Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PS3 Modchip confirmed?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PS3 Modchip confirmed? Empty
PostSubject: PS3 Modchip confirmed?   PS3 Modchip confirmed? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:04 pm

Well, it took almost four years but an Australian company, who I've personally dealt with before at their local store, is claiming to be in possession of a working PS3 modchip that allows full backups and homebrew to run on the current system firmware (3.41). I'm interested in seeing how this plays out but a Sony mega-lawsuit seems inevitable.

http://kotaku.com/5616952/working-playstation-3-modchip-is-not-a-hoax-australian-retailer-says
http://www.ozmodchips.com/ps-jailbreak-worlds-first-ps3-modchip-plug-and-play-p-68.html
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Modchip confirmed?   PS3 Modchip confirmed? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 1:56 pm

$170 thats crazy expensive for something that seems a bit suspect. I mean they showed infamous and considering that game is a digital game it sounds suspect. They are also charging 15% on cancelled orders. That sounds very dodgy to me.

I hope this isn't the case either way I like the fact that PS3 was anti piracy.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Modchip confirmed?   PS3 Modchip confirmed? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 2:28 pm

I suppose they can charge whatever the hell they want Buu, if they really do have the first modchip for the PS3 that is.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Modchip confirmed?   PS3 Modchip confirmed? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 2:33 pm

Skip wrote:
I suppose they can charge whatever the hell they want Buu, if they really do have the first modchip for the PS3 that is.

Thing is there's always a risk to the system. You will void your warranty. PS3 is an expensive console. Also imagine if you ended up bricking a BC one. If you do the math unless you got a helluva lot of time on your hands this actually does cost a lot. Blu'ray writers are hardly affordable, disc space is insane if your considering putting stuff on hard disk. I find this fairly redundant.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Modchip confirmed?   PS3 Modchip confirmed? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 2:37 pm

Superbuu3 wrote:
Skip wrote:

Thing is there's always a risk to the system. You will void your warranty. PS3 is an expensive console. Also imagine if you ended up bricking a BC one. If you do the math unless you got a helluva lot of time on your hands this actually does cost a lot. Blu'ray writers are hardly affordable, disc space is insane if your considering putting stuff on hard disk. I find this fairly redundant.
You're right but I'm more interested in this because of what could happen in the future, custom firmware and homebrew would be awesome on a system like the PS3. I'm amazed at what a PSP can do with mods and it's a bloody portable.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Modchip confirmed?   PS3 Modchip confirmed? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 2:39 pm

Yeah, there's always gonna be risks with this sort of thing.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Modchip confirmed?   PS3 Modchip confirmed? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 3:03 pm

Michael Atkinson wrote:
Superbuu3 wrote:
Skip wrote:

You're right but I'm more interested in this because of what could happen in the future, custom firmware and homebrew would be awesome on a system like the PS3. I'm amazed at what a PSP can do with mods and it's a bloody portable.

Oh for homebrew its great, although i'm not sure what people would want to do with it.

A lot of people will try to use this for piracy though and those people are idiots. The main thing that will stop mass piracy on PS3 is the fact its on Blu ray disc making life very difficult for people.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Modchip confirmed?   PS3 Modchip confirmed? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 3:05 pm

Say what you will about Sony, they know how to fuck over piracy.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Modchip confirmed?   PS3 Modchip confirmed? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Baal wrote:
Remove features?
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Modchip confirmed?   PS3 Modchip confirmed? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 3:11 pm

Michael Atkinson wrote:
Baal wrote:
Remove features?

I honestly doubt many people used Linux. Anyway there gameplay as a whole has been to avoid piracy. They probably clamped down on the linux just to stop those people who claimed to have hacked the PS3 like tha one guy who said he'd done it then retired.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PS3 Modchip confirmed?   PS3 Modchip confirmed? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PS3 Modchip confirmed?
Page 1 of 1