Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes
 
HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Demon Soul's... just because its free now

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
testtubebaby
Skypiea Priest
avatar

Posts : 1261
Joined : 2013-01-19
Age : 35
Location : my sofa

PostSubject: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:59 pm

ok, started this game when it was first released, way back then i gave up almost straight away as it was quite possibly the hardest game ive ever seen (if my control pad could talk). So now its on plus & ive braved it one more time yet surprisingly im finding it rather easy this time round, maybe due to me completing dark souls 4-5 times. Anyways is anyone else trying this game out or maybe (like roselyn) you have already finished and can maybe throw the rest of us a bone.
Back to top Go down
Zero
The Hero
avatar

Posts : 4721
Joined : 2008-08-07
Age : 27
Location : McNeil Village

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:17 am

I've only played Dark Souls at a friend's house. Is Demon Souls harder?
Back to top Go down
http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
Rosalyn_86
First Mate
avatar

Posts : 123
Joined : 2013-04-09
Age : 31
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:11 am

Demon's Souls is easier because it isn't cheap like Dark Souls is at times.

Dark Souls 2 is set for March next year by the way! :>
Back to top Go down
testtubebaby
Skypiea Priest
avatar

Posts : 1261
Joined : 2013-01-19
Age : 35
Location : my sofa

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:49 am

i thought it was easier by far but now im getting used to demon souls i'd say they are about the same
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
avatar

Posts : 6602
Joined : 2009-11-17
Age : 23
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:31 pm

The only cheap part in dark souls is the bed of chaos fight.

Both games are about on par difficulty wise but Demon's has generally harder bosses. That said it's easy to cheese a lot of them so if you're not against that you'll probably find it easier.
Back to top Go down
testtubebaby
Skypiea Priest
avatar

Posts : 1261
Joined : 2013-01-19
Age : 35
Location : my sofa

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:03 pm

have to say to anyone thinking of starting this game, choose a mage as the bosses are a lot easier with magic
Back to top Go down
testtubebaby
Skypiea Priest
avatar

Posts : 1261
Joined : 2013-01-19
Age : 35
Location : my sofa

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:52 pm

suppose i better post an update of my game...
the levels are weirdly set, there's 5 worlds with 3 sections in each one (4 in world 1) but they cant be done in order.
so far ive done 1-1,1-2. 2 is finished. 3-1. 4-1
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
avatar

Posts : 41028
Joined : 2008-07-31
Age : 2016
Location : Nosgoth

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:18 pm

I'm just going to wait till i hear a few of you are playing this so afer i beat the first level I can just get you guys to kick the crap out of stuff for me. Should be fun.

_________________
Stop trying to save the world and get a hobby.

Neo wrote:
Kids shouldn't be exposed to sonic fans, they might become one.

Spoiler:
 

My youtube channel, let's plays and trophy videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/superbuu3
Back to top Go down
http://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
avatar

Posts : 6431
Joined : 2008-10-12
Age : 37
Location : Old People's home

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:25 pm

Wha--? Free?
Back to top Go down
Rosalyn_86
First Mate
avatar

Posts : 123
Joined : 2013-04-09
Age : 31
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:42 pm

Neo wrote:
The only cheap part in dark souls is the bed of chaos fight.

Both games are about on par difficulty wise but Demon's has generally harder bosses. That said it's easy to cheese a lot of them so if you're not against that you'll probably find it easier.

I found a few bits to be cheap.

- Those stupid invisible paths that go over large pits and have slippy crystals between them.
- Shitty ghost area where you need items or special weapons to hurt them. The way they can hit you through the walls is bloody cheap too.
- The crappy dark area that you can't get through without a light spell or lantern.
- The bugs with the infinite spawn. Paired with the terrible framerate of the area and their amazing ability to show up at the worst times possible can feel like bullshit.

But the invisible paths with the slippy ass crystals was the worst offender, that really irritated me. From Software gets the middle finger for that.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
avatar

Posts : 6602
Joined : 2009-11-17
Age : 23
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:18 am

If you don't know the paths you can use the prism crystal things to check whether the ground is solid in front of you, you can also look for crystal dust falling on the paths. That's not cheap, you just have to take it slowly.

The ghosts in the ruins are, again, there to punish you not being careful. The majority of the time you can see them coming if you pay attention. Just think of them as traps instead of enemies, they're not hard to kill. The game gives you a handful of transient curses as you enter the area so there's no excuse for not being able to fight them. Again, not cheap.

