Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Empty
PostSubject: Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga   Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:31 am

Now before I begin the review, if any of you read this topic.

https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net/game-reviews-f13/baal-s-top-10-rpg-s-t7683.htm

Then you'll know that I put Digital Devil Saga as my top RPG of all time. Now I am going to explain why here for the first game. I know most of you don't care, but I'm gonna do it anyways. Sit back and enjoy.

Story: 10/10

Quote :
"Rend!Slaughter!Devour your enemies!There is no other way to survive.You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory"
In the Junkyard, rival Tribes fight an endless war; vying for supremacy and the right to ascend to Nirvana.
Everything changes when a blinding light interrupts a skirmish between
two Tribes. Serph, leader of the Embryon, awakens after the event to
find that his opponents have been violently slain. In a pool left
behind lies a young girl with black hair.
The people of the Junkyard soon discover the effects of the
mysterious light; Tribe members transform into demons, and feed an
insatiable hunger by devouring their enemies. Along with this new
"Atma" comes another strange power: emotion.
Soon after, the Karma
Temple issues a new law: "Devour the other Tribes and bring the
black-haired girl to Nirvana." Hostility only grows, as the Tribes
renew their efforts with increased hatred and zeal.
The Embryon struggle to defeat the opposition and protect Sera, the young girl, who may just hold the key to everything.

Okay, this is the basic description. What happens next becomes an orgy of plot twists, awesome characters, and villains that are just plain bastards. The story also leaves some stuff that is unanswered until the second game. Meaning you will find some stuff you'll go "Hey I remember that!" in the second game. The Main Character, Serph is a silent protagonist.

Gameplay: 10/10

Unlike most MegaTen games Digital Devil Saga does not allow for fusion. But otherwise, keeps the gameplay of a MegaTen game. Such as Press Turns, Weakness exploiting, the usual RPG stuff that Final Fantasy fails to do properly. In order to gain more skills you must obtain and level up Mantra's. This can be done by regluarly battling the opponent, or devouring the opponent. You can devour virtually anything in this game. Except for, of course Bosses. You have two forms, Demon and Human. The demon forms fight with the skills, and such. The humans fight using artillery. There nine different types of elemental magic: Fire (Agi), Ice (Bufu), Lightning (Zio), Earth (Tera), Force/Wind (Zan), Expel/Holy (Hama), Death (Mudo), and Almighty (Megido). If you exploit a weakness you get an extra half turn. If you pass your turn it becomes a half turn. If you transform/revert it takes up a full turn. You can choose between five different characters and switch during battle (Serph, Heat, Argilla, Gale, and Cielo). And trust me, this game is hard! It will not pull any punches. Your character's have weaknesses too, so the opponents will exploit them. And trust me when I say the optional bosses (Especially the Demi-Fiend) are enormous pains in the asses.

Sound: 10/10

Godly music, and voices. Lowenthal voices Serph (Although Serph never talks so this isn't a problem), Crispin Freeman voices Heat (FUCK YES!), Amanda Winn Lee voices Argilla, Steve Blum voices Gale (This game loves me too much), Dave Wittenburg voices Cielo (Widda Jamaican Accent, mon! ), and Wendee Lee voices Sera. The voice acting of this game is fantastic! You will not find a single voice that does not suit their character. Hell even Bob Pappenbrook (Colonel Volgin from MGS3) voices in this game!

Graphics: 10/10

Unique look is unique.

Replayability: 10/10

With all of the optional bosses, mantras, and skills to get it really is a long game.

Overall Score: 10/10

Last edited by DevilKingBaal on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga   Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:34 am

ah, good times.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga   Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:37 am

Updated.
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga   Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:39 am

this game lacks M. C. Duncan, -1/2 a point IMO.

/ever-so-slight sarcasm
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga   Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:40 am

Shinigami-sama wrote:

/ever-so-slight sarcasm

I'm not gonna punch you into last week, I'M GONNA PUNCH YOU INTO THE DAWN OF TIME!!!!!!

You do not insult this gem of a game.
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga   Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:42 am

DevilKingBaal wrote:
Shinigami-sama wrote:

/ever-so-slight sarcasm

I'm not gonna punch you into last week, I'M GONNA PUNCH YOU INTO THE DAWN OF TIME!!!!!!

not an insult, just a slight regret.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga   Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:43 am

Shinigami-sama wrote:
DevilKingBaal wrote:
Shinigami-sama wrote:

/ever-so-slight sarcasm

How do you regret a voice-acting choice that you didn't make?
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga   Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:45 am

DevilKingBaal wrote:
Shinigami-sama wrote:
DevilKingBaal wrote:
Shinigami-sama wrote:

/ever-so-slight sarcasm

ugh. you should know what i mean, i just wish that he was in there, because i wouldnt be sitting here talking about this game, i'd be off of the computer playing it right now
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga   Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:47 am

Shinigami-sama wrote:
DevilKingBaal wrote:
Shinigami-sama wrote:
DevilKingBaal wrote:
Shinigami-sama wrote:

/ever-so-slight sarcasm

ugh. you should know what i mean, i just wish that he was in there, because i wouldnt be sitting here talking about this game, i'd be off of the computer playing it right now

BUT YOU CAN'T. Because I have the game, and deeply regret trading in the second one. I'll have to order it online if I want to find another copy. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga   Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:50 am

im trying to track down a copy of the digital devil sagas, due to megaten online resparking my interest in the series
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga   Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 2:46 pm

Bob Pappenbrook!?!?!?!?!?
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga   Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 2:51 pm

Kaede wrote:
Bob Pappenbrook!?!?!?!?!?
DUN DUN DUN!
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga   Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 2:57 pm

"My underwear carries an electric volt of 10 000 volts. Let's see how you like this!"
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga   Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 2:57 pm

*body sweat2
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga   Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 3:26 pm

no it doesn't
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga   Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 4:02 pm

Bob Pappenbrook's does. At least in MGS3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga   Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baal reviews Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Page 1 of 1