Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

EA Sports hates used game sales

Go down 
+3
Neo
Superbuu3
A_Nonny_Moose
7 posters
AuthorMessage
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

EA Sports hates used game sales Empty
PostSubject: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 8:37 pm

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1088634p1.html

EA Sports games will now come with a one-time-only code to enable the online elements of the game. If you buy a used game, you'll have to buy another code or you won't be able to play online.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 8:43 pm

another reason to hate EA
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 8:53 pm

I dunno. On the one hand, it's actually a decent method for developers to combat used game sales. All it takes away is the online. Depending on how much the code costs to buy, it might still be better to buy used anyway.

On the other hand, the only reason EA Sports has such a problem with used game sales is that they have like 5 or 6 franchises with yearly releases and they're the last people who need more money anyway.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:02 pm

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
I dunno. On the one hand, it's actually a decent method for developers to combat used game sales. All it takes away is the online. Depending on how much the code costs to buy, it might still be better to buy used anyway.

On the other hand, the only reason EA Sports has such a problem with used game sales is that they have like 5 or 6 franchises with yearly releases and they're the last people who need more money anyway.

i do see why they're doing this
i just highly suspect this will snowball and effect gaming in more wayss then we expect in the long run
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:23 am

They've done this for a while. New copies of Mass Effect 2 come with a 'Cerberus Network' code that entitles you to free DLC. It costs around $15 to buy access to this via the Bioware site.
Bad Company 2 comes with a 'VIP Code' that lets you download new maps for free.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:43 am

That's just DLC stuff though. This is completely cutting out the online part of the game.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:47 am

True, but it doesn't really bother me. I buy most of my games new and besides, no matter what EA does at the moment they can't really top Activision for douchebaggery.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:49 am

what does activision do?
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:54 am

fuck up MUA2 i think
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:00 am

Make Starcraft 2 in three parts, charge full game price for each.
$20 for 3 CoD maps, I don't play the game but that's still a bullshit price.
Bobby Kotick wants to charge fees for playing Activision games online.
Fire all employees that disagree.
Kill gaming.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:04 am

Activision basically wants to treat all it's games like EA Sports treats Madden.
Back to top Go down
Kimarous
CP9 Agent
Kimarous

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:06 am

I think the "free DLC for new copies" thing is a brilliant business move on their part. Restricting online, though? Won't that cripple their rental value?
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:10 am

You can get a 7 day free trial period.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:10 am

Kimarous wrote:
I think the "free DLC for new copies" thing is a brilliant business move on their part. Restricting online, though? Won't that cripple their rental value?

i'm sure tehy don't make that much money off rentals compared to game sales

plus will probably force more ppl to just take the leap and buy
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:13 am

Superbuu3 wrote:
Kimarous wrote:

i'm sure tehy don't make that much money off rentals compared to game sales

plus will probably force more ppl to just take the leap and buy

I dunno, my boss bought about 10 copies of FFXIII.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:15 am

I might end up buying more used games because of this actually. I tend not to buy used because I like knowing I'm paying into the developers pockets and not just the store's pockets.

But this might drive down used game prices, and if a game has a heavy online element, and I'm not sure if I want it, I can buy it used and check out the online. Then if I end up liking it, I can buy the code and still feel good that I'm helping out the devs. Depends how much the code costs of course. If it would end up costing more than buying the game new there wouldn't be any point.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:17 am

i kinda get your point used games is something i never was a fan of
Back to top Go down
Haseoviawesome
Should of learned English
Haseoviawesome

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:46 am

I see why, used sport games are super cheap.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:47 am

and it would put ppl off buying the new one
Back to top Go down
Zero
The Hero
Zero

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Madden games can drop to under 10 US dollars in 2 years. They get real cheap used but this is an Xbox move that EA is pulling.
Back to top Go down
http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EA Sports hates used game sales   EA Sports hates used game sales Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EA Sports hates used game sales
Page 1 of 1