title: “Broly, the Legendary Super Saiyan”

Japanese narrator: The Southern Galaxy has fallen under Super Saiyan attack.
Dub narrator: The South Galaxy has been shattered by a Super Saiyan.

Hmm....

Kaio-sama: T-then the Southern Galaxy really is being... At this rate... even my Northern Galaxy will be destroyed!
King Kai: No! No! It’s all gone! Just as I feared... we’ve got to do something! Our Galaxy is next!

It’s pretty clear that in the Japanese dialogue it can be taken that Broly is systematically destroying the Southern Galaxy and didn’t one shot it, nor has he already destroyed it entirely.

Roshi’s drunkenness is covered up by him being sick in the dub.

Original Broly: My ki is rising! It’s overflowing!
Dub Broly: I’m getting stronger! Much stronger!

The dub dialogue makes this scene really unclear, because you can’t make out that Broly is releasing some of his ki, because he can’t hold any more. Instead, you’re let to believe that Broly’s ki will rise and rise to infinity.

Original dialogue:

Piccolo: You freak!
Broly: I am a freak? Not so. I am a devil!

Dub dialogue:

Piccolo: Do you usually pick on the children first?
Broly: I do what’s need to be done. What’d you expect... from a true freak?!

Eh.

Broly continuously calls Goku by his Earthling name. That sure is in-character!
Back to top Go down
Zero
The Hero
Zero

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 12:55 am

Not till the fish jumps...............it's over
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 1:07 pm

DBZ movie 9

Japanese title: “The Galaxy at Its Treshold!! A Phenomenally Awesome Guy”
English title: “Bojack Unbound”

Gyosan Money’s name has been changed to X.S. Cash. His son Doll’s name has been changed to Monty.

Krillin: I wax.

Yes.

Oolong: Pigs rule.

God yes.

Krillin: Space chicks are hot!

Fuck yes.

Originally the “space warriors” were just Mr. Satan’s pupils. In the dub, they’re friendly extra-terrestrials.

Bojack: Was that Goku?!

Originally, Bojack of course doesn’t even know who Goku is.

Goku was a whole lot more strict to Gohan in the original than he was in the dub, even telling him that he needs to stop acting like a pampered baby. Dub Goku is overall really soothing to Gohan.

The dub dialogue coupled with Ginga Giri Giri is awesome.

I can’t believe this script was done by Christopher Neel. It’s way too good to be his.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 1:31 pm

Bojack knowing Goku in the dub is dumb, although doesn't he also earlier display that he knows it's thanks to Goku that he was freed? Quite how he'd know that is another matter.

There are a couple of nice dub moments though; SSJ2 Gohan has a great moment where he roars "I'm my father's son!", and then a little later, Bojack asks him if he has any last words. Gohan replies with "Kame..." That was pretty badass.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 3:19 pm

DBZ movie 10

Japanese title: “The Dangerous Duo! Super-Warriors Can Never Rest”
English title: “Broly: Second Coming”

The line where Gohan says he’s powered up considerably since back then isn’t present in the dub.

And that’s pretty much all. This script was done by Sean Michael Teague, who co-wrote the Movie 9 script with Christopher Neel, which explains why that movie must’ve come out so well. This Teague guy is easily one of the best script writers in the dub.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 4:14 pm

DBZ movie 11

Japanese title: “Super-Warrior Defeat!! I’m the One Who’ll Win”
English title: “Bio Broly”

Mr. Satan is called Hercule in this movie, except for the very end and in the credits. Uncut version, my ass.

Jaga Butta’s name is changed to Jaguar.

The priest and the baron know that Broly is the legendary Super Saiyan for some reason in the dub.

Dub Satan: Not even Goku could survive that slime!

He knows Goku?
Back to top Go down
Zero
The Hero
Zero

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 5:09 pm

In movie 10 on this scene, it's debated whether Gohan went SSJ or SSJ2, but it's pretty clear that Gohan was only SSJ, otherwise Broly would have lost. There's also no lightning and SSJ2 has a bit spikier hair.

Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 5:36 pm

Kaio wrote:

[u]Japanese title: “The Galaxy at Its Treshold!! A Phenomenally Awesome Guy”

This is the reason why I like watching subbed anime, even though there's so much crappy translation. The episode titles are the best you'll find anywhere!

You get these from the usual site? They look any different than usual?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!   Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kaio's great DBZ movies sub/dub comparison!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next