Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

One Day One Piece

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

One Day One Piece Empty
PostSubject: One Day One Piece   One Day One Piece Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 5:13 pm

Someone on AP came with the brilliant idea to read a single OP chapter every day and to get caught up in two years. And I'm going to steal that idea.

From this day on, I'm going to read one chapter every day, starting with Romance Dawn, and going to give my opinion on it, best page, best quote etc.

Now it'd be fun if everyone joined in with me and started reading one chapter a day too. Because we're all a little nakama. =)

So, September 3: chapter 1: Romance Dawn.

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/1/01/
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

One Day One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Day One Piece   One Day One Piece Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 5:17 pm

When I finish Thriller Bark.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

One Day One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Day One Piece   One Day One Piece Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 5:19 pm

Jesus Christ it's one chapter a day.
Back to top Go down

One Day One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Day One Piece   One Day One Piece Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 5:46 pm

How about half a page every 4 days.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

One Day One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Day One Piece   One Day One Piece Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 5:50 pm

September 3, Romance Dawn

Best page: 53
Best quote:
Quote :
Listen up... You can pour your drinks on me, you can throw food at me... You can spit on me. I'll just laugh that stuff off. But... Good reason or not... Nobody hurts a friend of mine!

Really good chapter, perfect to start the series off.
It gives a general impression of Luffy and Shanks & co, and it was funny.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

One Day One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Day One Piece   One Day One Piece Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 5:59 pm

Thank you. I will post my review when I'm done with homework.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

One Day One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Day One Piece   One Day One Piece Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 7:19 pm

Chapter 1: Romance Dawn (September 3)

Summary

Right before he's killed Gold Roger, the pirate king, tells everyone of his treasure. Ten or so years later we meet young boy Monkey D. Luffy, who aspires to be a pirate, and Red Haired Shanks, captain of his own pirate crew. Luffy brags about stuff, stabs himself. Shanks makes fun of him. A bandit named Higuma comes in, makes a fuss, Shanks stays calm, is ridiculed. Higuma leaves, Luffy gets mad and eats a devil fruit. Luffy is now a rubber man and can't swim anymore. A while later Higuma returns and Luffy stands up for Shanks. Luffy is beaten by the bandits, but then Shanks returns and two of his men, Lucky Roux and Ben Beckman, take care of all fo them. Higuma escapes, kidnaps Luffy, throws him overboard, but then is eaten himself by a Sea King, a giant sea snake. Luffy is next, but Shanks appears and saves him, sacrificing his arm in the process. Later, Shanks departs finally and gives Luffy his hat. after which the latter declares he'll become Pirate King. Another ten or so years later, the pirate Luffy departs, defeats the Sea King with his Gum Gum Pistol and declares another time that he'll become the Pirate King.

Opinion

Great start to a great series. Luffy and Shanks are properly introduced, as well as Oda's typical gags and retarded Luffy moments.

Character of the chapter

A picture says more than a thousand words. Here's two:

Spoiler:

Best page

Can only be one:

Spoiler:

A moment so awesome that Toei cut it out of the anime.

Best panel

It's not Lucky Roux headshotting a bandit, it's not dearmed Shanks, it's not Luffy stabbity stab.

One Day One Piece Odop110

It's one of the most iconic moments in the entire series.

Best quote

Shanks/Ben wrote:
"Stop whining, landlubbers! You're not dealing with saints here. We're pirates! And we don't play by the rules!"

Though really, anything said by Shanks in this chapter is gold, from owning Luffy to schooling a bandit on guns. Bringing me to the next category:

NAKAMA moment

Shanks wrote:
"Listen up... You can pour your drinks on me, you can throw food at me... You can spit on me. I'll just laugh that stuff off. But... Good reason or not... Nobody hurts a friend of mine!"

In retrospect

Like I said earlier, this chapter set up the story of One Piece pretty well. Of note should be that Luffy states in this chapter that he wants 10 crew members, so we should be expecting two more Strawhats. Also, was Shanks scaring the Sea King done by the use of Ambition, a technique that wouldn't show up 500 chapters later, or was it just a stare of death? We'll never know.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

One Day One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Day One Piece   One Day One Piece Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 1:37 pm

Chapter 2: They Call Him Strawhat Luffy (September 4)

Summary

Chapter starts with Luffy ending up in a whirlpool. Scene switches to an island where an ugly as fuck pirate named Alvida is torturing the chore boy Koby. Koby is a pussy and has pink hair. He meets Luffy, who randomly appears out of a barrel. Meanwhile, there's a rumour going on about the dangerous bounty hunter Roronoa Zoro and that he's captured nearby on a marine base. Luffy and Koby talk, Luffy tells about his dream, calls Koby stupid, who is then inspired by Luffy's words and tells of his dream to become a marine. Alvida appears, Koby says she's ugly, Alvida attacks, Luffy jumps in and OHKO's Alvida. Luffy and Koby take a boat and leave. Luffy says he wants to recruit Zoro and the two set sail for the marine base where is held captive.

Opinion

Meh chapter. It introduces Koby and Alvida, who continue showing up throughout the series, but for the rest this chapter has nothing going for it. The expressions were kind of funny, I guess.

Oh, and I hate Koby.

Character of the chapter

Luffy. For being so inspiring that he can even make Koby to try and pursue his dreams.

Best page

Spoiler:

There really aren't any better ones. Even Alvida getting owned looked drab.

Best panel

One Day One Piece Odop210

dats ma boi

Best quote

Luffy wrote:
"You're kinda clumsy and dumb! And you're gutless too. You really are WORTHLESS!"

One quote that perfectly defines the failure that is Koby.

NAKAMA moment

IT HAS NONE.

In retrospect

The first chapter that mentions Zoro (and has his silhouette). Though he turns out to be not a fearful demon, you certainly shouldn't get on his bad side.

Also, the latest chapter, THE LATEST CHAPTER, has Koby running away AGAIN. Though this time it's with a good reason, I guess.

Alvida will end up becoming hot and be Buggy's crewmate.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

One Day One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Day One Piece   One Day One Piece Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 6:48 pm

Chapter 3: Introducing Pirate Hunter Zoro (September 5)

Summary

Luffy and Koby enter the marine town. They soon learn that both Zoro and captain Morgan are feared by everyone in town. They meet Zoro who is tied to a cross. A girl shows up who wants to give him food, but the son of Morgan, Helmeppo shows up and stamps on the rice balls because they're too sweet. Luffy shows up and talks to Zoro, who says he isn't going anywhere. The girl explains Zoro stood up for her and to protect her he's crucified for a month. Helmeppo wants to break the deal and execute Zoro, making Luffy mad. He punches Helmeppo and the chapter ends with him deciding that Zoro will be his first crewmate.

Opinion

A lot better than the previous chapter. Zoro's introducion was brilliant (tied to a cross for fuck's sake) and Helmeppo is just a villain you really hate. Koby isn't really annoying and Luffy punching Helmeppo is cool too.

Character of the chapter

Zoro. Was willing to starve for a month tied to a cross to save a little girl and ate a rice ball that was covered in mud and already pretty bad to begin with just to make the girl feel good.

Best page

Spoiler:

An awesome intro for sure.

Best panel

One Day One Piece Odop310

Bam.

Best quote

Not really many good quotes in this chapter, but I think this is the best one.

Luffy wrote:
"Koby, I've decided! Zoro is going to join my crew!"

NAKAMA moment

IT HAS NONE.

In retrospect

Unlike Koby, Helmeppo will become cool and not be a pussy.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

One Day One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Day One Piece   One Day One Piece Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 2:14 pm

Chapter 4: Marine captain "Axe Hand" Morgan (September 6)

Summary

Helmeppo promises Luffy will be executed. Morgan likes to talk about rank. Luffy goes back to Zoro and says that Zoro has to join his crew if Luffy brings back his sword. Zoro doesn't comply, but Luffy goes anyway. Helmeppo is punched by Morgan, who talks about rank. Morgan orders the execution of a little girl and slashes at a marine who doesn't comply. He has a lower rank. A statue for Morgan was built because he has rank. The statue gets destroyed once Luffy Gum Gum Rockets his way up though. Morgan gets mad, while in the meantime Koby tries to untie Zoro. He is shot though. The chapter ends with Luffy taking Helmeppo hostage and asking where Zoro's sword is.

Opinion

Not really much happens in this chapter. We meet Morgan, a corrupt marine who really seems to care about his rank. A little too much to be funny IMO. Best part of the chapter was Koby getting shot.

Character of the chapter

Luffy. Ignoring Zoro's opinion and already having decided that he's his next crew member, as well as barging in a marine base and destroying the statue. And casually apologising for it.

Best page

Spoiler:

Not only has Koby getting shot, but also an awesome Zoro death stare.

Best panel

One Day One Piece Odop410

For lack of better panel.

Best quote

Morgan wrote:
"I have rank."

Sums up his entire character.

NAKAMA moment

IT HAS NONE.

In retrospect

We are led to believe Zoro has one sword. Hmm...
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

One Day One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Day One Piece   One Day One Piece Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 2:49 pm

i can haz rank?
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

One Day One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Day One Piece   One Day One Piece Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:28 pm

Chapter 5: Pirate King and Greatest Swordsman (September 7)

Summary

Luffy starts using Helmeppo as a meatshield, while Koby tells Zoro the truth about Helmeppo's plans. Luffy finds the room that is supposed to hold Zoro's sword, but there are three of them. Koby and Zoro are surrounded my marines and Morgan and are to be immediately executed. Zoro says he can't die because he still has something to do. Cue flashback. Little Zoro has just lost his 2000th match to the daughter of the sensei, Kuina. Zoro gets mad and later challenges Kuina to a duel with real swords. Zoro loses again and says he hates it. Kuina says that she'll become weak soon because she's a woman. Zoro gets pissed and tells her that that doesn't mean anything and that he'll win from her because he's stronger, not because he's a guy. They make a promise that one of them will be the world's greatest swordsman. The next day Kuina dies by falling off the stairs though. Awww. Zoro promises he'll become strong in her place. End flashback. Luffy appears right before Zoro and Koby are executed and returns Zoro his swords. Zoro uses Santoryuu, the Three Sword Style and finally decided that he'll fight with Luffy.

Opinion

A great chapter. We finally learn Zoro's backstory, which is tragic of course, and he finally decides to become a pirate. Luffy bouncing back the bullets was good stuff too.

Character of the chapter

Zoro. He never gives up, not in wanting to beat Kuina, nor in achieving his goal to become the world's greatest swordsman.

Best page

Spoiler:

Great words by Zoro the man and the promise on which his entire motivation is based.

Best panel

One Day One Piece Odop510

More greatness by Zoro the man.

Best quote

Zoro wrote:
"Are you the offspring of the devil... forget it... rather than to just die here I'll become what you want... a pirate!!!"

CREWMEMBER GET

NAKAMA moment

IT HAS NONE.

In retrospect

Kuina dies by falling off the stairs. Quite a pitiful death, since we now know people can survive 4 ton bats to the head and getting nuked at point blank range. Poor Kuina.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

One Day One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Day One Piece   One Day One Piece Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 2:51 pm

Chapter 7: Friends (September 9)

Summary

Morgan and Helmeppo are defeated. The marines are happy. The trio eats at a restaurant, Luffy says he wants to go to the Grand Line, Koby throws a bitchfest. Luffy says they're friends and Koby is greatful. Marines ruin the party and say that, even though they're glad they saved the town, pirates aren't welcome. Luffy and Zoro leave, and Koby is left. Luffy starts taunting Koby to show they're not friends and the two start a brawl. Luffy is pulled away by Zoro and Koby asks to enter the marines. He is let in after shouting out how great he wants to become. Luffy and Zoro get ready to set sail when Koby shows up again. He thanks Luffy, salutes and is soon joined in by the marines. Luffy and Zoro start their journey towards the Grand Line.

Opinion

Koby getting punched was all this chapter needed to be great.

Character of the chapter

Luffy. He punched Koby.

Best page

Spoiler:

Owned.

Best panel

One Day One Piece Odop710

OWNED.

Best quote

Luffy wrote:
You've done it now!! Bastard! Bastard!

YEH.

NAKAMA moment

"We'll be parting ways soon, BUT WE'LL ALWAYS BE FRIENDS!"

In retrospect

lol see ya later Koby in a 100 chapters or so.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

One Day One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Day One Piece   One Day One Piece Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 2:13 pm

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/8/01/

Chapter 8: Introducing Nami (September 10)

Summary

Luffy and Zoro are hungry and need a navigator. Luffy sees a bird and tries to get it, but is taken away. Zoro sails after him and meets a bunch of pirates, belonging to the Buggy pirate crew. They tell that a girl stole their treasure. In a nearby town that girl has just stolen the map of the Grand Line and is being chased by pirates. Luffy lands nearby and the girl tells him to take care of the pirates. One pirate slaps Luffy's hat away, Luffy gets angry and stomps all three of them. The girl introduces herself as Nami, a thief, specialty pirates and wants to work with Luffy.

Opinion

More of a transitional chapter, but still a good one. We're of course introduced to Nami, which is always great too.

Character of the chapter

Nami. She stole a treasure and boat, was able to take care of three armed pirates and then used Luffy to take care of another three.

Best page

Spoiler:

Shit yea.

Best panel

One Day One Piece Odop810

lawl

Best quote

Luffy wrote:
DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH MY TREASURE.

YEH.

NAKAMA moment

NONE.

In retrospect

Nami's growth spurt hasn't set in yet...

Last edited by Kaio on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Maskull
Defending the Devil
Maskull

One Day One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Day One Piece   One Day One Piece Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 3:46 pm

doublepost is sexy.
Back to top Go down
Scratchin' Bastard

One Day One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Day One Piece   One Day One Piece Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 9:34 pm

One Day One Piece 070201_JoeBiden_vl.widec
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

One Day One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Day One Piece   One Day One Piece Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One Day One Piece
Page 1 of 1