Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight

Go down 
+6
Talking Sock
Zero
Neo
Baal
Savage
Kaio
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Empty
PostSubject: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 5:17 pm

First DH pt. 1 at 9 PM and then pt. 2 at midnight.

It's currently at 96% on RT, so I'm completely ready to fall in love with this one (though every movie got insanely high reviews, while I only like 3 and 7.1). I hope they improve on the ehhhh source material.
Back to top Go down
Savage
Solar-Charged

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 5:23 pm

You'll go only when I give you permission to go. Is that understood?
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 5:29 pm

will you let me go if i dress up as gandalf
Back to top Go down
Savage
Solar-Charged

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 5:38 pm

Yes.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 5:42 pm

whoo
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 12:46 am

This reminds me I need to watch the movies after 4, I completely stopped watching them despite how good they are.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 12:47 am

Just got back. As a movie on its own it was pretty great, had great action scenes, it was funny, good music (lots of old Williams piece that I assume will make Sora happy), etc.

However, as an adaption of the last 200 pages of the final Harry Potter book, it was pretty fucking awful. DH pt1 gave me hope for a faithful adaption, but Yates manages to show the important stuff, yet manages to make a lot of seem derivative and BORING compared to the book. Never did you feel there was this epic climactic battle going on, all the fighting and destruction happened off-screen (even Fred's death).

And the 19 years later was lolworthy, because everyone looked the same as they do now. Albus Severus reminded me of Justin Bieber.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 12:49 am

Baal wrote:
This reminds me I need to watch the movies after 4, I completely stopped watching them despite how good they are.

That's because those weren't made by Yates. Though 4 was the worst movie.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 12:59 am

Is Emma Watson still hot?
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 1:01 am

She is and she will look exactly the same way she does now for the coming 19 years. Hurray!
Back to top Go down
Zero
The Hero
Zero

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 1:47 am

I'm going to probably fly right through all the films and go see the new one.
Back to top Go down
http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 2:25 am

Kaio wrote:
(lots of old Williams piece that I assume will make Sora happy), etc.

The reuse of Williams' old tracks from the first two films is the only good music in the film. Desplat's score for DHp2 was so bland and not memorable at all.
Back to top Go down
Mewmaster
You're lying Dammit!
Mewmaster

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 2:40 am

Kai.

Does Mrs. Weasley say that line?
That's all I need to know.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 2:42 am

Yes.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 11:14 am

She does, but she says it very calmly. I always imagined her to barge in and shout the line.
Back to top Go down
Haseoviawesome
Should of learned English
Haseoviawesome

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 3:58 am

I really want to see Mrs Weasley's fight.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 5:55 am

Dikken Cider wrote:

There's really hardly any fight. She just says the overrated line calmly and owns Bellatrix quickly.

Anyway, the film was what I expected, being another offering from Yates. A decent, fun movie for Harry Potter fans who have read the books, mediocre and disjointed film for those who haven't.

The whole battle at Hogwarts was handled mostly well, but like I predicted, the pacing of the whole beginning prior to the trio's return to Hogwarts was hilariously rushed, with scenes jumping around quickly and lacking any proper transitions from one another(a flaw all the Yates films share).

Plot points that were neglected or weren't even introduced in previous films(as they should have been) weren't exactly wrapped up nicely either. For example, unlike in the books where we do see Harry receive that mirror from Sirius way back in OotP, none of the films ever bothered explaining how he got it or knew what the heck it was used for, so people who haven't read the novels will probably be left utterly confused by this seemingly random but pivotal object.

Then there were even more things from the books that were brought up in DH Part 2 that would have been best left out considering they didn't bother to expand or build up them anyway, so they weren't exactly emotionally gripping, such as Aberforth's whole grudge with his brother or Remus and Tonks' son(how Harry suddenly knew about his existence despite Part 1 not showing that certain scene between him and Remus in Grimmauld Place is another unexplained matter).

That's really the major reoccuring flaw that all Yates' films seem to share really(other than the oddly paced and clunky way the story is told): introducing plot points(at the wrong moments most of the time) yet never giving a proper explanation for them or fleshing them out enough to actually make their inclusion relevant.

