Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dragon Age 2

Go down 
+4
Superbuu3
Neo
SimianWonder
Kimarous
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Rockstar_Sinistar
Gary
Rockstar_Sinistar

Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Meh, Who cares. I just wonder if there are other options of...interest. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://thepit.forumotion.com/
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 11:46 pm

Three LIs is pretty meagre, yeah. I wouldn't even mind if they were three really good ones, but I can't really see myself finding either the elf girl or the skanky pirate chick particularly lovable.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 12:16 am

I think there are more, I haven't played the game.
Back to top Go down
Kimarous
CP9 Agent
Kimarous

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 9:11 am

There's Fenris as well. Male elf.
Back to top Go down
Rockstar_Sinistar
Gary
Rockstar_Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 12:55 am

Kimarous wrote:
There's Fenris as well. Male elf.

Oh, So instead of being able to play as a male elf, I have the option of having one as my LI? Oh, Wait, I could have both in Origins. -_- ...Bah, One out of two is better than nothing. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:13 am

So Bioware is in full damage control mode now that this has been released. Their forum mods are being nazis locking/deleting threads left and right and not even responding to the legitimate complaints most of the time.
People have been banned from the forums which has resulted in their legally purchased games/DLC being unplayable thanks to the stupid "Bioware Social Account" required to install the game. EA violated a court order and included SecuROM copy-protection on the disc without any mention of it on the box or in the manual or EULA.
The lead writer of a game blamed 4chan for the low user review score on metacritic, even though there were just as many Biodrones spamming 10/10 scores as there were trolls. The well written, constructive reviews with low scores have been completely ignored because "they're all trolls".
That's not including all the problems with the game itself.

I hope ME3 isn't ruined like this.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:21 am

Neo wrote:
EA violated a court order and included SecuROM copy-protection on the disc without any mention of it on the box or in the manual or EULA.
Having no morals is one thing, disregarding the law is another thing entirely.
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:47 am

Just another reason not to buy an EA game.
Back to top Go down
Rockstar_Sinistar
Gary
Rockstar_Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 12:02 pm

Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Copypr10
Back to top Go down
Kimarous
CP9 Agent
Kimarous

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 7:59 am

Neo wrote:
EA violated a court order and included SecuROM copy-protection on the disc without any mention of it on the box or in the manual or EULA.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6194280/29#6490247

Fernando Melo wrote:
We've already talked about this here, but I'll re-iterate again...

We don't use Securom DRM.
We use a release control product which is made by the same team, but is a completely different product.

The constrast between the two couldn't be greater - it is night and day.

For those not aware, the hype/hysteria around 'Securom' is tied to Securom DRM, a separate product. This is typically used by many games for disc based drm and can be used for digital as well. This DRM installs several protected files and registry entries and as part of protecting itself and makes it very hard for a person to manually attempt to remove these - amongst other reasons (as i'm over-simplifying for brevity) that product is essentially what players are concerned about.

The release control software we use does none of this. As we've said before it simply does a check of the date against an online server when you run the game. If the street date has passed, it allows you to play and removes itself. We use this and only this, and not the Securom DRM.

Someone also pm'd me that apparently it leaves behind a couple library files in the temp directory, which are named securom or their signature when examined mentions securom and that this was mentioned on an external site claiming proof that we've snuck securom in.

I haven't been able to check these files personally yet, but as these are inert files sitting in the temp folder after removing itself, I still don't see the issue. Most developers (including ourselves) re-use libraries we create all the time. These are likely common utility files (e.g. contact a server) which do not make any sense to re-write from scratch when you have a perfectly usable generic library that already works.

The fact it leaves some inert files behind (while not great practice) is common with nearly every piece of software on windows. Again, the files are inert and you can simply delete them manually - sometimes you just can't remove everything as files may be in use as part of the removal step of the program itself (something is running to do the removal).

But to go from that to say that we've installed Securom DRM is like saying because DA2 uses common Microsoft libraries, we have clearly gone and snuck in Games for Windows Live now. That's the kind of 'jump' in assumptions we're talking about.

As for the site claiming this (again, I admit I haven't had the opportunity to check yet - I did a while back but just got 403 errors on the page), if that is what they are claiming then sadly they are doing a great disservice to their audience. Anyone that has ever actually used/installed SecuROM DRM and this, and is reasonably impartial in their assesment (ie. is not jumping to conclusion because they see the word 'securom' on the pop up) should be able to clearly tell the two things apart - and appreciate how far apart they actually are.

Incidentally, since the game is now unlocked world wide, everyone should have this auto-removed already anyway.

In any case, if you are still concerned about the files left behind in the temp folder, then either clear out your temp folder or let me know and I'll dig them up once back in the office and provide the file by file names so you can manually delete these. (Worth noting that if we were actually using Securom DRM, this would not be possible to do).

F.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 10:00 am

So... anyone actually enjoying the game? Lord knows I am.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 11:16 am

I uninstalled the game when it expected me to believe that the same cave I went through literally twenty times were unique locations.

David Gaider - Lead Writer of DA2 wrote:
Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 1299927206491
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 1:54 pm

Neo wrote:
I uninstalled the game when it expected me to believe that the same cave I went through literally twenty times were unique locations.

I won't pretend that doesn't smack of either laziness or a rush-job, but ME1 did the same thing. Yes, it was irritating there as well, but that alone is by no means a game killer.

Incidentally, while I'm a huge Bioware fanboy, I'm not blind to their failings, and I do have some misgivings about DA2 seven hours in; firstly, it's a bit boring in places. DA:O had a sense of urgency about its story, DA2 does not. Kirkwall, while large, looks very samey and is visually no match for the variety of DA:O's many differing environments. Don't get me wrong, DA2 is a better looking game than Origins, but everyhting looks the same. DA2 is also if anything too easy. I'm playing on Hard mode right off the bat, and I've only been wiped out twice. DA:O's hard mode was much tougher than this.

In any case, I've still got a long, long way to go. I'm still messing around with sidequests tryng to gather 50 sovereigns to gain access to the deep roads, so I'm still at a very early part of the game. Thus far though, I think DA:O is the more engrossing game, even if DA2 is technically superior. If my opinion of the game changes, for better or worse, I'll say so.
Back to top Go down
Kimarous
CP9 Agent
Kimarous

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 9:11 pm

SimianWonder wrote:
So... anyone actually enjoying the game? Lord knows I am.
I've really been enjoying this game, to the point that I'm almost doing a post-release media blockout because I'm sick of hearing people blowing minor gripes way out of proportion.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 9:19 pm

Yeah, I've stayed away from most of the bioware/ GF forums, because they're full of people moaning about silly little things. No, the game isn't perfect, and no, it's not a patch on ME2, but it's frightening how many people seem to be looking back at Origins with rose-tinted glasses and ignoring the many, many flaws that had as well.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 9:10 pm

I've just finished my first Mage play through, clocking in at around forty nine hours all in. That includes probably 95% of the side quests (I'm sure there were some that I missed, but I did all those I found), and the DLC Exiled Prince (though the achievements are cuurently glitched, meaning they don't unlock... grrr.)

I'll let others finish the game before I post my final thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Rockstar_Sinistar
Gary
Rockstar_Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 12:41 am

Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 6:14 am

Rockstar_Bahamut wrote:
http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/84747/bioware-employee-allegedly-caught-boosting-metacritic-scores/

http://kotaku.com/?_escaped_fragment_=5780870/ever-wonder-why-dragon-age-ii-came-out-so-soon#!5780870/ever-wonder-why-dragon-age-ii-came-out-so-soon

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6459941/1

I think I'm going to wait a little longer before I buy this....Actually, I'm just going to wait until this shit stops. >_> I still have DA:O, That's good enough for me.
If you don't like what Bioware and EA have made of the game, don't pay for it. I certainly didn't.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 10:36 pm

Neo wrote:
If you don't like what Bioware and EA have made of the game, don't pay for it. I certainly didn't.

That's only commendable if you don't get a pirate copy.

As for the other bits, I've swear I've never seen a game generate such a hateful response. No, it's not perfect, yes you can see where they cut corners, but it's still a good game. As good as Mass Effect 2? No, not even close, which I suspect is disappointing some. As good as Origins? That's a tougher one; in many areas, it make Origins look and feel like an archaic relic. In others, you pine for Origins' way of doing things. It actually reminds me a little of comparing Final Fantasy VII vs VIII; VIII was technically better, had far superior gameplay mechanics, yet VII had a far more engaging story and for that reason is still remembered with greater fondness, even if VIII was superior in almost every individual aspect. DA2 is superior to Origins in many ways, yet I don't love DA2 like I did Origins.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 12:47 am

Origins is an 8/10 game.
DA2 is a 6/10 at best.

I don't really see how the DA2 gameplay mechanics are better. Spamming your abilities as soon as they cool down shouldn't be enough to get through the game on hard but, aside from a couple of bosses, it is. Nightmare mode is even worse, the entire concept of strategic tanking and damage mitigation is scrapped in favour of kiting, resulting in every battle being a drawn out, boring, slugfest.

Mages got a huge nerf and warriors and rogues were buffed which, although necessary, has been implemented so poorly that now 2H warriors and ranged rogues are just as overpowered as the mage used to be.
The story is simply worse, Origins wasn't anything groundbreaking but at least it didn't compromise itself for the sake of trying to be 'epic'.
The dialogue wheel is a step down. Cheapening the dialogue in order the have a voiced protagonist simply isn't worth it, especially if the VA is going to be so bad. It has the same problem as Mass Effect where half the time what Hawke says is completely different to what the wheel tells you, not to mention how you're restricted to being sickeningly-polite, a cocky smartass or an asshole, leaving the player with very little freedom in how their character develops.
The quests, for the most part, aren't as good, with the majority of them being either set in rehashed areas or being weird 'reverse fetch quests' where you'll find an item and magically know where to find the person who lost it.

Unrelated to the actual game, the way Bioware has handled the post-release situation has been absolutely terrible. I understand it's all about damage control but the way people, even actual fans of the game, have been treated on the Bioware forums is unacceptable. If you're not heralding the game as the second coming of Christ the mods lock the thread or completely ignore it because "you're trolling" or "being negative". See https://imgur.com/a/Rxrun#qYFjy for many examples of this.

tl;dr I don't see how this is better than Origins in any way. You just can't follow up a highly polished game that you literally spent years on with this kind of rushed cash grab and expect it to be well received.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 7:34 pm

Neo wrote:
Origins is an 8/10 game.
DA2 is a 6/10 at best.

I'm splitting hairs, but I'd suggest DA2 was closer to a 7/10.

Quote :
I don't really see how the DA2 gameplay mechanics are better. Spamming your abilities as soon as they cool down shouldn't be enough to get through the game on hard but, aside from a couple of bosses, it is. Nightmare mode is even worse, the entire concept of strategic tanking and damage mitigation is scrapped in favour of kiting, resulting in every battle being a drawn out, boring, slugfest.

I found DA2s combat considerably more satisfying than Origins'. I played through DA2 on hard, and while it was certainly easier than Origins, fighting anything more than small mobs saw you wiped out if you didn't either set up Tactics in advance, or try and take control of each turn. A lot of people have accused DA2 of being a button masher, but that's only true on Casual and Normal, and even then the combat feels more solid than Origins', where you stood next to your opponent and hacked at each other till one of you fell over. I do wish they'd put Origins' "deathblows" in DA2 though. Watching the Warden run up an Ogre and stab its face off was cool.

Quote :
Mages got a huge nerf and warriors and rogues were buffed which, although necessary, has been implemented so poorly that now 2H warriors and ranged rogues are just as overpowered as the mage used to be.

2h warriors put out barely more DPS than a mage's regular attack, and both rogue and mages will likely suffer from low health. The balance still seems pretty good to me.

Quote :
The story is simply worse

Agreed, hence te FFVII comparison above.

Quote :
Unrelated to the actual game, the way Bioware has handled the post-release situation has been absolutely terrible. I understand it's all about damage control but the way people, even actual fans of the game, have been treated on the Bioware forums is unacceptable. If you're not heralding the game as the second coming of Christ the mods lock the thread or completely ignore it because "you're trolling" or "being negative".

Agreed, Bioware (and their EA overlords) have handled the PR terribly.

Quote :
tl;dr I don't see how this is better than Origins in any way. You just can't follow up a highly polished game that you literally spent years on with this kind of rushed cash grab and expect it to be well received.

"Origins" and "highly polished" don't belong in the same sentence! :p
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 4:55 am

Perhaps polished is the wrong word, I just meant that Origins had 7 years of development time put into it and I thought it showed. DA2 only has a couple of years, unless they started work on it before Origins released.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 9:41 pm

i played the demo of this, was pretty fun.

is the combat in the first similar as i quite like being able to switch characters and fight in real time. I'm talking about concole versions btw.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 9:44 pm

Combat in the first game is probably less fluid than the second on consoles but overall better imo.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 9:51 pm

Its got a point to playing multiple times right? I might pick up the ultimate edition.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age 2   Dragon Age 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dragon Age 2
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next