Needing a light in a dark area is not cheap.

Blighttown is definitely annoying but cheap? No. You can just run away from the mosquitos if there's only a couple of them, if there's a bunch just take a couple of swings, it's impossible to miss at that stage.

There are lots of things in the game that might feel cheap if you don't know the game well enough but, when you do, it's apparent that everything can be overcome relatively easily with the right strategy. I'd argue that it's the whole point of the game.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly


Posts : 15474
Joined : 2008-08-04
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:25 am

watch out for the stairs. i've heard they're dangerous
Back to top Go down
testtubebaby
Skypiea Priest
avatar

Posts : 1261
Joined : 2013-01-19
Age : 35
Location : my sofa

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:30 am

SimianWonder wrote:
Wha--? Free?

EU plus, the americans had it last month aswell
Back to top Go down
testtubebaby
Skypiea Priest
avatar

Posts : 1261
Joined : 2013-01-19
Age : 35
Location : my sofa

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:35 am

update time, world 3 & 4 are now complete, just 5-2, 5-3 1-3 & 1-4 left now. somehow mananged to rescue the assassin and let him kill most the NPC's before i realised Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Rosalyn_86
First Mate
avatar

Posts : 123
Joined : 2013-04-09
Age : 31
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:46 am

Neo wrote:
If you don't know the paths you can use the prism crystal things to check whether the ground is solid in front of you, you can also look for crystal dust falling on the paths. That's not cheap, you just have to take it slowly.

The ghosts in the ruins are, again, there to punish you not being careful. The majority of the time you can see them coming if you pay attention. Just think of them as traps instead of enemies, they're not hard to kill. The game gives you a handful of transient curses as you enter the area so there's no excuse for not being able to fight them. Again, not cheap.

Needing a light in a dark area is not cheap.

Blighttown is definitely annoying but cheap? No. You can just run away from the mosquitos if there's only a couple of them, if there's a bunch just take a couple of swings, it's impossible to miss at that stage.

There are lots of things in the game that might feel cheap if you don't know the game well enough but, when you do, it's apparent that everything can be overcome relatively easily with the right strategy. I'd argue that it's the whole point of the game.


The twisting invisible path is definitely cheap. =/ Though I don't know about this crystal. There's still the slippy bit crystal in between with the monster on it too.

All that stuff is still cheap in my opinion. Even with the light you can't see that well. Just running from them was always a bad idea in my experience since they catch up to you when you're killing other stuff. It's easy to be overwhelmed if you run and shit catches up. Infinite spawns are bullshit regardless.

Things that attack through walls are there to punish you for not being careful? Really? :p

Demon's Souls is vastly superior just because it doesn't resort to dumb tricks like that.

Looks like we may have to agree to disagree though.

Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
avatar

Posts : 6602
Joined : 2009-11-17
Age : 23
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:57 am

I think you're confusing "cheap" with "punishes inattention". Saying that something is your opinion doesn't mean that it's not stupid.

When you're in TotG and everything is dark you can still see all the enemies eyes glowing in the dark and your light gives you more than enough vision to effectively fight them, if you die anyway it's not cheap, it's you not paying attention or making a mistake in a fight.

When you don't use prism stones or look for the dust falling on the invisible paths and you fall to your death it's not cheap, it's you not using the information and tools available to you. For the record, an infinite supply of prism stones can be bought from the female undead merchant in the sewer tunnel between Firelink and the Depths.

With the ghosts, the first couple you see come out of a wall that directly faces you and is essentially impossible to miss. This teaches you that the ghosts come through walls. If you go ahead and run through tight corridors with that knowledge and get killed it's not cheap, it's you not learning.

The mosquitoes can be killed in one shot so you really shouldn't be having trouble with them. Aside from them there aren't actually very many enemies in lower Blighttown anyway and the area is rather open so I'm not sure how you're getting overwhelmed in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
avatar

Posts : 41028
Joined : 2008-07-31
Age : 2016
Location : Nosgoth

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:12 am

I think you're confusing "punishing inattention" with tedious. That whole invisible path dealie just sounds like something I'd get bored of and eventually hope for the best (have the same problem with any balance beam section in a game although this sounds worse).

Also if they can hit you through walls that sounds pretty damn cheap.

