Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Did you bet on Duke?

Go down 
+10
Golden Boy
Superbuu3
Skip
Kaio
Haseoviawesome
Eevil-Psycho
Mewmaster
Ellis
A_Nonny_Moose
Baal
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Rockstar_Sinistar
Gary
Rockstar_Sinistar

Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 2:28 am

Ellis wrote:
You seem to be over looking what I say. I'm not trying to say this game is a masterpiece, just like you shouldn't be making it out to be the worst game of the generation. I get you don't like it, thats cool and you don't like it for some valid reasons but there is no need to make it seem like its unplayable. You don't seem to understand what it is to play a video games if you think that just becasue you didn't like a game its terrible.

Well, You know, If a person doesn't like something. They don't usually hold it in the highest of regards. >_>

Also, A bad game is still a bad game. I can enjoy the fuck out of DMC2 all I want, But it's still a bad DMC game.

FFXIII may be a good game, But it's still a bad FF game.
Back to top Go down
http://thepit.forumotion.com/
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 2:34 am

Exactly. As I said earlier in the topic it was a dissapointing for a Final Fantasy but not the worst game thats ever been put out. I like your DMC 2 reference. It's not that terrible of a game but it is still flawed and a disappointment to the series.

I knew my argument wasn't that hard to understand.

Back to top Go down
Mewmaster
You're lying Dammit!
Mewmaster

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 3:44 am

Ok, when did this get off-topic?
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 3:55 am

Ellis wrote:
Exactly. As I said earlier in the topic it was a dissapointing for a Final Fantasy but not the worst game thats ever been put out. I like your DMC 2 reference. It's not that terrible of a game but it is still flawed and a disappointment to the series.

I knew my argument wasn't that hard to understand.

It's not a very accurate argument though as FFXIII is an objectively bad game as well as being a shitty FF. Minimal gameplay, boring story and crappy characters don't make for a good video game, the fact that you enjoyed it anyway doesn't change anything.
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 5:39 am

"Minimal gameplay, boring story and crappy characters" are all subjective. The fact that you didn't enjoy it doesn't change anything.

This is my last post in the matter as it's clear no one's opinions are going to change so it's pointless. To each his own I guess.
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 10:25 am

Neo wrote:

When a game has shitty mechanincs you don't get to say "well that your problem lol" just because you liked it anyway, it only serves to make you sound like a hugely arrogant fanboy.

but the thing is, that even if it is a shitty mechanic, you'd still have more fun playing manually then to stick with auto-battle (if you invest the time in it though).. I'm not saying you would've liked it then, but it would've been at least a bit more enjoyable experience.. you might still think it's shitty, but it's less shitty then auto-battle... cause as I said, you have more control on what you're character does, and auto-battle doesn't always choose the best spells, and you can. the fact that you have to do it fast and can't make mistakes, actually adds a bit more challenge to it too.... those are valid reasons as to why manual battle would be more enjoyable... if you don't wanna invest time into playing in a more enjoyable way, then it really is your problem...
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 10:46 am

Minimal gameplay: Run along linear paths from point a to b = holding an analog stick in one direction for a while; battle system consists of pressing x every 10 seconds with the occasional shoulder button, dpad direction and x to change paradigms. Manual attack mode is inefficient, it takes too long to select the attacks that auto would usually do for you, this results in you taking more hits, meaning you need to heal/defend, making the already tedious battles take even longer. It would only be a viable option if the ATB system worked more like the older FF games.

That is not subjective.

Boring story: Angsty Androgynous Spiky Haired Teenagers Save the World MMCXVIII Rides Again: The Next Generation: The Early Years: Electric Boogaloo

That is not subjective.

Crappy characters: Angsty Androgynous Spiky Haired Teenagers, Tough Guy with a Soft Heart, Token Black Male, Quirky Foreign Girl, Generic Tough Female.

That is not subjective.
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 10:54 am

ugh, as I said, manual attack mode isn't ineffecient if you put some time into it, practice makes perfect you know...

and battle systems in previous FF's relied on just pressing one button and the d-pad to select things, and then having to sit there waiting to do your next move, how is that better than? cause you have some time to strategise?
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 11:05 am

Eevil-Psycho wrote:
ugh, as I said, manual attack mode isn't ineffecient if you put some time into it, practice makes perfect you know...
I don't believe it can ever be as fast as auto, even if you use the repeat command that won't help you when you want to, say, do a quick heal then go back on the offensive.

Quote :
and battle systems in previous FF's relied on just pressing one button and the d-pad to select things, and then having to sit there waiting to do your next move, how is that better than? cause you have some time to strategise?
Yeah, that's what I meant when I said "more like the older FF games". I would be fine with the auto option being available if the game didn't try so hard to force you to use it.
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 11:11 am

it's not as fast as auto-battle, I'll give you that, but it's fast enough to not be a hindrance (like having to do extra heals etc)
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 1:02 pm

From the sounds of things if they removed the auto system the game would've been better. The fact is if the auto option is more efficient then the manual 99% of ppl would just use it. If the manual has no real advantage other then making you feel involved, but also risks dying whats the point. Especially if some b oss fights take an hour. A good auto system results in the auto system being better then a beginner and the manual being for a advanced player. Its like using manual gear in racing games. Just my two cents, but put that way I doubt anyone could tell me that even in the auto battle sense FF13 sounds bad.

I don't care for this game i haven't played it and i won't, JRPG players have put me off JRPGs for a really long time, so i doubt i will play it.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 2:26 pm

Neo it seems you don't grasp the concepts of what is objective and what is subjective. Just because you can justify or in your mind defend your position doesn't mean that its fact. Look up the terms. It will help you out in the future to know what they mean.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Ellis wrote:
Neo it seems you don't grasp the concepts of what is objective and what is subjective. Just because you can justify or in your mind defend your position doesn't mean that its fact. Look up the terms. It will help you out in the future to know what they mean.
It is possible to comment on these things objectively, its just every seems to be too much of a fanboy or hater to actually do it. I think my comments considerin gi don't care about the game on the battle system were fairly objective.
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 2:37 pm

Yes that's right. Saying, "the characters are bad because they are 'angsty'" is completely subjective, however just purely stating that the characters display moments of angst would be objective because according to the definition of angst, they do.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 2:43 pm

TBH persona 3 was pretty freaking bland and boring yet people seem to think its the best SMT game when nocturne beat the everliving crap out of it in every respect.
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Yea I thought it was way too repetitive. I kinda like the whole doing your everyday shit aspect I got towards the end and I just couldn't bring myself to go back into Tartarus for another fucking night. I can understand why people really like it but it wasn't for me.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Ellis wrote:
Yea I thought it was way too repetitive. I kinda like the whole doing your everyday shit aspect I got towards the end and I just couldn't bring myself to go back into Tartarus for another fucking night. I can understand why people really like it but it wasn't for me.
Single people who want to chat up japanese school girls was the main market. It was a dating sim pretending to be a bad RPG. I never finished it either, seeing as the only guy i liked died. the fact thre was only one dungeon and you repeatedly had to do the same floors to grind and there really were all of like 20 different location in the game as you literally went back and forth between them. I seriously struggle to see how demon pokemon got turned into that.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 2:56 pm

Sorry, Ellis, but so called 'gameplay' that only requires you to press a single button every 10 seconds or so is minimal at best. I can't think of anything less that could possibly be implemented while still calling it a 'game', even Pong and Spacewar have more depth.

The story and characters are generic and cliched, that is a simple fact and again, not opinion.
Whether that makes them bad is certainly subjective however I'm sure you'd agree that seeing the exact same thing you've seen a hundred times before without any variation whatsoever is quite uninteresting, plain boring even.

Also didn't you tell someone off not long ago for being condescending? I must be mistaken.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Superbuu3 wrote:
TBH persona 3 was pretty freaking bland and boring yet people seem to think its the best SMT game when nocturne beat the everliving crap out of it in every respect.

It's because Persona 3 is the only SMT game most people have played.
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 3:05 pm

Naw you're right Neo my bad I sometimes do get like that when I'm in an argument. I see that's definitely how it came out so I apologize.

I just don't see why we can't agree to disagree though.The game has a lot of flaws I'll give you that, but for me there were enough redeeming factors to make the experience enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 3:12 pm

In all fairness this was the start of everything getting condescending and it was just downhill from there.

Kaio wrote:
Ellis wrote:
Really? That post went bad with the first thing you said Kaio. It's pretty obvious you haven't invested much time into the game. Sure there are problems and many lay in what you said in your post but you know how bad you're exaggerating most of it. It sounds like you guys are just hating it for the sake of hating it.

I'm not exagerating anything. I played up to the world "opened up" (yeah, one big fucking field whatever). If you don't understand what's inherently wrong with FFXIII, the you don't understand the essence of playing a videogame.

Baal wrote:
Superbuu3 wrote:

If they consider themselves SMT fans they should play all the SMT games go tell them that next time you see them.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Please, I don't go on those boards anymore.

Actually this all started because I mentioned FFXIII.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 3:33 pm

Superbuu3 wrote:
In all fairness this was the start of everything getting condescending and it was just downhill from there.

Kaio wrote:
Ellis wrote:
Really? That post went bad with the first thing you said Kaio. It's pretty obvious you haven't invested much time into the game. Sure there are problems and many lay in what you said in your post but you know how bad you're exaggerating most of it. It sounds like you guys are just hating it for the sake of hating it.

I'm not exagerating anything. I played up to the world "opened up" (yeah, one big fucking field whatever). If you don't understand what's inherently wrong with FFXIII, the you don't understand the essence of playing a videogame.

Baal wrote:
Superbuu3 wrote:

If they consider themselves SMT fans they should play all the SMT games go tell them that next time you see them.

Pretty sure it became condescending when people where accusing me of not even playing the game properly.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Also I hate it when people automatically refer to angst as a negative. Angst can be done well, it's just that the Japanese don't have a clue how to do it. And instead of using it to strengten a character, it weakens them.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 3:54 pm

Kaio wrote:
Pretty sure it became condescending when people where accusing me of not even playing the game properly.
I don't think i noticed that, but yeah that would be.

Kaio wrote:
Also I hate it when people automatically refer to angst as a negative. Angst can be done well, it's just that the Japanese don't have a clue how to do it. And instead of using it to strengten a character, it weakens them.
The fact that angsty characters annoy most people doesn't help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did you bet on Duke?   Did you bet on Duke? - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Did you bet on Duke?
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next