Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Yay or nay to grey?

Go down 

Yay or Nay to Grey
Yay
Yay or nay to grey? Vote_lcap50%Yay or nay to grey? Vote_rcap
 50% [ 2 ]
Nay
Yay or nay to grey? Vote_lcap50%Yay or nay to grey? Vote_rcap
 50% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

AuthorMessage
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

Yay or nay to grey? Empty
PostSubject: Yay or nay to grey?   Yay or nay to grey? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 8:55 am

Do you prefer manga artists using grey in their art? I for one, despise it considering many artists today rape digital editing or just basic grey paint and make their art look shit, not to mention, the ones who use grey shitloads obviously use it to disguise their lack of detail. I think grey should only be used if you can use it effectively and clean, for example, in One Piece, Oda's editors(and himself too?) mixes it in backgrounds without it over shadowing the massive details produced in the work and knows when to add grey on characters such as when they're shitting their pants in fear n' such.

Then there's Akira Toriyama's style, he just did his manga black and white with an epic use of detail and near-perfect art(although sometime there's shitloads of errors like un-filled white areas that should be inked and such) without using grey. He only really used grey for certain bits like Buu's absorbing blob/body parts and even those, I assume are many-dotted screen tones that add to the illusion that it's grey. Although later on I think he moved on to grey shading in future one-shots(like Sandland's pages) and such but he didn't spam it in the backgrounds like a retard either, hell, most of the grey shading was very light.

I say nay overall since there's more raping of grey than a good mixture and balance of it in manga these days.
Back to top Go down

Yay or nay to grey?
Page 1 of 1