Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metroid: Other M Review by Baal

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Empty
PostSubject: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:02 pm

Okay time has passed, my memories of the game are still fresh and blah blah blah, I can form a coherent opinion of this game. This game is... good. It's not fantastic like the Prime series but it's good. The gameplay is solid and easy to handle (Well, the missile using is annoying to get used to at first but still), the game isn't very difficult but then again I've never played these games for their difficulty. The scenery varies on how good it is, I personally loved the Pyrosphere and Biosphere. The voice acting... well, it's like watching a 90s dubbed anime with all of the stupid lines removed. The dialogue is atrociously bad, I've written better dialogue than this when I was 15 and writing that god awful Kingdom Hearts styled fanfic, I'd go so far as to say the dialogue is as bad as any KH game starting with 2 and Dissidia. The story is good despite the bad dialogue, although it does have its moments of sheer stupidity sometimes.

The music is good, as is normal by now. The monster designs vary from good to downright silly. I do like what they did with Ridley in this game, he has stages of evolution and they do manage to give you many good hints when you see his first form that it is Ridley. Hell, his second form's theme has little bits of Ridley's regular theme in there if you listen well enough and the fight with Ridley when he becomes his Pterodactyl-like self again is the best part of the damn game. It does bring back some bosses from the past which I did like because I got to fight Nightmare again and the Metroid Queen was pretty cool. Phantoon was a very out-of-nowhere last boss but still kind of cool. There was a lot of controversy going about the "Ridley scares Samus shitless" scene which people thought was unrealistic... except, it wasn't because PTSD is real and that's exactly what Samus suffers from.

If you plan on buying this game at some point then I'd wait for the price to go down (If it hasn't already).
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:09 pm

The story wasn't good, unless you like the fact that Samus is a prissy drama queen.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Samus sounded out of character in this from what i've heard of the plot i.e. freaking out when she fights that guy she always fights.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:11 pm

She also spends 90% of the time going on and on about her old pal. And she can only use weapons when he authorises it.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:11 pm

It was already established that she was angsting due to having a lot of family figures either dying (Her parents and the baby Metroid which was a like her own child) or being enormous pricks (Adam). I think it's understandable that even the most stoic of stoic people have their buttons you can press to make them fall into depression.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:14 pm

Kaio wrote:
She also spends 90% of the time going on and on about her old pal. And she can only use weapons when he authorises it.

Which really only reaches an idiotic point come the Pyrosphere when he doesn't authorize the Varia Suit UNTIL THE BOSS FIGHT!

SuperBuu3 wrote:
Samus sounded out of character in this from what i've heard of the plot i.e. freaking out when she fights that guy she always fights.

It was stated by Sakamoto that Other M, Fusion and Super Metroid are different universes than Prime. It's been established in the past that Samus had parental feelings for the Baby Metroid and Fusion had her talk about her old pal, Adam a lot and what she meant to him.

It's not really out of character when it's been established a lot in the past that she is quite emotional when you get down to it.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:16 pm

Baal wrote:
It was already established that she was angsting due to having a lot of family figures either dying (Her parents and the baby Metroid which was a like her own child) or being enormous pricks (Adam). I think it's understandable that even the most stoic of stoic people have their buttons you can press to make them fall into depression.
Samus is a fucking tank that is really fast and dodges shit, had the pressure of saving the universe multiple times and remained stoic and suddenly she's going to be angsty? Is also going to be a tool when she was a one man army as well?

I can't wait for emo angsty Dante when he finally pops up and watching you trying to defend him.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:20 pm

Superbuu3 wrote:
Baal wrote:
Samus is a fucking tank that is really fast and dodges shit, had the pressure of saving the universe multiple times and remained stoic and suddenly she's going to be angsty? Is also going to be a tool when she was a one man army as well?

I can't wait for emo angsty Dante when he finally pops up and watching you trying to defend him.

Do you even know what PTSD is Buu?

EDIT: Scratch that, if you did we wouldn't be having this argument and you wouldn't be acting like an irrational idiot immediately bringing up DMC like that's somehow relevant to this argument.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:29 pm

Baal wrote:
Superbuu3 wrote:
Baal wrote:

Do you even know what PTSD is Buu?

EDIT: Scratch that, if you did we wouldn't be having this argument and you wouldn't be acting like an irrational idiot immediately bringing up DMC like that's somehow relevant to this argument.
I'm aware of PTSD, but if she never had it in any other game i don't get why she's getting it now. You said 3 other games were in this same gameverse. We've had this argument before someone bitching and whining doesn't equal character development. There are other ways to develop a character, angst uncertainty is normally a craps writers attempt at writing something meaningful.

Also DMC is always relevant and you seem to love whiney characters.
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:33 pm

Buu stop bringing up the new Dante. It's like Freddy Krueger, if no one believes in him he isn't real.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Angst is only a good device when it's logically built up and used to develop and strengthen the character throughout (basically see any Joss Whedon show to see this done right).

This was not such a case. It only made Samus weak and frail.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Ellis wrote:
Buu stop bringing up the new Dante. It's like Freddy Krueger, if no one believes in him he isn't real.
There making a new crossover game of Other M Samus vs New DMC Dante I assure you that shit will give you nightmares.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:36 pm

Kaio wrote:
Angst is only a good device when it's logically built up and used to develop and strengthen the character throughout (basically see any Joss Whedon show to see this done right).

Pretty much, like i was saying if you 3 out of 4 games she's not angsty and then suddenly is thats character inconsistency thats not development.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:42 pm

Quote :
I'm aware of PTSD, but if she never had it in any other game i don't get why she's getting it now.

Because the game takes place immediately after Super Metroid. The same game where the Baby Metroid she grew motherly towards is killed in front of her own eyes, the game even takes a few minutes to show the events at the end of the game to make it clear she is still reeling from the effects and is still highly emotional.

What, do you think people just get over the death of their child after a few minutes and PTSD is always instant? It's not, see more here for Trufacts.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/81909/ptsd-or-weakness-real-experts-on-why-samus-didnt-shoot/

Quote :
We've had this argument before someone bitching and whining doesn't equal character development.

It doesn't, because it's already an established part of their character. It's when they can get beyond that is that it's character development, which all of these characters do. It's not their fault you want your characters to be walking tanks of 1-Dimension that you can't see past this.

Quote :
There are other ways to develop a character, angst uncertainty is normally a craps writers attempt at writing something meaningful.

And you think having the cheerful character who is always happy is a good method too? Variety is the spice of life, there's a lot of both types and both are equally as dull. It's when you add dimensions that the character becomes interesting (Raiden, Nero, Dante and so on) and this is what Samus has had for a while.

Quote :
Also DMC is always relevant and you seem to love whiney characters.

Again, it's not my fault you want all of your characters to be as one-dimensional as possible and I only whiny characters that have character development... which all of the whiny characters I like have.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:44 pm

Kaio wrote:

In the eyes of Metroid fans for years. It's been built up since the original Metroid manga in 1986, mind you it wasn't built up well for the westerners because most of the translated ones were only translated in the 00's.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:46 pm

You're right baal Dante is a one dimensional character, the new one will be a huge improvement.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:48 pm

Baal wrote:
And you think having the cheerful character who is always happy is a good method too?

Only Moose thinks that.

Baal wrote:
Kaio wrote:

In the eyes of Metroid fans for years. It's been built up since the original Metroid manga in 1986, mind you it wasn't built up well for the westerners because most of the translated ones were only translated in the 00's.

Who gives a fuck about the manga.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:51 pm

Kaio wrote:
Who gives a fuck about the manga.

It's canon but I can understand why no one would care much about it as it's pretty lackluster in terms of everything that isn't involving Samus' origins.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:53 pm

Superbuu3 wrote:
You're right baal Dante is a one dimensional character, the new one will be a huge improvement.

I am not saying Dante is one-dimensional at all and really it seems like the new Dante will one-dimensional if the director's interviews are anything to go by. That and the smoking in the moonlight thing is so much bullshit it pisses me off.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 8:57 pm

Baal wrote:
Superbuu3 wrote:

I am not saying Dante is one-dimensional at all and really it seems like the new Dante will one-dimensional if the director's interviews are anything to go by. That and the smoking in the moonlight thing is so much bullshit it pisses me off.

You also said:
Quote :
Again, it's not my fault you want all of your characters to be as one-dimensional as possible and I only whiny characters that have character development... which all of the whiny characters I like have.
You act like only whiny characters are developed so stop acting pretentious by telling me i only like one dimensional characters, you know that i don't like only one dimensional character i'm just not bothered by them. I prefer a one dimensional character over a whiny one (unless done properly), and i prefer a developed character over a one dimensional one (again if done properly). In short i don't see why people try to develpo a charcter if they do it badly.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Quote :
You also said:

And half of that was meant to be taken with a dose of salt, obviously you don't like only one-dimensional characters but acting like the only one's that are annoying are the whiny ones and like a few of the whiny one don't develop is a bad way to think.

Quote :
In short i don't see why people try to develpo a charcter if they do it badly.

Because people have differing opinions? Mind you, Sakomoto acting like this game is the gospel because he made it is absolutely retarded and only works to push people from the game but there ya go.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 9:04 pm

Baal wrote:
Quote :
You also said:

And half of that was meant to be taken with a dose of salt, obviously you don't like only one-dimensional characters but acting like the only one's that are annoying are the whiny ones and like a few of the whiny one don't develop is a bad way to think.
Angsty characters are generally the worst developed because they need a proper back story and a good one. A childlike happy go lucky guy is copmaratively easy as people will accept that character at face value and as long as he doesn't change too much whatever way he grows normally can be accepted.

The main problem here is Samus is a character who's been around for ages, also developing a primarily video game character in a manga then expecting all gameplayers to know what happens in the manga is just douchey.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Superbuu3 wrote:
Baal wrote:
Quote :
You also said:

Angsty characters are generally the worst developed because they need a proper back story and a good one. A childlike happy go lucky guy is copmaratively easy as people will accept that character at face value and as long as he doesn't change too much whatever way he grows normally can be accepted.

The main problem here is Samus is a character who's been around for ages, also developing a primarily video game character in a manga then expecting all gameplayers to know what happens in the manga is just douchey.

I agree with the latter, it is a very stupid idea in general but you have to remember, the Metroid games stories didn't start coming into context until about Super Metroid. Before that you had what the video game manual told you to go on and any other promotional material too, the manga counts towards the story but they didn't make it accessible to the west at all and that's a poor decision on their parts. Either way, to westerners it's not like Samus had an established personality beyond "KILL, DESTROY, ESCAPE THE SELF-DESTRUCTING SHIP" until Super Metroid where she was shown to have emotions and such.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metroid: Other M Review by Baal   Metroid: Other M Review by Baal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metroid: Other M Review by Baal
Page 1 of 1