HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Dredd

Go down 
AuthorMessage
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't

PostSubject: Dredd   Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:45 pm

Yeah it's just called Dredd and not Judge Dredd for some reason. Looks shit, even compared to the old one. They bothered to come up with a narrative excuse for all the slow motion, which is weird.

Neo
CP9 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Dredd   Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:31 pm

I AM THE LAW
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dredd   Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:39 pm

YOU BETRAYED THE LAW

PostSubject: Re: Dredd   Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:43 pm

He doesn't even say "I am the law". He says "I'm the law". Rubbish.

LAAAAAAAAAAAW

Neo
CP9 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Dredd   Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:57 pm

ftfy
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't

PostSubject: Re: Dredd   Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:15 am

You know, maybe I was wrong about this film. I was bored at work and got to thinking, what if my first impression of "Wow, they actually wrote a slow-motion drug into the script to get in as many pointless slowmo shots as possible of things that really don't need to be shown in slow motion probably juust to arbitrarily bump up the running time of a hollow, shallow action movie".

But then I realised, maybe that's the point. Maybe it's a masterful satire of the modern action movie format. It's set in a world where people are addicted to slow motion. The drug is actually called slowmo. The main character's goal is to eradicate slow motion from the world. "If you want slow motion...", this film is saying, "Have it. We'll give you more than you can handle until you realise how pointless it is, and then when we take it away you'll be grateful".

Or the first thing, I haven't decided.

Superbuu3
Raziel

PostSubject: Re: Dredd   Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:25 am

We need more of the sly and schneider alliance.

Neo wrote:
Kids shouldn't be exposed to sonic fans, they might become one.

Spoiler:

My youtube channel, let's plays and trophy videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/superbuu3
Back to top Go down
http://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't

PostSubject: Re: Dredd   Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:10 pm

Just saw this.

Honestly, it was decent. Completely different from the old one, although the old one was always in the back of my mind. At the end when Dredd says "How do you plead?", I couldn't help but expect his next line to be "I knew you'd say that". And I was really disappointed when he didn't say it.

Felt much more like a comic book film though, in that it felt like a random, unimportant issue of a comic. The tendency with comic book films based on long running series is cram in as much of the lore and history as possible, but Dredd doesn't do that. They even partner him with a psychic and still don't take the opportunity to examine or develop his character at all. He's just a hardass cop and we know as much about him at the end of the film as we do at the beginning.

Although to be fair I have no idea whatsoever if the Dredd comics were like that. But compared to the first film with the clones and evil brother and all that jazz, this film's plot is incredibly simple. Dredd gets locked in a tower block by a gang and has to shoot his way out.

Karl Urban was okay as Dredd. His voice was good and his "I am the law" came across much better than it does in the trailer. The helmet never comes off, which made the scenes where he was fighting other Judges confusing, because you really couldn't tell who was who. Stubble and a frown seems to be part of the official uniform. The helmet does look too big for him in some scenes though.

The film's biggest problem is that it almost doesn't have any characters. It's not just Dredd that has no development. The villain is pretty dull too. Just a violent drug dealer. Anderson, the psychic rookie, is the only main character that seems to be effected by the events of the story.

SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder

PostSubject: Re: Dredd   Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:00 pm

Now off to watch this. Back in three!
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder

PostSubject: Re: Dredd   Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:46 pm

I really enjoyed that.

No, it's hardly going to be held up as an example of how to do an in depth character piece, but it did what it wanted to do and did it very well. It was violent, it didn't shy away from the graphic violence and general unpleasantness of Mega City One's law enforcement, it was well choreographed, the performances were strong, and Dredd was fucking badass.

Seriously, that once scene after Ma-Ma has levelled half a level with three chainguns, and Dredd walks out of the smoke, throws one of her underlings 80 stories to his death then walks back into the smoke without breaking stride...? Awesome.

My only real gripes would be A) once Dredd and Anderson were reunited after a brief separation, they get to, and take care of Ma-Ma very quickly. That just felt a little rushed to me, like a scene or two had perhaps been cut to shrink the (already rather short) running time. Second, the 3D was pretty pointless. The title sequence used it well, and the scenes were people were thrown from balconies looked good, but other than that it benefited little from the extra dimension. Really enjoyed the film though. An eight out of ten.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't

PostSubject: Re: Dredd   Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:21 pm

3D in general is pointless. I always stop noticing it after 5 minutes, which just makes it redundant.

Dr. Faust
Spartan

PostSubject: Re: Dredd   Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:48 pm

LAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW.....

-__-'
I'm out of the loop

Going to check this out when I can, I like the old Stallone movie
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder

PostSubject: Re: Dredd   Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:00 pm

I still rate 3D as an effective method of further drawing you in. The problem is that not many people seem able - or perhaps, willing? - to use it to anything like its full potential.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps

PostSubject: Re: Dredd   Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:46 am

I think able is the right word. Although I heard that Werner Herzog's cave movie actually used 3D well.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Faust
Spartan

PostSubject: Re: Dredd   Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:06 pm

It's a good film, obviously stronger execution than Stallone's
Stallone films had a more interesting plot
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't

PostSubject: Re: Dredd   Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:34 pm

I like this film more every time I watch it. So much so that I decided to start reading the comics. Downloaded the Case Files and just started from the beginning.

Even though I've only read the very, very early stuff, I can easily see why Dredd fans would hate the Stallone version and love this one. This film absolutely nails the look and character of Dredd. If it weren't for the big combat vest and modern look of the helmet, Dredd would look exactly like he does in the early comics.

Admittedly they really toned down Mega City 1, because it's a really crazy place in the comics, but I think that might have been for budget reasons more than anything else. A few liberties taken with the material is fine when so much else is done right.

Although having read some of Dredd now, I'll disappointed if this gets a sequel and it's not set on the moon, and Dredd doesn't have a flying bike and a cape. And a robot butler with a speech impediment that causes him to pronounce "Dredd" as "Dwedd". Hopefully he'll fight King Kong at some point too.

Dr. Faust
Spartan

PostSubject: Re: Dredd   Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:01 pm

Where did you find the comics? I can't find them
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't

PostSubject: Re: Dredd   Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:06 pm

The Complete Case Files are the best thing out there as far as I can tell. Pretty sure they're on the big digital book stores. I pirated them though, because I just wanted to check them out for fun. The Case Files are pretty much every Dredd strip ever printed in chronological order. There's already around 20 volumes and that's only half of them I heard, plus the strip is still going today. I could only find the first 10 or so.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dredd   

Back to top Go down

Dredd
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Raziel's Domain :: Entertainment :: Movies-
Jump to: