Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes
 
HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Mortal Kombat 9

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Old School
A Pretty Fly Guy
avatar

Posts : 806
Joined : 2010-08-14
Location : The Internet

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Blair Waldorf wrote:
Saibot wrote:
It even beat SSF4AE(Which is the more hardcore fighting game IMO) and MvC as the best fighting game recently.

Wow, really?

Yeah, really.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
avatar

Posts : 26838
Joined : 2008-07-31
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:02 pm

Blair Waldorf wrote:
Saibot wrote:
It even beat SSF4AE(Which is the more hardcore fighting game IMO) and MvC as the best fighting game recently.

Wow, really?

That's not really surprising. MK is a far more well known name to people and ended up selling more copies than both SSFIVAE and MVC3 did based on that.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
avatar

Posts : 4137
Joined : 2010-12-02
Age : 29
Location : Pittsburgh, PA

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:08 pm

I don't know about that. In my experience when people think of fighting games they think of SF. MK is very well known and most recognize the series, but even people who don't play video games know about Street Fighter. Hell, a lot of people think it was the first fighting game.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
avatar

Posts : 26838
Joined : 2008-07-31
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:11 pm

No, people have known about MK well enough for a long time. Especially since it's one of the reasons the ESRB system even started to begin with, it's a series that spawns controversy and even got banned in Australia. It's had far more publicity than SF has had even if SF is very popular.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Savage
Solar-Charged


Posts : 2715
Joined : 2009-12-22
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:22 pm

MK9 being regarded as a better fighter than SF4 or especially MVC3 shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. It's one of the best "current gen" fighters around, or at least has the smallest amount of stupid things going on in it.
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
avatar

Posts : 4137
Joined : 2010-12-02
Age : 29
Location : Pittsburgh, PA

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Yea people have known about MK since it came out, but that's also the case with SF. Without SF no one would even be playing fighting games right now though.
Back to top Go down
Savage
Solar-Charged


Posts : 2715
Joined : 2009-12-22
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:29 pm

How so?
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
avatar

Posts : 4137
Joined : 2010-12-02
Age : 29
Location : Pittsburgh, PA

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:31 pm

Because SFII started the arcade fighting boom. C'mon man that's common video game knowledge.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
avatar

Posts : 26838
Joined : 2008-07-31
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:34 pm

Red Red Red wrote:
MK9 being regarded as a better fighter than SF4 or especially MVC3 shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. It's one of the best "current gen" fighters around, or at least has the smallest amount of stupid things going on in it.

The fact that you think this is nothing short of hilarious. Especially since MK tourneys are dominated by Kung Lao's and Mileena's.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Savage
Solar-Charged


Posts : 2715
Joined : 2009-12-22
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:01 pm

SF4 tournaments are dominated by Yun and Fei Long. Tekken 6 tournaments are dominated by Bob. Marvel 3 tournaments are dominated by Wesker and Phoenix. Fighting games having clearly cut top-tier characters isn't a newsflash, or did you mean to imply something else?
Back to top Go down
Old School
A Pretty Fly Guy
avatar

Posts : 806
Joined : 2010-08-14
Location : The Internet

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:49 pm

Baal wrote:
Blair Waldorf wrote:
Saibot wrote:
It even beat SSF4AE(Which is the more hardcore fighting game IMO) and MvC as the best fighting game recently.

Wow, really?

That's not really surprising. MK is a far more well known name to people and ended up selling more copies than both SSFIVAE and MVC3 did based on that.

Umm, no. Not really.
Mortal Kombat is a really well-known series, but Street Fighter will always be the most popular fighting game series.
Street Fighter 2 basically started the whole hardcore fighting game community.
It was also the start of fighting games on the arcade.

Saying Mortal Kombat is more well known then Street Fighter is incorrect is all I'm saying.

Oh, and MK9 tourneys have variety of characters being used with the exception of some of the lower tier guys.
But the most over used is Kung Lao.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
avatar

Posts : 41012
Joined : 2008-07-31
Age : 2016
Location : Nosgoth

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:57 pm

Street fighter is never covered in the news...

Baal makes a perfectly valid point. The fact a game is banned means the whole of australia is aware of it not just gamers. Also since when has hardcore ever equaled mainstream. Sure SF2 was hugely popular but you do realise we didn't even get street fighter 3 until recently.

_________________
Stop trying to save the world and get a hobby.

Neo wrote:
Kids shouldn't be exposed to sonic fans, they might become one.

Spoiler:
 

My youtube channel, let's plays and trophy videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/superbuu3
Back to top Go down
http://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
avatar

Posts : 22112
Joined : 2008-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:04 am

The only thing this game got praise for was it's single player content. Which just goes to show you exactly the type of people that are playing it. As a tournament fighter it's definitely the weakest of the big name games, even if it's not the least popular.

_________________
I am an genius
PSN: A_Nonny_Moose
Back to top Go down
Old School
A Pretty Fly Guy
avatar

Posts : 806
Joined : 2010-08-14
Location : The Internet

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:21 am


@Buu

It's a fact however that SF2 out-sold every fighting game in the 90's(MK 1-3 included) and Street Fighter is still currently out-selling MK9. I'll admit, MK has more media attention, but popularity wise, SF is superior.

@Moose

You seem to have the word single-player mixed up with offline.
By the way, MK is anything but weak in the tournament light. It's part of the big three.

This has been the most tournament worthy MK since 3 and it's been welcomed with open arms.
Hell, they started up some MK3 tournaments again because of this game.

So far there have been god-knows-how-many MK tourneys and streams going on.
The most recent being "Tom Brady vs. The World", which started like yesterday.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
avatar

Posts : 26838
Joined : 2008-07-31
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:24 am

Red Red Red wrote:
SF4 tournaments are dominated by Yun and Fei Long. Tekken 6 tournaments are dominated by Bob. Marvel 3 tournaments are dominated by Wesker and Phoenix. Fighting games having clearly cut top-tier characters isn't a newsflash, or did you mean to imply something else?

No I mean that the balance in MK is massively skewed especially compared to those games. MK is seen as a fucking joke by the fighting game community because it doesn't offer a lot to the table in terms of the actual game part and is fucking laughed at by a good portion of the community. It is not a better fighting game than MvC3 and SSFIVAE, not even close. It is a fun game that has a lot of extra stuff but it is by no means a better fighter than either of them. The game has a massive lack of depth, everything is made to be pretty easy to do and in general it's just a bore to watch the game unless two people are going all out with the gore, which you will rarely see in tournaments because no likes doing the fucking fatalities in those.

MK is loved for its gore and how cartoonishly it handles the gore, not because of some fucking deep fighting mechanics or hard to learn stuff, which has never been the fucking case with Mortal Kombat because the series has always been pretty simple. People are drawn to Mortal Kombat because it is more of a spectacle than Street Fighter or Marvel vs Capcom and the gore is a big part of that spectacle, especially since it gets massive media attention and got banned in a damn country.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
avatar

Posts : 26838
Joined : 2008-07-31
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:25 am

Quote :
Street Fighter is still currently out-selling MK9. I'll admit, MK has more media attention, but popularity wise, SF is superior.

No it is not, MK9 outsold both SSFIV and MvC3. Unless you're trying to count all versions of SFIV together in which case you'd be right but that's not exactly fair to MK so we're only using AE as an example because that's the most recent version.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
avatar

Posts : 41012
Joined : 2008-07-31
Age : 2016
Location : Nosgoth

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:30 am

Wingers a game being popular in the 90s is no reflection of a game being popular now. People liked Gary glitter twenty years ago, check out what he's up to these days.

I have no clue what your big 3 is but MK was never part of it.

_________________
Stop trying to save the world and get a hobby.

Neo wrote:
Kids shouldn't be exposed to sonic fans, they might become one.

Spoiler:
 

My youtube channel, let's plays and trophy videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/superbuu3
Back to top Go down
http://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Old School
A Pretty Fly Guy
avatar

Posts : 806
Joined : 2010-08-14
Location : The Internet

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:36 am

Baal wrote:
Red Red Red wrote:
SF4 tournaments are dominated by Yun and Fei Long. Tekken 6 tournaments are dominated by Bob. Marvel 3 tournaments are dominated by Wesker and Phoenix. Fighting games having clearly cut top-tier characters isn't a newsflash, or did you mean to imply something else?

No I mean that the balance in MK is massively skewed especially compared to those games. MK is seen as a fucking joke by the fighting game community because it doesn't offer a lot to the table in terms of the actual game part and is fucking laughed at by a good portion of the community. It is not a better fighting game than MvC3 and SSFIVAE, not even close. It is a fun game that has a lot of extra stuff but it is by no means a better fighter than either of them. The game has a massive lack of depth, everything is made to be pretty easy to do and in general it's just a bore to watch the game unless two people are going all out with the gore, which you will rarely see in tournaments because no likes doing the fucking fatalities in those.

MK is loved for its gore and how cartoonishly it handles the gore, not because of some fucking deep fighting mechanics or hard to learn stuff, which has never been the fucking case with Mortal Kombat because the series has always been pretty simple. People are drawn to Mortal Kombat because it is more of a spectacle than Street Fighter or Marvel vs Capcom and the gore is a big part of that spectacle, especially since it gets massive media attention and got banned in a damn country.

I agree and disagree with some cases of you post.

The fact that MK will not be as big as Street Fighter and majority of the fighting game community prefer most other games is the part I agree with.

But apart about people seeing it as an overall joke to the fighting genre and it bring simple is just incorrect.
Now to be honest, there are people who wouldn't take MK as seriously as other fighters, but then again there are people in the fighting genre playing the game hard and what not.

Which leads to my next point: MK is not a simple game. It's just not as complex as most fighting games.
Other fighters will give you a skill set of 50 something combos and some specials.
MK on the other hands you a handful of moves and expect you to create your combos.
Keep in mind, I'm referring to MK 1, 2, 3, and 2011.
Those 3-D iterations can go burn in videogame hell for all I care.
Back to top Go down
Old School
A Pretty Fly Guy
avatar

Posts : 806
Joined : 2010-08-14
Location : The Internet

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:43 am

Baal wrote:
Quote :
Street Fighter is still currently out-selling MK9. I'll admit, MK has more media attention, but popularity wise, SF is superior.

No it is not, MK9 outsold both SSFIV and MvC3. Unless you're trying to count all versions of SFIV together in which case you'd be right but that's not exactly fair to MK so we're only using AE as an example because that's the most recent version.

Well it's not really fair either way seeing that MK had a 3 or 4 month head start.
That and I didn't really expect too many people to be getting AE if chances are they already had the original or SS4

Superbuu3 wrote:
Wingers a game being popular in the 90s is no reflection of a game being popular now. People liked Gary glitter twenty years ago, check out what he's up to these days.

I have no clue what your big 3 is but MK was never part of it.

I assumed that because all the big fighting game events that came up as of lately, the main attractions were Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom and Mortal Kombat.
And you'd be surprised by how many people are going crazy for MK at those things.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
avatar

Posts : 26838
Joined : 2008-07-31
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:48 am

Quote :
Well it's not really fair either way seeing that MK had a 3 or 4 month head start.

Actually it was 2 months and the game has outsold another popular fighting game series and another that had a two-month head start on it despite being banned in a continent... that's pretty fucking good.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Old School
A Pretty Fly Guy
avatar

Posts : 806
Joined : 2010-08-14
Location : The Internet

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:50 am

Baal wrote:
Quote :
Well it's not really fair either way seeing that MK had a 3 or 4 month head start.

Actually it was 2 months and the game has outsold another popular fighting game series and another that had a two-month head start on it despite being banned in a continent... that's pretty fucking good.

Two months?
You sure?

I thought AE came out in like August or late July.
Back to top Go down
Golden Boy
Style Icon
avatar

Posts : 9298
Joined : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:02 am

Baal is absolutely right about MK9. It is fun, but it's still a very mediocre and bland fighting game.
Btw, you guys seem to be forgetting that the Japanese (and other Asians) are mainly arcade players and SF is quite popular over there.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
avatar

Posts : 41012
Joined : 2008-07-31
Age : 2016
Location : Nosgoth

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:07 am

Blair Waldorf wrote:
Baal is absolutely right about MK9. It is fun, but it's still a very mediocre and bland fighting game.
Btw, you guys seem to be forgetting that the Japanese (and other Asians) are mainly arcade players and SF is quite popular over there.
Baal was commenting on how well known MK is, the bans mean everyone hears about it. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

_________________
Stop trying to save the world and get a hobby.

Neo wrote:
Kids shouldn't be exposed to sonic fans, they might become one.

Spoiler:
 

My youtube channel, let's plays and trophy videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/superbuu3
Back to top Go down
http://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
avatar

Posts : 22112
Joined : 2008-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:08 am

I said single player because I meant single player.

_________________
I am an genius
PSN: A_Nonny_Moose
Back to top Go down
Old School
A Pretty Fly Guy
avatar

Posts : 806
Joined : 2010-08-14
Location : The Internet

PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:08 am

Blair Waldorf wrote:
Baal is absolutely right about MK9. It is fun, but it's still a very mediocre and bland fighting game.Btw, you guys seem to be forgetting that the Japanese (and other Asians) are mainly arcade players and SF is quite popular over there.

I really don't want to come off as a blind fanboy, but no.
It really isn't. It is one of the year's best in the genre.

Quote :

I said single player because I meant single player.

Well you're wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Mortal Kombat 9   

Back to top Go down
 
Mortal Kombat 9
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Similar topics
-
» OT Mortal Kombat
» Mortal Kombat X
» Mortal Kombat X Discussion 2
» Mortal Kombat Scorpion Armor or Boba Fett Armor?
» Ironside theme time

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Raziel's Domain :: Entertainment :: Games :: Fighting-
Jump to: