Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First

Go down 
+4
brandon
Superbuu3
A_Nonny_Moose
Neo
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Who'll be the first to die?
Super Buu
X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Vote_lcap0%X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Anonymous Moose
X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Vote_lcap50%X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Vote_rcap
 50% [ 3 ]
DevilKing Baal
X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Vote_lcap17%X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
Victoria BasementDude
X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Vote_lcap17%X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
Olaf Kaede
X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Vote_lcap0%X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Essohkay Sora
X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Vote_lcap16%X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Vote_rcap
 16% [ 1 ]
Skippy Raztaz
 0% [ 0 ]
Betty Simian
 0% [ 0 ]
The Famed Kaio
 0% [ 0 ]
Bubba Neo
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Empty
PostSubject: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Note: I won't be detailing every mission in the game, nor everything I do at my base, simply because it'd take me about a hundred years to finish if I did. I'll attempt to cover all major events and the more exciting missions I get though. Also aside from the first four I fired all the troops the game gave me and used a cheat to give me enough money to hire droves of new soldiers so I could get the countries right. All the excess were also fired, don't judge me.

The Team:
Super Buu
Spoiler:
Anonymous Moose
Spoiler:
DevilKing Baal
Spoiler:
Victoria BasementDude
Spoiler:

Now that I have the cast of Gears of War on my side it's time to go set up my base and get them all killed purge some xeno scum from the planet.
Spoiler:

My base is in Asia which makes it cheaper for me to upgrade individual soldiers through training and foundry upgrades, whatever they are. I'll probably need them.

Three countries are attacked by alien terrorists at the same time, I choose to help Brazil because I want to go to Carnivale someday but also for the 4 Engineers I'll get as a reward if I succeed.

Mission 1
Quote :
The squad is dropped around a building stripped of all valuables, they quickly move to take cover inside but stop when four Sectoids appear.
Spoiler:
Baal takes advantage of his position along the windows and flanks the first alien, killing it in one attack.
Spoiler:
Meanwhile BD and Moose move up into the building, taking out the second sectoid on the way, and take cover behind some conviniently placed displays. Buu decides hiding behind a car for two turns isn't his style and charges into the fray to throw a grenade at one of the remaining two aliens, killing it instantly.
Spoiler:
The final sectoid, cornered and alone, returns fire and almost kills Buu, luckily for X-COM he survives to fight another day.
Spoiler:
Baal, upset at his squadmates near demise, decides to finish things the American way and, narrowly missing Moose, removes the sectoid and nearby wall from existence with his rocket launcher. All xenos have been killed and the squad lives to fight another day!
Spoiler:

On their return it's decided that BD and Buu deserve promotions for their gallant efforts on the field of battle, BD becomes a support and Buu is a crack sniper, pending his release from hospital in 9 days.

Using some of the alien corpses and gun parts I salvaged from the fight I start researching Alien Materials, hopefully my scientists will invent some upgraded armor so nobody ends up in a near death state again. I also produce medkits for BD to carry so he can cure poisons and help Buu not let the team down next time. Engineers start building a Workshop in my base to increase their ranks and reduce the costs of future production. Production starts on a satellite to monitor alien activity in other parts of the world.

Olaf Kaede joins X-COM.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Neo on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 3:20 pm

Satellites detect a UFO over Japan, I dispatch an interceptor jet and shoot it down.

Buu is still in recovery so Kaede joins the team.
Spoiler:

Mission 2
Quote :
The squad is dropped into the middle of an eerily quiet forest, the crashed UFO is nowhere in sight. They decide to head south west and sweep the area. Moose hears something move to the north so the squad takes cover - just in time as two sectoids emerge from the trees.
Spoiler:
Baal takes up a defensive position with his LMG and sprays bullets at the aliens as they approach but misses both of them, the first sectoid creates a psionic link to the other, boosting its abilities, and wounds BD who panics and returns fire to no avail.
Spoiler:
Moose takes the chance for a shot at the supporting sectoid and, despite the poor angle, manages to deal critical damage, severing the psionic link and killing both aliens.
Spoiler:
BD uses her medkit to heal up and after hearing another noise the team pushes north east, spotting two more sectoids that retreat out of view. The team takes cover and BD, after being shot at, attempts to charge down her assailant and kill it in one strike. Despite the assured victory she manages to miss half her shots and only reduce the xeno to half health.
Spoiler:
Almost certainly saving BD from imminent death, Baal flanks the sectoid and finishes it off with a critical shot from his LMG.
Spoiler:
Kaede, having been generally useless up to this point, chases the final sectoid to the north west and finishes it off with one attack. The squad breathes a collective sigh of relief, believing themselves to be safe, but suddenly a new enemy teleports onto the map and shoots BD for 3 damage. Moose lobs a grenade at the unknown assailant and blows a hole in the side of the UFO, opening a window for Baal to finish it off with concertrated fire.
Spoiler:
Having narrowly avoided casualties thanks to BD's healing, the teams salvages what technology they can find in the UFO and returns to base.

Baal is promoted and unlocks the Bullet Swarm ability, allowing him to prolong his turn even after firing at an enemy. Moose and Kaede are promoted to support. BD is hospitalised for 8 days.

I start production on a new interceptor jet based in North America and launch a satellite to monitor that area of the globe. X-COM scientists finish researching armor upgrades and design a nano-fiber vest that can be worn under armor to further increase protection from damage. It's a shame the extra padding makes the soldier unable to carry grenades or other secondary items but it's a nice bonus nonetheless.

