Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I'm glads spyro went out with a bang

Go down 
+3
Talking Sock
A_Nonny_Moose
Superbuu3
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

I'm glads spyro went out with a bang Empty
PostSubject: I'm glads spyro went out with a bang   I'm glads spyro went out with a bang Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 2:46 am

I just started playing dawn of the dragon i remember having bought this on my ps2 brand new. I never actually played it as i didn't buy it for myself, but wow its debatedly my favourite spyro game, which was probably a competition between hero's tail and year of the dragon.

The levels are sprawling it has an uneasy start but there's so many secrets to find, i honestly feel sorry for sierra they genuinely learnt from there mistakes and the coop is really entertaining. As soon as you get to the better lit levels things just really are awesome.

Did anyone else play it?
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: I'm glads spyro went out with a bang   I'm glads spyro went out with a bang Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 3:47 am

Never played the Spyro games. In fact, platforming in general on the PS1 passed me by. I remember playing Croc though.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: I'm glads spyro went out with a bang   I'm glads spyro went out with a bang Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 3:50 am

PS2 was the best system for platformers by a long shot. This gen genre blends too much and lack of worthwhile discoverable items or unlockables.

Seeing as you seem quite the big platformer fan i'd suggest you start borrowing some old games off your mates.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: I'm glads spyro went out with a bang   I'm glads spyro went out with a bang Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 3:52 am

I doubt they have any.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: I'm glads spyro went out with a bang   I'm glads spyro went out with a bang Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 3:55 am

I have to admit, I do miss the old Spyro games. I did enjoy the recent Legend trilogy as well, specifically the first two which were more similar to the classics. The third one was still ok though.

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
Never played the Spyro games. In fact, platforming in general on the PS1 passed me by. I remember playing Croc though.

I remember renting that all those years ago and it kept glitching and freezing on the first level and I couldn't move forward...Had to take it back. Rented the second game of it and it seemed ok.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: I'm glads spyro went out with a bang   I'm glads spyro went out with a bang Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 3:59 am

In fact, I really can't remember what I ever played on the PS1. I had the Oddworld games, the Tekken games, the GTA games... and that's pretty much all I remember.

Oh no, wait, I had Time Crisis and a light gun. And I had that Die Hard Trilogy game, which also used the light gun for the second movie.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: I'm glads spyro went out with a bang   I'm glads spyro went out with a bang Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 4:02 am

I despised croc.

Gex 3d was the first 3d platformer i really enjoyed.

My ranking of best platformers:
PoP: Sands of time trilogy
I-Ninja
Spyro Original Trilogy/Ratchet and Clank 1
Rayman trilogy/Jak Trilogy

Rocket knight adventures probably blows them all out of the water but its 2d platforming and there is an absolute shit load of those i've played.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: I'm glads spyro went out with a bang   I'm glads spyro went out with a bang Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 4:09 am

Never played the 3D Gex games. I remember playing the 2D ones though. The first Jak game is probably my favourite platformer to date, 2D or 3D.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: I'm glads spyro went out with a bang   I'm glads spyro went out with a bang Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 4:11 am

I still have the demo disc of that playsation magazine which contained a level of the second 3D Gex game. I think it was the same disc that had the T'ai Fu demo in it and some video of a Tekken 3 tournament.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: I'm glads spyro went out with a bang   I'm glads spyro went out with a bang Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 4:15 am

See if you can get a hold of sands of time its such a great game everyone should have played it, well if they like platformers.

Uncharted borrows from it extremely heavily.

Very few platforming games that a speed run is so satisfying on.

Warrior within was absolutely amazing, but some people ran into glitches and due to the less colurful visuals it did lose out.

I'm pretty sure i reviewed the whole trilogy somewhere here. Also the ass creed climbing took almost everything from PoP as well. The fact so many big name games took so much from it is a testament to how ahead of its time it was. Shame they never managed to perfect it. I completely agree with everything yahtzee says about the game.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: I'm glads spyro went out with a bang   I'm glads spyro went out with a bang Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 4:16 am

Oh and speaking of which, that takes me back. I have a handful of those demo discs and I remember one had the Ape Escape one and kept the Japanese voice for Spike, I was really mindfucked on why the hell his voice was so damn high(as I rented the game prior).

Man, I miss Ape Escape. We got the UK dub instead of the US one, being PALers and all. Specter's voice was awesome.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: I'm glads spyro went out with a bang   I'm glads spyro went out with a bang Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 4:17 am

There's one of those Collection things coming out for the Sands of Time trilogy I think. You know, all on one disc and HD and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: I'm glads spyro went out with a bang   I'm glads spyro went out with a bang Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 4:22 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
There's one of those Collection things coming out for the Sands of Time trilogy I think. You know, all on one disc and HD and stuff.

Fuck I might have to buy it which kinda sucks I already own the PS2 trilogy >_>, but i fucking love these games.

Check out this combat vid: