Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...

Go down 
+8
brandon
Superbuu3
Rockstar_Sinistar
Kaede
Kaio
Ellis
Baal
SimianWonder
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Empty
PostSubject: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 7:01 pm

Since losing my job on friday, I've got a bit of time to kill and I fancy cracking through an RPG. Preferably something relatively cheap because lack of job means lack of funds, and something I've not tried before. I'm not fussed about what format it's on, be it 360, PS2 or PS3, DS... whatever.

Dazzle me with your suggestions, and.... go!
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 7:07 pm

Fallout 3 or New Vegas
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 7:12 pm

Already got Fallout 3, didn't really get on with it. Odd, considering I loved Oblivion.
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Would PS2 games work?
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 7:52 pm

Ellis wrote:
Would PS2 games work?

Quote :
be it 360, PS2 or PS3, DS... whatever.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 7:54 pm

FFVI
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:00 pm

...reading opening posts are for losers.

Anyway I'd try anything from level 5. Dark Cloud 1 and 2 or Rouge Galaxy. I lovve them all and I'd be suprised if I found them now for more than 10 bucks
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:05 pm

Ah, I'd quite forgotten Dark Cloud / Chronicle. Rogue Galaxy slipped under my radar entirely a few years ago, so that'd be good too. Is Chronicle a big improvement over Cloud?
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:11 pm

You have a PSP, don't you? ClaDun x2 is $20, Half-Minute Hero is £8,50 (I think), and both are really good, or you could just get a Final Fantasy from the PSN store.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:16 pm

I sold the PSP earlier this year because I never played it, and while there's quite a few really good DS RPGs they all seem to still be hovering around the thirty quid mark, which is too much.

I've still got FF7-9 on my PSone, and X and X-2 on PS2.
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:20 pm

If by Chronicle you mean Dark Cloud 2 (must be a different name across the pond) then yes it takes an great game in 1 and makes it hands down one of the best on the system.
Back to top Go down
Rockstar_Sinistar
Gary
Rockstar_Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:21 pm

You have a DS?

I've been hunting down a game called The Dark Spire. It's a dungeon crawler that can be played in two ways. The first being the modern style w/ fancy artwork and awesome music, The second being a retro black and white wire mode with basically 8-bit music. It has RPG elements, So that counts, Right?

Also, There's Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (Which I'm actually still trying to get into. Neutral Just doesn't stack to the original Tactics from the PSX (Which you should also get from PSN))

Speaking of PSX Classics, Vagrant Story is also on PSN. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://thepit.forumotion.com/
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:23 pm

Sorry, yeah, Chronicle is what we called Cloud 2 over here.

@ Zero

FF Tactics I had on the PSP, didn't really like it much. Also, still got Vagrant Story on the PSOne...

Quote :
I am the reinforcements.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:36 pm

Which is the better game, Rogue Galaxy or Dark Chronicle?
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Well BD has been harping on about disgaea, i think D3 is like 15.

Alpha protocol is probably a fiver in your local HMV. If you like checking out alternate routes and ways of doing shit thats got lots of playtime.

Not an RPG but just cause 2 is a huge time sink thats about a tenner.

LBP2 has gone platinum as has Gran Turismo 5 and both of those have crazy amounts of playtime in them.

Also when i was bored i filled in my games collection for PS3 on gamefaqs at least on that thing so feel free to hit me up on coop whenever, i've no clue what you got.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:41 pm

Buy Half-Minute Hero, it's easily the most fun I've had with a game calling itself a JRPG in years... It's on the 360 too.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:46 pm

suikoden 5!
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:48 pm

Alpha Protocol's a good shout too.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 9:34 pm

DS flashcart, then you can play SMT Devil Survivor and DQ
Back to top Go down
Zero
The Hero
Zero

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 10:18 pm

SimianWonder wrote:
Sorry, yeah, Chronicle is what we called Cloud 2 over here.

@ Zero

FF Tactics I had on the PSP, didn't really like it much. Also, still got Vagrant Story on the PSOne...

Quote :
I am the reinforcements.

Huh? I never replied to this topic until now lol.

Anyway, there's always Chrono Trigger DS or something.
Back to top Go down
http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 5:34 am

The Witcher, you can get it off gog.com for like $10 and shouldn't have any problems running it if you've bought a computer since 2008.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 7:15 am

SimianWonder wrote:
Which is the better game, Rogue Galaxy or Dark Chronicle?
Rogue Galaxy is essentially just story and combat, with a little big fighting mini game if you're interested. Dark Chronicle has a great town building mechanic that adds a whole new layer and then some to the game, along with a decent invention system for making tools and items that involves taking pictures of damn near everything. Therre's also fishing and a golf mini-game which everyone seems to hate, but I enjoyed.

Rogue Galaxy's combat is a bit better than DC's (both are real-time), but other than that DC is a much better game.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 11:03 am

Just went into the usual suspects (HMV/Game/Gamestation) to see what I could find, and the answer was... not a lot. PS2 games seem to be pretty difficult to track down on the high street, so it looks like I'll be hiting up eBay later on, and while I did find Alpha Protocol it was fifteen quid, which is about a fiver more than I really want to pay.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback, much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 1:23 pm

Found Alpha Protocol on eBay for 7.99, so ordered that. Chronicle is tougher - a new sealed copy can still fetch forty quid, so I browsed the listings and bought a used copy for fifteen quid. More than I wanted to pay, yes, but I'll offset that by selling some more DreamCast / N64 stuff.

I tried playing Star Ocean 3 today as well, but having not played it for years I sucked royally and got bored pretty quickly. The VA work is pretty awful.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 1:20 am

You know what i feel the need to play a rpg to.

I might just get ME2 now. Although i'm shocked its been the same price all year i was hoping it would've dropped at some point and DA: origins as well. Although i was thinking of getting resonance of fate or a jrpg
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...   Recommend me an RPG on the cheap... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recommend me an RPG on the cheap...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next