Essohkay Sora and Skippy Raztaz join X-COM.
Spoiler:

Buu returns to active duty.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 3:31 pm

No idea what any of this means but I bet BD will die first.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 3:39 pm

Do you choose what classes they promote to? Because that worked out conveniently you got me back as your sniper seeing as everyone else was other stuff. Also I TOOK A BULLET FOR YOU ALL, I lead the squad from the front... Then promptly after a near death experience decide that i'd hide in the bushes like BD has trained me and get out of the way.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 4:04 pm

Nah you don't get to choose what classes people become, you get to pick their abilities when they level up within that class though. This plays a bit like Valkyria Chronicles if anyone was wondering, the main difference is the movement and you having a home base.

I receive an urgent message from the World Council, the aliens have planted a bomb in a Canadian commercial district and they need X-COM to defuse it, the squad is dispatched immediately.
Spoiler:

Mission 3
Quote :
The squad touches down outside a butchers shop and moves to disable the generators powering the bomb straight away. To their disappointment it only delays the explosion but with such a short period of time to work with any advantage will help.
Spoiler:
Team Raziels Domain continues to push forward, disabling more generators on the way, but out of nowhere Baal is ambushed by a Thin Man and two sectoids, he manages to take out one alien and stay alive through cover but is poisoned and hurt badly.
Spoiler:
Moose heals Baal then he and Buu head to the roof to cover the squads advance, Moose takes out the Thin Man and Buu takes out a patch of air next to a sectoid.
Sora blows a hole in a nearby wall with a grenade and kills the two remaining sectoids, then makes a dash for the bomb. After disabling it he, Moose and Baal take up defensive positions in the second building while Buu covers them from the opposite roof.
Spoiler:
Three thin men attack and almost kill Baal again but Buu headshots one and the other two are flanked by Moose and Sora. With the maple syrup factory saved X-COM can return to base relieved.

Moose is promoted and learns Covering Fire, allowing him to return fire on enemies that attack him or nearby allies. Baal is given the callsign "Kong" and learns to suppress enemies with sustained fire, reducing their accuracy and giving him free shots if they move. Sora is promoted to Assault and learns Run & Gun, unlocking a shotgun and allowing him to sprint and attack in the same turn.

Baal is hospitalised for 5 days. BD returns to fight again.

Research on Xeno Biology is complete and I'm tasked with capturing a live sectoid specimen, as such research of a stun gun adapted to alien physiology and containment cells are unlocked. Xeno Weaponry research is completed, allowing development of S.C.O.P.E., an accuracy enhancing device that can be equipped in secondary equipment slots.

Betty Simian, Bubba Neo and The Famed Kaio join X-COM.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Neo on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 4:15 pm

I'm getting screwed here. I should totally be the sniper.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 4:22 pm

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
I'm getting screwed here. I should totally be the sniper.
Haha, with your abliities you best be up front and right in the thick of things.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 6:45 pm

you got it for pc? the only reason i'm holding off on getting this is because some are experiencing constant freezing on ps3
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 2:25 am

Yeah, I don't care about multiplayer in a game like this and PC controls are usually better for strategy games anyway. The only time it's crashed for me was when I was dicking around with video capture and screenshot settings in dxtory.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 2:44 am

if i die, name my successor BD Justice
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 2:56 am

oh and i want to be a guy....
Back to top Go down
Rockstar_Sinistar
Gary
Rockstar_Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 5:05 am

...So, Is this Dragon Age with guns and less story elements or something?
Back to top Go down
http://thepit.forumotion.com/
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 5:20 am

It's nothing like Dragon Age. The closest thing I can think of, aside from the older X-COM games, is Valkyria Chronicles.

Anyways I'll be playing this sporadically as I'm also getting through Dishonored, Pirate Warriors and One Piece manga, those three posts were like 4 hours of playtime so I obviously won't do that every day.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 8:43 am

I am a fan of Skippy Raztaz's facial hair.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Skip wrote:
I am a fan of Skippy Raztaz's facial hair.
Yeah i noticed that. Moose is the spitting image of his guy except dressed more like a scarecrow.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 2:13 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:

i hope the aliens capture you alive and anal probe you
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 1:35 am

so, have you fought mutons yet?
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 1:54 am

Nah, until today I hadn't played since my last post in this topic thanks to reading 100 One Piece chapters in 24 hours but I literally just fought my first chrysalid. It actually wasn't that difficult although there was only the one and it was right near the start so it didn't have a chance to zombify many civvies. Will probably write stuff up and update this later.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 5:16 am

the mind control isn't bullshit in this like the original, is it?
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 5:28 am

I haven't fought any enemies that can mind control my soldiers, sectoids can buff each other with magic mind powers but considering you can just kill the one doing the buffing and kill two aliens with one plasma rifle it's not hard to deal with.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 6:11 am

high rank sectoids should be able to mind control. if you've encountered one i'm hoping they've cut the bull crap out where they can mind control even if they don't know where you are like in the original
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 6:21 am

I'll let you know, I was holding back from progressing the story until just now so I could get some stuff researched and built. I'm about to investigate a huge UFO I just shot down so it might have new enemy types.

EDIT: Overwatch really is broken when you use it right, I'm just leapfrogging my guys through the map with constant cover - any alien that shows itself gets shot at automatically.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 6:53 am

are their stats that effect overwatch?
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 7:07 am

The only thing that really makes a difference to it, aside from your damage obviously, is accuracy. You get a debuff for any overwatch attacks you make so if you don't have a very good chance to hit in the first place you probably won't do very well with it.

What I mean is overwatch is 15% less likely to hit than normal attacks, you don't get a permanent debuff.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 3:50 pm

i <3 Helena wrote:
A_Nonny_Moose wrote:

i hope the aliens capture you alive and anal probe you
I'm the only one of the original team who hasn't been in hospital yet. I'm not going down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First   X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

X-COM - Taking Bets on Who Dies First
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next