Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Infamous Demo...

Go down 
+4
Kimarous
A_Nonny_Moose
Kaede
SimianWonder
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 5:54 pm

It's now out on PSN, but to be honest I find it difficult to get excited about it.

The graphics are merely average, with lots of noticeable pop up effects, and even the animation looks a little odd, not helped by the main character being utterly bland. Seriously, he's so generic it's untrue. There seems to be a story of sorts, though obviously you can't judge that from a demo, but the gameplay seems to boil down to go to point A, electrify something, go to point B, electrify someone, then electrify something, go to point C....

The combat is lacking too, and while there are unlockable attacks, and your skillset varies slightly depending on your good/evil alignment, the whole thing left me cold. I played the demo twice, and got bored, which isn't something that should be happening in a sandbox game. Roll on Prototype.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 6:55 pm

Should I make Kenji download it?
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 6:57 pm

It's worth a try, just don't expect to be blown away by it. It feels very...meh.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 7:20 pm

Ok
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 7:34 pm

How's the general sandboxing outside of the missions? Electric powers much fun? How do the general running/jumping/climbing/whatever controls work?
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 7:47 pm

There's not a lot going on away from the main missions really (though that could easily be down to this being a demo), and the electric powers are crap, largely because the controls are awful. To have to hold L1 to go into aim mode, which locks the camera to your shoulder and restricts your movement, then you can press one of three buttons to use an electric attack of some kind that only hits directly in front of you. R1 fires small blasts of electricty, [] fires an electric grenade, and X does some kind of Force Push.

Again though, they only hit in front of you, and you can only fire the, in aim mode. It's a bit of a mess really, especially as you don't seem able to lock onto your targets. You end up firing wildly hoping you'll hit something.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 7:49 pm

Sounds pretty restrictive for a superpower. How crap.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 7:55 pm

Sounds like shit.
Back to top Go down
Kimarous
CP9 Agent
Kimarous

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 7:58 pm

Why doesn't anyone just go on PSN and download it for themselves? >_>
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 8:04 pm

I don't have a PS3, and neither do Nonny.
Back to top Go down
Kimarous
CP9 Agent
Kimarous

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 8:08 pm

THEN WHY DO YOU CARE?

If you cannot get the game anyway, then why bash a game off of second-hand subjective opinion?
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 8:16 pm

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:

There are a few other things you can do, and the MC is fairly agile in a sub Spider-Man kind of way, leaping to and fro and climbing buildings a la Crackdown. He can do a glide following a jump, enabling him to cross large open areas easily, and pressing [] when dropping unleashes a shockwave attack. It's not shit, just depressingly average. Shame.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 8:26 pm

Kimarous wrote:
THEN WHY DO YOU CARE?
Because I like Sucker Punch and I want to know if they're keeping up the good work.

Kimarous wrote:
If you cannot get the game anyway, then why bash a game off of second-hand subjective opinion?
What else am I gonna base my opinion of it on? I can't get it yet.

Last edited by A_Nonny_Moose on Sun May 24, 2009 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zero
The Hero
Zero

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 8:32 pm

I like Sucker Punch as well. I'm gonna download it for myself and see it.
Back to top Go down
http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 8:41 pm

SimianWonder wrote:
It's worth a try...
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 9:01 pm

SimianWonder wrote:
A_Nonny_Moose wrote:

There are a few other things you can do, and the MC is fairly agile in a sub Spider-Man kind of way, leaping to and fro and climbing buildings a la Crackdown. He can do a glide following a jump, enabling him to cross large open areas easily,
This is the bit that seems most interesting about the game. I assume there's stuff in the way collectibles, etc?
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 9:26 pm

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
This is the bit that seems most interesting about the game. I assume there's stuff in the way collectibles, etc?

There's nothing like that in the demo, but the gliding is fairly interesting. You hold R1 when jumping and the MC holds out his hands and manages to use electricity to float briefly. It doesn't last very long, but it's an interesting feature. In fact, having just played the demo again, the big thing is that it's not much fun. Crackdown was vaguely similar, yet that was a real blast to play, this isn't.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 9:49 pm

Downloading it, right now.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 10:34 pm

DevilKingBaal wrote:
Downloading it, right now.

And?
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 11:03 pm

It's at 66%.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 11:07 pm

Wow, how slow is your download speed?
Back to top Go down
Zero
The Hero
Zero

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 11:08 pm

I like the game so far from what I played of the demo. The graphics are fine, idk what you are talking about Simian. They're an upgraded graphic piece of Sly cooper which has appreciation to it.
Back to top Go down
http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 11:16 pm

Fox McCloud wrote:
I like the game so far from what I played of the demo. The graphics are fine, idk what you are talking about Simian. .

I'm talking about the character animation looking a little odd, and the fact that lots of objects seem to pop in a few feet ahead of you - especially noticeable when you're gliding from a height. People, cars, lamposts etc just appear on the road.

As I said, the game reminded me of Crackdown, so if you've not played that I might understand why you'd like this, but Crackdown did the same kinda thing three years ago, and it did it a lot better too.

Quote :
They're an upgraded graphic piece of Sly cooper which has appreciation to it
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 11:31 pm

Here's a vid of the demo. Within the first few seconds you get to see the Glide ability, and the crappy aiming system.

If you want a prime example of the animation looking odd,then look at 1.25, when MCs climbing upwards. It looks way too stiff, he doesn't even move like he's human.

At around 2.00 you'll see one of the major problems with combat; you get shot at, though you're not sure where from, so you jump off, hold the aim button and spam randomly aimed shots of lightning until everything is dead. Great.

At 4.00, you fight some more. Same problems. No real aiming, just spamming lots of basic lightning blasts until everything's down. Shoot some more boxes. Shoot a few more baddies. Repeat and you're done.

Oddly, there doesn't seem to be much pop up shown here, though mine was glitchy as hell. On a plus note, the art style for the cutscenes is a lot nicer than the style for the rest of the game.

Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 11:36 pm

SimianWonder wrote:
Wow, how slow is your download speed?

HAHAHA! YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW. I FIND IT AMAZING MY CONNECTION DURING ONLINE PLAY IS SO GOOD.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Infamous Demo... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Infamous Demo...   Infamous Demo... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Infamous Demo...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next