But still, even with all that said, from the Penseive scene and onwards the story actually flowed well, the action scenes were excellent and the final confrontation was satisfying(from the way people spoke of it, it sounded as if they were going to needlessly drag it out as a long "epic" brawl, but thankfully it was still quick and great) and the epilogue was hilario-- I mean touching.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 11:10 am

I like how Harry's Invisibility Cloak is never mentioned as one of the Hallows. In fact, the Hallows aren't mentioned at all in the movie.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 11:26 am

Kaio wrote:
I like how Harry's Invisibility Cloak is never mentioned as one of the Hallows. In fact, the Hallows aren't mentioned at all in the movie.

Well, besides at the beginning when he asks Olivander if he knew about them, yeah. On a semi-related note, did you notice how he never fixes his old wand? He just snaps the Elder Wand in half and threw the pieces off the bridge. Derp.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 11:47 am

I did.

Are you looking forward yet to Knoves' screenplay of Amazing Spider-Man? It'll probably better than the HP movies because it's not a direct adaption and the humor will work well with Spidey, but... I can't help but be a little apprehensive.

Also no mention of how every dramatic action was subdued in the movie for some reason? Dumbledore was ANGRY when Snape came begging to him, Snape was PISSED when he heard Harry was going to die, but let's just not have them act that way it's not cool.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 12:09 pm

Kaio wrote:
I did.

Are you looking forward yet to Knoves' screenplay of Amazing Spider-Man? It'll probably better than the HP movies because it's not a direct adaption and the humor will work well with Spidey, but... I can't help but be a little apprehensive.

I'm not worried. Whatever issues the HP films had, the scripts weren't any of them(for the most part, the contrived romance scenes probably had the worst dialogue).

Quote :
Also no mention of how every dramatic action was subdued in the movie for some reason? Dumbledore was ANGRY when Snape came begging to him, Snape was PISSED when he heard Harry was going to die, but let's just not have them act that way it's not cool.

I didn't recall how they acted in the books during those flashbacks at the time so I wasn't bothered. Regardless, that scene was still one of the high points of the film and it was neat to see how they nicely implemented in the musical score the only Hooper motif(HBP's opening/Dumbledore's death theme) I actually found decent.

Speaking of which, seeing how Desplat references BOTH Williams' and Hooper's scores yet neglects to use any piece from Doyle's kind of pisses me off. You could imagine some great use for the Death Eaters/Dark Mark or Voldemort's GoF motif at some points. It just doesn't come full circle if you implement nearly all but one composer's contributions to the franchise, especially as it's the second best composer of the four.

Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 12:14 pm

How on earth can they not mention the hallows? It's not like they could forget. They're the freaking namesake of the movie.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 4:27 am

Oh, another thing comes to mind. It was rather interesting to see how they kept the Grey Lady in the film version. After the first three movies, the series didn't really bother showing ghosts in Hogwarts. One would think Yates would have just went in another direction with the diadem segment.

Makes me kind of wish we saw John Cleese come back as Nearly Headless Nick as well as the other ghosts floating around helping some of the young students escape in the background and being laughably useless in the battle for shits and giggles. That most likely would have taken away the tension, though. Still, it would have been fun none the less.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 10:45 pm

Ok, saw it tonight.

I thought it was really good up until...

Spoiler:

Of course, the 19 years later bit was as silly as expected, but then that was also true of the scene in the book. I just cannot fathom how Rowling, who is notoriously protective of what the films show, passed the okay on the ending scenes of that film. It might as well have shown the diretor spitting on the book before shouting "No, the novel was crap, I can do it better!"
Back to top Go down
Haseoviawesome
Should of learned English
Haseoviawesome

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 5:46 am

SOK wrote:
Dikken Cider wrote:

There's really hardly any fight. She just says the overrated line calmly and owns Bellatrix quickly.
Just watched both parts. And I will admit they did make that scene feel rushed. I thought there would of been some build up to the fight but no.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight   Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Going to Harry Potter midnight premiere tonight
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next