Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When did handball become an Olympic sport?

Go down 
+5
Kaede
Skip
Kaio
Neo
A_Nonny_Moose
9 posters
AuthorMessage
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

When did handball become an Olympic sport? Empty
PostSubject: When did handball become an Olympic sport?   When did handball become an Olympic sport? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 7:30 pm

In fact, what the fuck is handball?
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: When did handball become an Olympic sport?   When did handball become an Olympic sport? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 7:42 pm

The playing field is similar in size to futsal and it's played kinda like a combination of that and basketball in that you hold the ball in your hand, hence the name, dribble it when you move, can't move without dribbling and try to throw it into a set of goals protected by a goalie.
There's a semicircle around the goals that only the goalie is allowed inside, although if you jump, catch the ball and throw it before you land in the circle that's allowed.
The ball itself it smaller than a soccer ball so that you only need one hand to throw it accurately and with force.

That's pretty much all I remember from school, I played it for a semester when I was 13.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: When did handball become an Olympic sport?   When did handball become an Olympic sport? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 7:56 pm

Futsal?
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: When did handball become an Olympic sport?   When did handball become an Olympic sport? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 8:06 pm

Indoor soccer, smaller field and less players.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: When did handball become an Olympic sport?   When did handball become an Olympic sport? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 9:15 pm

Who thinks up these sports?
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: When did handball become an Olympic sport?   When did handball become an Olympic sport? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 9:58 pm

I watched women's gymnastics a couple days ago and I was appalled at how anti-feminist it was. Why do these women wear caked on make-up? Why do they wear tons of glitter? Why do they have to wear onepiece suits? Why do they have to do extremely silly dance routines?

It's ridiculous. Men don't have to dance and can wear gym shorts. And they don't have to prep like they're going on a night out. This is sports ffs.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: When did handball become an Olympic sport?   When did handball become an Olympic sport? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 10:21 pm

Same reason the women's beach volleyball uniforms are basically hotpants while the men wear shorts. I'm pretty sure points get deducted if the women are ugly.

Last edited by A_Nonny_Moose on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: When did handball become an Olympic sport?   When did handball become an Olympic sport? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 10:23 pm

They also weren't allowed to wear anything up top other than a bikini until a week ago, were they?
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: When did handball become an Olympic sport?   When did handball become an Olympic sport? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 10:27 pm

I don't recall ever seeing an Olympic sport where bikinis were a requirement.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: When did handball become an Olympic sport?   When did handball become an Olympic sport? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 10:44 pm

To be perfectly honest though, all that stuff is probably there just to raise interest in the women's sports. Otherwise it would just be the same as the men's, but slightly less impressive. They need sponsorships and endorsements to pay for all these events, and the men usually earn more because the men's sports draw a bigger crowd because the men's game is almost always a step above the women's game. The level of performance and athleticism is just higher. Even if stuff like shooting, the men usually do better.

Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: When did handball become an Olympic sport?   When did handball become an Olympic sport? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 8:07 am

Handball is great fun, don't knock it. The dribbling isn't the same as basketball though, it's every 3 steps isn't it? It's great because it's always really aggressive, because you get punished for playing passively by stalling or not making any effort to attack.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: When did handball become an Olympic sport?   When did handball become an Olympic sport? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 8:23 pm

Handball is big shit here, I'm surprised to see that you didn't know about it.
Back to top Go down
Zero
The Hero
Zero

PostSubject: Re: When did handball become an Olympic sport?   When did handball become an Olympic sport? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 11:37 pm

Lord Skip wrote:
Handball is great fun, don't knock it. The dribbling isn't the same as basketball though, it's every 3 steps isn't it? It's great because it's always really aggressive, because you get punished for playing passively by stalling or not making any effort to attack.

I think it's either 3 or 2 steps. I think you can also jump over into the goalie's territory just to shoot.
Back to top Go down
http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: When did handball become an Olympic sport?   When did handball become an Olympic sport? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 4:20 am

Zero wrote:
Lord Skip wrote:

I think it's either 3 or 2 steps. I think you can also jump over into the goalie's territory just to shoot.
Yeah Neo's already mentioned that.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: When did handball become an Olympic sport?   When did handball become an Olympic sport? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 7:20 am

i watched one and thought it was interesting.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: When did handball become an Olympic sport?   When did handball become an Olympic sport? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 12:19 pm

Kaede wrote:
Handball is big shit here, I'm surprised to see that you didn't know about it.
The english don't really pay attention to sports outside of england.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
PoweredBy42
First Mate
PoweredBy42

PostSubject: Re: When did handball become an Olympic sport?   When did handball become an Olympic sport? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 1:36 pm

So this Handball is a completely different thing from the game we probably all played in primary school or elementary school.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When did handball become an Olympic sport?   When did handball become an Olympic sport? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When did handball become an Olympic sport?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Raziel's Domain :: Entertainment :: Sports-
Jump to: