Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen? Empty
PostSubject: Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen?   Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 10:08 pm

I'm going to go with the action platformer. If I think back to how they were last gen i.e. tomb raider and R and C, the way uncharted has moved forward made the games a helluva lot better. Tomb raider Legend which I loved as the same with the R and C series both had points that made them feel like a platformer with shooting bits or a shooter with platforming bits, Uncharted really fixed that.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen?   Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 5:41 am

I don't consider Uncharted a platformer, it's more a tps with set piece climbing sequences.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen?   Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 5:45 am

Neo wrote:
I don't consider Uncharted a platformer, it's more a tps with set piece climbing sequences.
True but it is possible to fuck up so i still consider it a platformer.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen?   Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 5:50 am

Running with that platforming thing, although it's not a true platformer the platforming elements of Assassin's Creed are a pretty big step up. What with the free-running and all.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen?   Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 5:55 am

Skip wrote:
Running with that platforming thing, although it's not a true platformer the platforming elements of Assassin's Creed are a pretty big step up. What with the free-running and all.
In how it looks in motion maybe but both AC and Uncharted are huge steps down when it comes to actual player input and skill in platforming. I don't think it matters because it's not the focus of either game but still.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen?   Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 6:02 am

Neo wrote:
Skip wrote:
In how it looks in motion maybe but both AC and Uncharted are huge steps down when it comes to actual player input and skill in platforming. I don't think it matters because it's not the focus of either game but still.
Prince of persia Forgotten sands was a step up in platforming to me, if we're talking true platformers, but honestly the platforming was great in teh sands of time trilogy, it did feel smooth in this though.

NGS 1 and 2 felt silky smooth to me, but i never player the XBOX original of NG so i can't say if that is really a step forward.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen?   Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 6:08 am

I wish there were more games like Spyro, Crash, Sly, R&C and such this gen. Not that there haven't been any cartoony platformers at all, but compared to previous generations, there is a whole lot less. I definitely can't wait for Sly 4 next year.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen?   Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 6:08 am

Neo wrote:
Skip wrote:
While that is perhaps true, the point being made was the fluidity of the movement, which is still a huge step up. I don't think the difficulty in performing the actions is relevant.
Back to top Go down
MilesColtrane
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen?   Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 1:22 am

RPGs and FPSs. Oh wait. Steps forward.

I'd have to say action/adventure games. The Batman: Arkham games were pretty boss. And each game finds a way to make it feel fresh.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen?   Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which genres/game series have taken the biggest steps forward since last gen?
Page 1 of 1