Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

most pointless special editions....

Go down 
+2
Superbuu3
testtubebaby
6 posters
AuthorMessage
testtubebaby
Skypiea Priest
testtubebaby

most pointless special editions.... Empty
PostSubject: most pointless special editions....   most pointless special editions.... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 10:23 pm

As the heading suggests i want to know what the most useless special edition of games you have ever seen, not pre-owned games where the codes didnt work but brand new crap special/ limited editions..

mine has to be the reason im asking & that is the evil within ps4 limited edition sold at game, it has a 3D hologram case & a notebook (notebook being an empty lined notebook so you can write things down in it) for £52.99... needless to say i didnt spend a penny on that & instead brought my copy from asda for £40 which includes the fighting chance pack
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: most pointless special editions....   most pointless special editions.... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2014 3:33 pm

There's loads which are just steel boxes. Vanquish had a lenticular sleeve edition.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: most pointless special editions....   most pointless special editions.... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Dragon Age 2 had a "signature" edition, which was the vanilla game in a slightly different coloured box, and featured a download code for some early-game weapons and armour. Not really sure it counts though, as it wasn't actually any more expensive than the vanilla edition.
Back to top Go down
testtubebaby
Skypiea Priest
testtubebaby

PostSubject: Re: most pointless special editions....   most pointless special editions.... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2014 6:03 pm

SimianWonder wrote:
Dragon Age 2 had a "signature" edition, which was the vanilla game in a slightly different coloured box, and featured a download code for some early-game weapons and armour.  Not really sure it counts though, as it wasn't actually any more expensive than the vanilla edition.

Although i never said anything before im gonna put the rule in that they have to be more expensive, i owned said copy of dragon age 2 because it didnt cost more
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: most pointless special editions....   most pointless special editions.... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 12:46 pm

As Buu alluded to, there have been various games which came in steelbook cases; I've even owned a few. Again though, they weren't sold as collectors editions, they were simply a limited run for those who picked the game up early, so didn't cost any more. Bioshock being one example that springs readily to mind.

I genuinely can't think of any truly bad special editions I've seen in the last ten years. i'm sure they exist, but the only ones I can think of have been the likes of Mass Effect 3s N7 edition, or Halo 3s Legendary Edition; both were pricey, but did offer a lot of genuinely exclusive in-game content, some excellent art books, comics etc. Destiny's Ghost edition is pretty silly - £180 for the game and Expansion pass plus some physical tat, such as a model Ghost. You'd need to be a huge fan of the game to warrant that kind of outlay, but the edition itself isn't bad, it's just a lot of money.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: most pointless special editions....   most pointless special editions.... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 6:45 pm

I kind of wish more games had a steelbox for pre-order cases because they are super nice. It seems to be less in vogue than it used to be, unless I'm not playing the right games.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: most pointless special editions....   most pointless special editions.... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 7:08 pm

Agreed. I like nice things and a well presented steel book is a lovely thing.
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: most pointless special editions....   most pointless special editions.... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2014 3:08 pm

I kinda like The Evil Within Limited Edition. got a 15 euro coupon though so I got it cheaper, but still, wouldn't have minded paying the 5 euro it costed more than the regular version.

Also, it's not the case that's a 3D hologram, it's just a 3D hologram on it's own, which i think actually looks pretty darn good.

on topic though, I've never seen a special edition I thought was bad. I've got plenty of special or limited edition games myself, because I always pre-order my games very, very early (for example, I already have Uncharted 4 on pre-order) and my store always upgrades the early pre-orders to a special or limited edition if there is one for no extra cost.

And if I do have a choice, I try to buy the special or limited too, but that's just my inner "collector" that fancies steelbooks and silly stuff to put on shelves.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: most pointless special editions....   most pointless special editions.... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2014 10:54 pm

I wish more games had special cardboard cases. As disappointing as Uncharted 3 was, the special box is nice.

The most pointless ones I have are probably some GAME exclusives. The Rayman Origins one just came with a little postcard thing.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: most pointless special editions....   most pointless special editions.... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 8:50 am

Eevil-Psycho wrote:
And if I do have a choice, I try to buy the special or limited too, but that's just my inner "collector" that fancies steelbooks and silly stuff to put on shelves.

Me too, only you call it "silly stuff" I call it "nice things"!

I'm currently undecided about ordering Dragons Age: Inquisition. There's a GAME exclusive Deluxe edition, featuring various exclusive weapon, armour etc unlocks, the soundtrack, some further exclusive downloads (yet to be announced) but it's a tenner more than the regular edition. I hugely excited by the game, but after the disappointment of DA2 (which I did still enjoy, it was just several steps backwards from Origins) I'm not sure I can justify sixty quid for a game.

Also, PS4 or XO? Apparently PS4 gets native 1080p, XO gets 900p upscaled, but XO is allegedly getting some early DLC to counter.
Back to top Go down
testtubebaby
Skypiea Priest
testtubebaby

PostSubject: Re: most pointless special editions....   most pointless special editions.... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 9:34 am

be careful with the "game exclusive" things, they said the vanguard edition of destiny was exclusive yet i got mine online & it is the vanguard edition
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: most pointless special editions....   most pointless special editions.... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 8:29 pm

Exclusive to game means its the only retailer stocking it those things will be avilable digitally.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: most pointless special editions....   most pointless special editions.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

most pointless special editions....
Page 1 of 1