Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pacific Rim

Go down 
+8
testtubebaby
Superbuu3
Neo
Talking Sock
SimianWonder
Skip
A_Nonny_Moose
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Skip
Australianus
Skip

Pacific Rim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 4:44 am

We'll probably be set up as that guy, but then we'll tear the crap out of the main bad guy and everyone else will be like: "Oh, I guess they are all that then. Fair enough."
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 6:24 pm

This was a lot of fun and the action was good. I liked the music too. It reminded me of the old Godzilla scores, which really added to monster vibe.

I only had two problems with it.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 10:33 pm

I heard that the Australian pilots have the worst fake accents in cinema history. True?
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 10:48 pm

They were obviously not Australian, but it wasn't terrible. The younger aussie pilot used to be in Eastenders.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 10:10 pm

The GLaDOS voice was barely featured too. I think they toned it town a bit, because it sounded a bit different in the movie than it did in the trailer.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 5:33 pm

I saw this during the week, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  The character-focused sections don't drag on overlong, and the fights themselves are jaw-dropping.  The Hong Kong battle was just about as exciting as anything I've seen on film, and while you could waste time pointing out the errors and flaws in both the story and the logic, it was nevertheless terrific entertainment.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 2:27 am

Pacific Fucking Rim
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Went back for a second helping today, this time in Imax 3D. Yes, there are some issues, some plot-induced stupidity, some rather poor lines of dialogue, yadda, yadda. It's still hugely entertaining though, delivering completely on the giant robot versus giant monster premise. Idris Elba is badass too. A pity that Charlie Hunnam doesn't have anything like the same on-screen presence.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 11:23 pm

I wish there was an IMAX nearby. Closest one is at least an hour away I think. Never been.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 8:33 am

I've only ever done Imax twice; once for Star Trek Into Darkness (though that was in Orlando, not locally) and wouldn't have bothered again if not for the fact that the film times were pretty terrible. My preferred non-Imax cinema is down to one showing at 10.30pm, which means it would finish around 01.00am. No good to me, as I need to be getting up for work around half six, and there were only three showings during the daytime at the other local cinema, all of which were Imax 3D.

Don't get me wrong, this is definitely the kind of film that should benefit from the extra screen size, but after ten minutes you simply stop noticing it. It's a bit like getting a new TV. When you first get a 50" HDTV it looks almost comical, it's so big. A month later you're used to it and just don't notice the effect any more.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 10:55 am

Was any of Pacific Rim shot for IMAX though?
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 11:16 am

No, it was all done in post-production.  Ditto the 3D, though that was undeniably very effective in places, giving real scale to the towering height of the Jaeger and the Kaiju.  

Incidentally, one of the reasons I'm not 100% sold on Imax, especially when viewing at home, is best demonstrated by The Dark Knight Rises.  Parts of the film were shot with Imax in mind, parts were not.  In practice this mean that scene-to-scene the screen is constantly changing size, one moment you've got no borders at all (which admittedly does look fantastic) and the next you're back to sizeable borders (around an inch on my 55" TV) at the top and bottom of the screen.  Had it stayed with one or the other for the duration, no one would have grumbled, but by changing so frequently it draws attention to itself.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 6:49 am

Loved this. Australian accents were atrocious though, not sure why they didn't get Hemsworth or something.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 12:28 pm

Neo wrote:
Loved this. Australian accents were atrocious though, not sure why they didn't get Hemsworth or something.
Welcome to our world Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 1:21 pm

The Australians already have the worst accents it's only fitting that they are portrayed as such in film.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 1:34 pm

Baal wrote:
The Australians already have the worst accents it's only fitting that they are portrayed as such in film.
Kiwis.

Not that their accent sounds annoying or anything, nor is it that grossly different from Aussie accents, but there's something about the New Zealand accent that makes one sound like an asshole. It's like the yin to Australia's more friendly sounding yang.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 1:45 pm

SOK wrote:
Baal wrote:
Kiwis.

Not that their accent sounds annoying or anything, nor is it that grossly different from Aussie accents, but there's something about the New Zealand accent that makes one sound like an asshole. It's like the yin to Australia's more friendly sounding yang.
I don't mind New Zealand accents, it's the South African ones that do that for me.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 1:58 pm

Skipio wrote:
SOK wrote:
Baal wrote:
Kiwis.

I don't mind New Zealand accents, it's the South African ones that do that for me.
It's because of all the predators and the guns. They gotta sound like a tougher, even more douchier version of New Zealand's to make it work.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 2:19 pm

South African accent is the one that grates me the most. I dunno if the ones I hear in films are accurate, but they are horrible.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 2:21 pm

No, they really are that awful.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 2:29 pm

Superbuu3 wrote:
South African accent is the one that grates me the most.  I dunno if the ones I hear in films are accurate, but they are horrible.
I wish I could remember.

I don't recall people sounding that hilarious, but it's been too long and I was too young.
Back to top Go down
testtubebaby
Skypiea Priest
testtubebaby

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 7:40 pm

watched this a couple of days ago & very impressed btw, great entertainment etc... only problem i had was the first fight in the sea, maybe thinking too much but what was the jager standing on to fight?? considering it came out of the sea it cant bed the sea bed
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 8:07 pm

You're definitely thinking about it too much. That's just a classic kaiju trope. Godzilla does it all the time.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Gypsy was told to wait within the "miracle mile", which is essentially the point where the sea shelf drops dramatically. I assumed that they were still within that mile thus enabling them both to stand. The water wasn't exactly ankle deep either, don't forget that both Knifehead and Gypsy are huge, the kaiju listed as over 300ft tall, Gyspy as 260ft, so the water could still have been a couple of hundred feet deep.
Back to top Go down
SavesTheDay
Deck Hand
SavesTheDay

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 11:52 pm

I was so pleasantly surprised with this one. The story was so meh but at least they tried a little.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pacific Rim   Pacific Rim - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pacific Rim
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next