Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So what is it about these 80's and in one case 70's movies I like?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bassman
Deck Hand
Bassman

So what is it about these 80's and in one case 70's movies I like? Empty
PostSubject: So what is it about these 80's and in one case 70's movies I like?   So what is it about these 80's and in one case 70's movies I like? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 7:45 am

This is going to be short (PS3 buffer!). I have fairly varied tastes in movies, bit there are a few (probably had to buy them from the US) older movies that I particular like for some obscure reason.

These "gems" include "Dark Star" (the only 70's one) a John Carpenter movie. "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension" (count the stars!), "Night of the Comet", "Killer Klowns From Outer Space" (just plain bizarre), "Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone", "The Ice Pirates" (it was a comedy Sci Fi movie and had its moments) and a possibly more mainstream movie "Big Trouble in Little China".

I am surprise to find Peter (Robocop" Weller, Chrstopher (Back to the Future) Lloyd, John Lithgow (currently in Dexter) and Jeff (Jurassic Park) Goldblum appearing in Buckaroo Banzai. Ellen Barkin is also a "bigger name" from the past and in that movie.

I suppose the appeal is that the movies are differnent from your normal mainstream movie. Most seem to be available in the UK... now!
Back to top Go down
Savage
Solar-Charged

PostSubject: Re: So what is it about these 80's and in one case 70's movies I like?   So what is it about these 80's and in one case 70's movies I like? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 7:47 am

The SFX were grittier, and therefore, cooler?
Back to top Go down
Bassman
Deck Hand
Bassman

PostSubject: Re: So what is it about these 80's and in one case 70's movies I like?   So what is it about these 80's and in one case 70's movies I like? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 7:57 am

It was probably the offbeat story in most cases. Night of the Comet is a farily "normal" post apocalyptic story (everyone who witnessed the Comet either turned to dust or became a Flesh-Eating Zombie... OK... offbeat)!

I think I managed to see all the movies on the TV initially and had a difficult job of getting hold of them on DVD (or at least VHS videos initially in some cases). Inevitably it was down to the Americans to release the DVD first... being American movies I suppose that helped!
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So what is it about these 80's and in one case 70's movies I like?   So what is it about these 80's and in one case 70's movies I like? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 5:23 pm

Because big trouble in little china is the greatest film ever made
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Bassman
Deck Hand
Bassman

PostSubject: Re: So what is it about these 80's and in one case 70's movies I like?   So what is it about these 80's and in one case 70's movies I like? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 6:01 pm

I have the American 2 disk special edition of "Big Trouble in Little China" definitely one of my favourite movies.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: So what is it about these 80's and in one case 70's movies I like?   So what is it about these 80's and in one case 70's movies I like? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 6:06 pm

CAn't remember if i have the special edition of that one or not, the edited out scenes sounded interesting but the ending was fine as it was.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So what is it about these 80's and in one case 70's movies I like?   So what is it about these 80's and in one case 70's movies I like? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So what is it about these 80's and in one case 70's movies I like?
Page 1 of 1