Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Skip
Australianus
Skip

It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Empty
PostSubject: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 11:26 pm

So far I've watched the pilot episode, with its reputation, Kaio's likely already seen it and I know Neo intends to watch it at some point.

It's basically a western with spaceships that was cancelled for some reason before its time, and from what I've seen it's damn good.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Empty
PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 11:30 pm

I'm the only Whedon fanboy in the world who just didn't really care about Firefly.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 11:31 pm

Skip wrote:
It's basically a western with spaceships that was cancelled for some reason
It was bleh.

Although there are worse shows that got much longer runs. But Firefly is nothing special.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 11:33 pm

Firefly was cancelled because nobody watched it. It's that simple.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 11:37 pm

I heard the DVDs sold really well though.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 11:38 pm

That's why it got a movie.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 11:41 pm

Which nobody watched either.
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 12:01 am

I could never get into it, though to be fair I never gave it that much effort.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 2:30 am

I've watched a few more episodes and I don't get how you guys didn't care for it. I really like it, nowhere near as much as Buffy or Angel but it deserved more than 1 season.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 9:14 pm

Firefly was great.

It has some of best characters of any TV show I've ever watched.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 10:01 pm

But not as good as Buffy's or Angel's. Or Lost's.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 10:55 pm

Kaio wrote:

I haven't watched Buffy or Angel. The only good characters in Lost are Sawyer, Locke, Desmond, Ben and Kate Hurley, Juliet and Richard.

Last edited by Casanova Lament on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 10:57 pm

Buffy, Angel and Lost all had a few more than 14 episodes in which to flesh out their characters.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Casanova Lament wrote:
Kaio wrote:

I haven't watched Buffy or Angel. The only good characters in Lost are Sawyer, Locke, Desmond, Ben and Kate Hurley, Juliet and Richard.

And Jack, Miles and Faraday.

Firefly's great characters are Mal, Jayne, River and Kaylee. Zoe and Wash had potential, but there wasn't enough time to develop them. Simon, Book and Inara were all various amounts of "fuck off, you're wasting screentime with your boring shit".

Skip wrote:
Buffy, Angel and Lost all had a few more than 14 episodes in which to flesh out their characters.

But it didn't, so we're left with a cast of characters, some great and some not so. Yeah, maybe it could've had 7 seasons with a lot of development and character moments. But it didn't. Which makes it all the more upsetting that these 14 episodes are considered Whedon's magnum opus and that its accompanying movie is genuinely considered the best sci-fi movie of all time by the internet.

I will say though that Firefly season 1 is Whedon's best first season he's ever made. Buffy season 1 was laughably bad, Angel season 1 was okay, but only the Faith episodes were outstanding and Dollhouse season 1 was a snoozer.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Also

Casanova Lament wrote:
I haven't watched Buffy or Angel.

You need to work on that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 11:27 pm

Kaio wrote:
Firefly's great characters are Mal, Jayne, River and Kaylee.

I would add Early to this list. He's amazing.

Kaio wrote:
Also

Casanova Lament wrote:
I haven't watched Buffy or Angel.

You need to work on that.

It's on my to-watch list, after I finish Cowboy Bebop.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 11:30 pm

Bebop is the best cowboys in space series ever.

And don't forget to make a watchthrough topic for Buffy/Angel, because Moose is going to watch Breaking Bad first.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 11:31 pm

Kaio wrote:
Casanova Lament wrote:
Kaio wrote:

And Jack, Miles and Faraday.

Firefly's great characters are Mal, Jayne, River and Kaylee. Zoe and Wash had potential, but there wasn't enough time to develop them. Simon, Book and Inara were all various amounts of "fuck off, you're wasting screentime with your boring shit".

Skip wrote:

But it didn't, so we're left with a cast of characters, some great and some not so. Yeah, maybe it could've had 7 seasons with a lot of development and character moments. But it didn't. Which makes it all the more upsetting that these 14 episodes are considered Whedon's magnum opus and that its accompanying movie is genuinely considered the best sci-fi movie of all time by the internet.

I will say though that Firefly season 1 is Whedon's best first season he's ever made. Buffy season 1 was laughably bad, Angel season 1 was okay, but only the Faith episodes were outstanding and Dollhouse season 1 was a snoozer.
I'd say what's upsetting is there's this show with a lot of potential, and it didn't really get a chance to live up to it. I don't know if it could top Buffy and Angel and really become his best work, but I think it should have been given a decent chance at it.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 11:41 pm

There's always the comics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.   It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It comes to my attention that there isn't a Firefly topic. Let's change that.
Page 1 of 1