Anyways her opinion might be something you don't agree with, but its far from stupid.

_________________
Stop trying to save the world and get a hobby.

Neo wrote:
Kids shouldn't be exposed to sonic fans, they might become one.

Spoiler:
 

My youtube channel, let's plays and trophy videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/superbuu3
Back to top Go down
http://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Neo
CP9 Agent
avatar

Posts : 6602
Joined : 2009-11-17
Age : 23
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:30 am

I'm not trying to be rude Buu, I'm just explaining why those things aren't actually cheap.

People can dislike the game mechanics and levels as much as they like, that's subjective, but these things objectively are not "cheap" as they are only a problem if the player doesn't know how to tackle them. If they were actually unfair they would still seem overly difficult to someone who has a lot of knowledge and experience of the game.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
avatar

Posts : 41028
Joined : 2008-07-31
Age : 2016
Location : Nosgoth

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:42 am

Neo wrote:
I'm not trying to be rude Buu, I'm just explaining why those things aren't actually cheap.

People can dislike the game mechanics and levels as much as they like, that's subjective, but these things objectively are not "cheap" as they are only a problem if the player doesn't know how to tackle them. If they were actually unfair they would still seem overly difficult to someone who has a lot of knowledge and experience of the game.

People say getting hit by off screen enemies in Ninja Gaiden is cheap i.e. shurikens etc, keep in mind you've got full control of he camera. I personally think that's lack of awareness as honestly if you're not fighting you should be dodging and blocking. I'd put this getting hit through walls in the same category. I see your point on the other stuff.

Either way though the larger part of the gaming community consider that kind of thing cheap. So its not stupid to think it, considering how the term cheap is used these days. I haven't played the game enough to comment outside of that. Still think invisible paths just sound boring as fuck and dumb though.

_________________
Stop trying to save the world and get a hobby.

Neo wrote:
Kids shouldn't be exposed to sonic fans, they might become one.

Spoiler:
 

My youtube channel, let's plays and trophy videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/superbuu3
Back to top Go down
http://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
testtubebaby
Skypiea Priest
avatar

Posts : 1261
Joined : 2013-01-19
Age : 35
Location : my sofa

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:25 pm

ok so now i could do with some help, the mrs thought she was helping by constantly putting me in human form & dying on 5-2, yep pure black for that world now.... is there a way i can get it back to white in 5-1 or am i stuck like this until i finish it?
Back to top Go down
testtubebaby
Skypiea Priest
avatar

Posts : 1261
Joined : 2013-01-19
Age : 35
Location : my sofa

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:21 am

just 1-4 left now, going for the good ending first as i hear there's a gold trophy involved. Should be done by tomorrow
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
avatar

Posts : 41028
Joined : 2008-07-31
Age : 2016
Location : Nosgoth

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Lol, and not just because its the good ending.

_________________
Stop trying to save the world and get a hobby.

Neo wrote:
Kids shouldn't be exposed to sonic fans, they might become one.

Spoiler:
 

My youtube channel, let's plays and trophy videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/superbuu3
Back to top Go down
http://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
testtubebaby
Skypiea Priest
avatar

Posts : 1261
Joined : 2013-01-19
Age : 35
Location : my sofa

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:32 pm

i dont care for endings buu, just trophies.... finished first playthrough, really seemed a lot easier than i remembered though, though i was told when i originally got it that it was the hardest game ever so i played it as if it was, but after finishing dark souls and having no pressure on me to do this one it went ok. NG+ now and hopefully it will be a little more challenging for me as im trying to become a knight to experience a different playstyle
Back to top Go down
testtubebaby
Skypiea Priest
avatar

Posts : 1261
Joined : 2013-01-19
Age : 35
Location : my sofa

PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:37 pm

on 1-4 of my 2nd playthrough, it really is a simple game once you get the hang of it. Only problem im having is world tendancies & character tendancies, trying to get the foe's ring but i havnt got the friends ring yet (a bad move aparently)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Demon Soul's... just because its free now   

Back to top Go down
 
Demon Soul's... just because its free now
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Demon Soul's [PG-13]
» Fighting for my soul against Vokak the Demon
» FREE MUXXU
» FREE Gift for Internet Safety Agents!
» Soul Grinder Diary - April 26 Update 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Raziel's Domain :: Entertainment :: Games :: Games General Discussion :: Play Throughs-
Jump to: