Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I'd like to watch this..

Go down 
+8
Zero
Talking Sock
Neo
PoweredBy42
Kaio
Skip
SimianWonder
Eevil-Psycho
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Skip
Australianus
Skip

I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 12:16 pm

SOK wrote:
Or to be precise, they are super-duper Japanophiles.
Indeed, much like Sora. Huehuhaahassoln['ofsgksld No we shouldn't joke like that.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 12:17 pm

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 6:33 pm

Eevil-Psycho wrote:
I think Luffy sounds a bit too much like a kid.. but I guess that's to accentuate his childlike behaviour in some way.

Don't forget Luffy is only seventeen, so sounding a little like an excitable kid isn't too far off the mark.
Back to top Go down
Casa
RULES OF NATURE
Casa

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 7:57 pm

Kaio wrote:
It's a BAD word. Definite weeaboo slang.

Yeah, the subs don't translate it to friend. I don't know why but it really annoys me.

It's just so... ugh.

See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTurg1PZEyg
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 11:34 pm

SimianWonder wrote:
Eevil-Psycho wrote:
I think Luffy sounds a bit too much like a kid.. but I guess that's to accentuate his childlike behaviour in some way.

Don't forget Luffy is only seventeen, so sounding a little like an excitable kid isn't too far off the mark.

One wonders if FUNimation would have gone in the direction that they did had 4Kids not dubbed One Piece first, though. 4Kids also used that approach with a somewhat similar voice. The difference being Clinkenbeard sounding a bit more raspier and not actually annoying. FUNi may have just tried to be a little consistent so kids and casual watchers didn't find a lot of the changes too jarring(hell, they kept "Zolo" for the old television airings to keep the consistency so it's not too farfetched).

It's tough to think of the possibilities that they could have gone with. Clinkenbeard has captured Luffy so perfectly and I wouldn't have it any other way at this point.

Back to top Go down
Casa
RULES OF NATURE
Casa

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 3:23 am

Why is every animal in this heartbreaking? First ShuShu, now Laboon.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 6:07 am

Don't worry, not all the animals are quite as tragic as those two.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 6:12 am

Laboon is a vaguely familiar name to me... It's been ages since I read this.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 6:24 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
Laboon is a vaguely familiar name to me... It's been ages since I read this.
That'd be because he's reasonably important.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 6:24 am

We're whalers on the Moon, we carry a harpoon. But there ain't no whales so we tell tall tales and sing our whaling tune.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 1:14 pm

I don't remember the strawhats ever going to the moon.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 1:37 pm

Laboon was...
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 1:43 pm

And in the 4kids version, he was an imaginary iceberg or something instead.
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 1:44 pm

SimianWonder wrote:
Eevil-Psycho wrote:

well, he sounds like 10 or something. but yeah, as i said, seeing as how he behaves most of the time, I get why it's like that. 18 episodes in and I got used to it by now anyways.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 2:08 pm

I think I remember that...
Back to top Go down
Casa
RULES OF NATURE
Casa

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 4:01 pm

I would like the VAs in the FUNi dub a lot more if they made Luffy less scratchy, Ussop less Krillin and Zoro less Sabat. I have no problems with the VAs themselves, just the voices they chose to use.

As it stands I am very happy with the sub and the manga getting me through the story.

(Nami is the best character.)
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Funi's Zoro sounds too much like Piccolo, likewise Usopp and Krillin. Sanji's not so bad, though every now and again he still sounds like Trunks.

Still, I have no real problem with the dub, but I've spent close to two hundred listening to the japanese VAs and I can't see myself going back through the anime again just to hear it spoken in english. Well, part of the anime anyway. The fact the dub covers only - what, around half? - of the actual show thus far is more than a touch off putting.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 4:39 pm

I think they sound just fine. Luffy takes getting used to and Sabat and Strait do add some touches to their voices to differ them from Piccolo and Krillin (though it doesn't help that Sabat in the past couple years has been using his natural voice for Piccolo as well).

And let's not forget that Luffy and Krillin sound almost exactly the same in Japanese as well.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Kaio wrote:
And let's not forget that Luffy and Krillin sound almost exactly the same in Japanese as well.

While that's true, for some reason it never smacks me in the face the way the Funi dub voices do, perhaps because Luffy and Krillin are tonally so different; Luffy is always so cheerful, even in that lovingly naive way, whilst Krillin is usually gibbering in fear or screaming for help. Oh, and I agree there's nothing wrong with the Funi voices in and of themselves, but it's very difficult to shake that feeling of familiarity every time they speak.
Back to top Go down
Zero
The Hero
Zero

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 6:55 am

Is there anything fundamentally wrong with Usopp and Krillen sounding virtually the same? What's more important is that they match the character, which Sonny Strait and Sabat do. Sabat's Piccolo from Z is a little different from Zoro, although in Z Kai they now sound a lot closer.

I have no problem with Luffy's raspy voice, although some lines were a little off when she first started voicing him. In a lot of ways, Colleen sounds more heartfelt and downright silly on the non-yelling scenes and silly scenes respectively. The yelling lines are debatable, I suppose, but I prefer the english. The Japanese voice is better at being apathetic when Luffy is supposed to be.
Back to top Go down
http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
Casa
RULES OF NATURE
Casa

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 8:28 am

Zero wrote:
Is there anything fundamentally wrong with Usopp and Krillen sounding virtually the same? What's more important is that they match the character, which Sonny Strait and Sabat do. Sabat's Piccolo from Z is a little different from Zoro, although in Z Kai they now sound a lot closer.

Mostly it's an opinion thing, but I do think that English Zoro and Ussop sound too old considering they're supposed to be what...18? They're all supposed to be in their mid to late teens right?

Like I said, I have no problems with the VAs themselves, if they'd chosen different voices I wouldn't have a problem. Even now it's not a big deal, I just prefer the Japanese cast.

Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 11:26 am

I prefer the Japanese cast too, though I'm genuinely not sure if it's just because I got used to their voices first or not. I think Luffy's voice is much better where as Sanji's is marginally better, and the rest are about the same.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 12:49 am

This is rock solid acting:

Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 10:22 am

They handled that scene very well, yes. Speaking of voices not fitting, I was looking on youtube yesterday and came across a clip of the funi dub of Luffy V Croc. Croc's dub voice is weird. I know it's the first time I'd heard it, but it instantly doesn't suit him.
Back to top Go down
Casa
RULES OF NATURE
Casa

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 1:34 am

The "all animals must have tragic pasts" running gag continues with Chopper.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to watch this..   I'd like to watch this.. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'd like to watch this..
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next