Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.

Go down 
+5
Kaio
Kimarous
Superbuu3
Talking Sock
Baal
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Empty
PostSubject: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 2:04 pm

1. Stop throwing in swearing because you think it either makes the anime/manga more mature or cool. It doesn't.

2. Would you actually bother to translate honorifics? Stuff like -chan and -kun is okay because those have no real meaning. But stuff like -san should be Mr./Ms./Mrs. and Nii-san/Nee-chan should be Big Brother/Big Sister. And enough with the Senpai bullshit! It means UPPERCLASSMAN! It's not going to kill you to type that in!

3. STOP FUCKING SWEARING!

4. Stop using Engrish as a means to determine names you idiots. It's Calgara not Karugara. Luffy not Ruffi. And Might Guy not Maito Gai!

5. NAKAMA IS NOT A MEANINGFUL WORD THAT CANNOT BE TRAnSLATED! IT MEANS FRIENDS! FIX IT YOU FUCKERS!

6. STOP USING FUCK AS THE MAIN SWEAR WORD!

7. Provide an accurate translation, not one out of your asses because you were feeling lazy.

8. HOP TO IT ON RELEASES! If you fuckers were more efficient, or actually bothered to continue the translation then maybe we wouldn't be bugging the shit out of you for the next release!
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 2:10 pm

I agree with all that shit on there and those points must be dealt with, especially the honorifics, the dreaded basics of representing weaboos and their hyprid language and raping of ethnics. Also to add on, -chan and -kun are NOT ok, they shouldn't even be there at all if we're gonna read English.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 2:11 pm

I guess. It's not like it means anything important.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 3:02 pm

i like nakama
if they said friend and men were travelling to the grand line in search of romance
it sounds weird
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Kimarous
CP9 Agent
Kimarous

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 3:02 pm

I disagree. Honorifics can be subtle, but key, indicators of the speaker's tone or sense of respect. Purely for example, let's look at the early pages of Naruto. During the training exercise, Kakashi refers to Sasuke as "Sasuke-kun" in mock referal to how Sakura refers to him; the absence of honorifics loses that suble mockery.

To use another example, the shift of a person using "-chan" instead of "-san" indicates a subtle shift in the person or their relationships; not including said honorifics loses that subtle difference.

As for the whole "senpai" issue, which flows better?
- "Have you seen Baal-senpai?"
- "Have you seen upperclassman Baal?"

PEOPLE DO NOT SPEAK THAT WAY! I would rather have a touch of Japanese in a Japanese story than an awkward-sounding complete translation that makes me cringe.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Upperclassman sounds better. Then again, I've gotten sick of the word because I've been hearing it so god damned much.

Fate/Stay Night
Tsukihime
Persona 4
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 4:44 pm

DO THE MONKEY WITH ME!!!! wrote:
1. Stop throwing in swearing because you think it either makes the anime/manga more mature or cool. It doesn't.

100% agree.

Quote :
2. Would you actually bother to translate honorifics? Stuff like -chan and -kun is okay because those have no real meaning. But stuff like -san should be Mr./Ms./Mrs. and Nii-san/Nee-chan should be Big Brother/Big Sister. And enough with the Senpai bullshit! It means UPPERCLASSMAN! It's not going to kill you to type that in!

The only honorifics that need to be kept in are -chan, -kun, -san, -dono, and -sama. Those are the five basic honorifics and those are mostly kept in official sub releases too.

Quote :
3. STOP FUCKING SWEARING!

FUCK YEAH!

Quote :
4. Stop using Engrish as a means to determine names you idiots. It's Calgara not Karugara. Luffy not Ruffi. And Might Guy not Maito Gai!

Yes. Although when a series gets more popular, the attention given to shit like that also increases. One Piece doesn't have that problem anymore nowadays.

Quote :
5. NAKAMA IS NOT A MEANINGFUL WORD THAT CANNOT BE TRAnSLATED! IT MEANS FRIENDS! FIX IT YOU FUCKERS!

EXACTLY! It can mean friend, crewmate, stuff like that. The only reason it's used is thanks to K-F. They consistently translated "nakama", but when they arrived at the "Nami! Ore wa nakama da!", they scratched their head so hard as to what they needed to translate it to and ultimately made up some crap about friendship and that nakama is a One Piece specific term. DBZ AND NARUTO ALSO USE NAKAMA FREQUENTLY!!!

And now you have idiots saying they dislike the OP dub, because FUNi translates nakama.

Quote :
7. Provide an accurate translation, not one out of your asses because you were feeling lazy.

Yes. The previously mentioned nakama, ossan, marimo, stuff like that. THEY ACTUALLY MEAN SSTUFF IN ENGLISH.

I also want to add that when an official dub or sub is released, with accurate and good subs, then fansubs should accomodate to this. Meaning they need to start using Gum Gum (Gum CAN mean rubber!), translate attacks and change names (it's Eneru now).

And stop with the fucking SFX. It's distracting.
Back to top Go down
Goldninja
East Blue Pirate Captain
Goldninja

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 5:03 pm

Preach it brothers! I'm at a point in the One Piece manga that just sucks thanks to poor translations, "Rufi", the sudden use of "SHIT!" and "Fuck!", untranslated bubbles, and the use of "sempai!" "sempai!" "sempai!". I've still not read Arlong Park btw. I'll get to it.

I know what "san" and "sama" mean but what are the differences between "kun" and "chan"? I know Chi-Chi refers to Gohan as "Gohan-chan" so I assume it means underling or subordinate, but I've seen "kun" and it just seems like another word for "chan" to me.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 5:04 pm

-Chan is used on little kids and girls. -Kun is mostly used for friends (Bulma's Son-kun).
Back to top Go down
Goldninja
East Blue Pirate Captain
Goldninja

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 5:25 pm

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Rockstar_Sinistar
Gary
Rockstar_Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 8:05 pm

Prime examples, Pulled from Grappler Baki as seen on OneManga.

A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Naruta10
A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Shit10
A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Shit210

And that's just one panel and two pages. Imagine the rest of the manga.
Back to top Go down
http://thepit.forumotion.com/
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 10:01 pm

thats why i don't read manga

that and cause it involves reading
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 10:02 pm

Subs also require reading.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 10:15 pm

Bob, I think I just lost a couple of brain cells after reading that.
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 10:41 pm

that. was. AWESOME
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 12:39 am

Roronoa Kaio wrote:
Subs also require reading.
i speak japanese

actually i don't XD
but uh imagining stuff and reading at the same time is something i can't be bothered to do
i prefered reading lord of the rings after seeing the movies
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:23 am

There are pictures in the Manga.
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 12:58 pm

and occaisionally pretty colors
Back to top Go down
Rockstar_Sinistar
Gary
Rockstar_Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 7:51 pm

Tobi wrote:
and occaisionally pretty colors
And random cameos of certain people, Case in point. Baki, Son of Ogre...I'll just show you who is featured in it. And in only a few chapters from the beginning too. XD And I don't think he comes back again. But it's also got Muhammad Ali Jr. and some others I got remember.

A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Baki10
A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Baki210
A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Baki310
A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Baki410
A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Baki510
A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Baki610
A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Baki710
A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Baki810
A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Baki910
A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Baki1010
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 8:29 pm

Holy shit, those are awesome
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 10:00 pm

imma read that series now.
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 10:27 pm

read it. meh.
Back to top Go down
Rockstar_Sinistar
Gary
Rockstar_Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 12:34 am

XD

Not your cup o' tea?
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 12:56 am

Rockstar_Turles wrote:
XD

Not your cup o' tea?
'grappler baki' the 9 chapter short is very uninteresting, but 'baki: son of ogre' is a different spin on the same series, and MUCH more interesting
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 2:44 am

Tobi wrote:
Rockstar_Turles wrote:
XD

Not your cup o' tea?
'grappler baki' the 9 chapter short is very uninteresting, but 'baki: son of ogre' is a different spin on the same series, and MUCH more interesting
im at chapter 68... *shudder* there arent words to describe how scary oliva is...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.   A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A list of things Fanslators need to Start/Stop doing.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next