Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?

Go down 
+7
Skip
Ellis
Golden Boy
Neo
Savage
Kaio
Superbuu3
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Empty
PostSubject: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 9:25 pm

By any stretch of the imagination this is shallower then DBZ fighting games... Yeah i went there.

I played it for a bit looks like some characters have huge advantages over each other and as far as i can tell these final smash attacks are extremely luck based considering you pick them up I didn't seem to see a way that the more skilled fighter would actually get them and not get hit by a luck blast. All the characters seem to have like 10-15 moves tops, i'll play around properly more later but there doesn't seem to be enough things or tactics to use to make it deep.

It is a fairly fun game for a bit of a laugh though i'll give it that and the visuals are very nice considering Wii games aren't all that amazing to look at and this is pretty old now. This super subspace mode looks like its gonna be more effort then fun to get through to I probably should check out the unlocks later.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Because Nintendo fanboys have no decent taste or a sense of objectivity whatsoever. If a fighter is a Nintendo exclusive then by golly it must be the best fighter ever.

If you don't play SSB as a party game with your friends or have fun online then you're a loser.
Back to top Go down
Savage
Solar-Charged

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 10:03 pm

I haven't seen an overwhelming majority of guys IRL or otherwise that take Brawl seriously as a competitive fighter. I don't play SSB, but I at least know that SSBM is still going strong among the hardcore tourney community. Brawl is plagued with too much floatiness and random tripping to be considered a competitive fighter. And broken MetaKnight. >_>
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 10:24 pm

SSB is probably one of the best party games ever but I can't take anyone who plays it in tournaments seriously. It's unbalanced and broken, hell, everyone who plays SSBM 'professionally' deliberately glitches the game and calls it skill.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 11:44 pm

The biggest problem of looking at this as a party game is the owner of the game can't have much fun of this game if playing with casual mates as he will kick there ass unless he lets them win. The crap characters are visibly crap and aren't fun to be either. Also I couldn't work out clearly how to unlock sonic and snake and tose were about the only characters i even wanted to play as instead i just been completing classic mode with randoms hoping to unlock someone i like. Although link and samus are cool, I did find donkey kong pretty fun to play with to. Everyone else i ended up playing around to find there one effective move and spam it.

I do think this was an excellent purchase for me to get for my nephew though as its a siple game for him to play but i'm definitely going to have to get tatsunoko vs capcom for him at some point, and play an actual fighting game. This pretty much feels like monkey fight in monkey ball with lots of novelty added on, or glorified pinball.
Back to top Go down
Savage
Solar-Charged

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 12:44 am

Neo wrote:
SSB is probably one of the best party games ever but I can't take anyone who plays it in tournaments seriously. It's unbalanced and broken, hell, everyone who plays SSBM 'professionally' deliberately glitches the game and calls it skill.
They're far more skilled than the average player even without the few "glitches" that are employed, hence why they're pros.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 12:48 am

And yet they're still laughable compared to people who are good at proper fighting games. What does that say about SSB?
Back to top Go down
Savage
Solar-Charged

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 12:51 am

Nothing about the proportionate amount of professionalism, which was sorta my point.
Back to top Go down
Golden Boy
Style Icon
Golden Boy

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 12:53 am

Melee/Brawl suck as fighting games. I'd like to see how their "pros" would fare in a serious fighting game.
Back to top Go down
Savage
Solar-Charged

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 1:01 am

Melee/Brawl aren't technically fighting games to begin with.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 1:04 am

Savage∞ wrote:
Why is it considered nintendos main fighting franchise then?
The people playing it certainly think it is.
Back to top Go down
Savage
Solar-Charged

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 1:07 am

Superbuu3 wrote:
Savage∞ wrote:
SSB is a party game, first and foremost. I don't know or know of anyone that thinks of the franchise as a "fighter," because it so obviously isn't. If it's classified as a fighter it's done so out of convenience, like considering YGO a board game.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 1:28 am

Savage∞ wrote:
Superbuu3 wrote:
Savage∞ wrote:
SSB is a party game, first and foremost. I don't know or know of anyone that thinks of the franchise as a "fighter," because it so obviously isn't. If it's classified as a fighter it's done so out of convenience, like considering YGO a board game.
What the hell are you talking about?
Who calls yugioh a board game? And even I am aware of how much people think that ssb has deep cancels/juggles/combos etc. and i don't even care for the series.
Back to top Go down
Savage
Solar-Charged

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 1:44 am

Superbuu3 wrote:
What the hell are you talking about?
Who calls yugioh a board game? And even I am aware of how much people think that ssb has deep cancels/juggles/combos etc. and i don't even care for the series.
They pretty much do. Smash doesn't work the same way most traditional fighters do. In those games, you have a move or a block to counter a move, and not much else. What you lack is freedom of movement, a dimension added in Smash that creates a complexity that simply can't be computed in numbers. Think of all the jukes and fakes that exist in professional sports; these jukes and fakes are essentially what makes a player smart (the ability to predict or the ability to out-maneuver your opponent).

Even shielding (AKA blocking) in Smash is incredibly complex. For starters, you have two types of shield, light and full. Each type will give you a different result and will last a certain amount of time (5 seconds vs. 8 seconds). It's not just the shield that matters though, it's how you get out of it. The ability to jump cancel the shield added a huge amount of depth to the defensive tactics in Smash. When you block in any other fighter you almost always have to exit the block by attempting to attack/counter the opponent. In Smash you can simply wavedash out of the shield away from them, forgoing the actual fighting until the defender chooses to engage or the offender predicts the opponent correctly.

My point is, this is a chess vs. checkers argument. And if my SSF4, Guilty Gear, SC3, SSB, Melee and Brawl tournament experiences have taught me anything, it's that the elitism is undeserved because each of these games are complex in their own ways. And that SSF4 players tend to be the most elitist for whatever reason.
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 3:14 am

Superbuu3 wrote:
The biggest problem of looking at this as a party game is the owner of the game can't have much fun of this game if playing with casual mates as he will kick there ass unless he lets them win.

I got a N64 hooked up in our spare bedroom in my apartment and my roomates and I used to play Smash Bros. all the time. Even had a pretty fun drinking game to go with it. I kept winning 9/10 games and we just don't play it anymore cuz it causes arguments and violence.

Also the drinking rules if anyone cares:

Death = 1 drink
Suicide = Chug until respawn
Homerun bat = person homerun'd must chug till respawn
Hammer = Since hammers are gay as shit, if you grab one you can only control it with one hand while you chug a beer in your other one until hammer time stops

At the end of each game, winner gives out kills in drinks between the losers however they feel fit to. Loser picks next stage, stock is always 10. If it was just the 3 of us, the 4th comp player is at 9 difficulty. No healing items on.

It was a lot of fun but after about 10 rounds arguments are abound as none of us are the most graceful losers/winners.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 3:20 am

Hammer = Since hammers are gay as shit, if you grab one you can only control it with one hand while you chug a beer in your other one until hammer time stops

This would certainly be interesting to watch.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 3:21 am

Ellis wrote:

Doesn't respawning take like 2 seconds.
Back to top Go down
Savage
Solar-Charged

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 3:23 am

Quote :
Since hammers are gay as shit, if you grab one you can only control it with one hand while you chug a beer in your other one until hammer time stops
How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Stop-Hammer-Time
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 3:29 am

Kaio wrote:
Ellis wrote:

Doesn't respawning take like 2 seconds.

This is true but by doing that you are still drinking more than you would if you just normally died.
Back to top Go down
Haseoviawesome
Should of learned English
Haseoviawesome

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 2:29 pm

True, sometimes you'll get knocked out and fly into the background taking a longer time to respawn. With the Bat you blow up on the side.
Back to top Go down
L Ron Hubbard
Chalupa Batman MacArthur
L Ron Hubbard

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 2:52 am

I remember playing Smash Bros. at birthday parties with my cousins, so yeah, it's a party game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scientology.org
Savage
Solar-Charged

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 3:02 am

AHAHAHAHAHAHA
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 4:44 am

Superbuu3 wrote:
It's not.
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 6:09 pm

it isnt. it has a certain depth to it, but you have to trade your eternal soul to spend so long figuring every little minutae of the game out completely.

the same can be said of ANY game, but this plagues fighters the most. i consider brawl and arena battle game, rather than a straight-up fighter.
Back to top Go down
Savage
Solar-Charged

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 6:10 pm

Brawl doesn't really have any depth to it at all. Unless we're talking about Project M Brawl.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter?   How is brawl considered a serious tourney fighter? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1