Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual

Go down 
+11
A_Nonny_Moose
Old School
Talking Sock
Golden Boy
Skip
brandon
Casa
Eevil-Psycho
Kaio
Superbuu3
Neo
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Old School
A Pretty Fly Guy
Old School

Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 12:24 am

Superbuu3 wrote:
Old School wrote:
Kaio wrote:
Your opinion is shit. Stop trolling us with it.

Limit yourself to posting dating tips and life stories.

But my opinions are awesome possum.
U have to berieve meh.
I'm not trolling.

Just Impolite(By Plushgun)...
This sounds like someone trying to be a douche at the same time as taking the piss out of asians. Cut it out.

It sort of was...
But fine. I'll be a good boy.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 7:13 am

Can't believe I forgot to mention 30 Rock. I can't believe no one else mentioned it either.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 8:27 pm

Goddamn it update 30 Rock into the list faggot.

Oh, and add Peep Show, it's great. It's the same sort of cringe humour as Inbetweeners only it's much, much better.

Also we might benefit from having a subcat under comedy for sketch shows:

Sketch Comedy:

• The Armstrong and Miller Show
  • That Mitchell and Webb Look
  • A Bit of Fry and Laurie
  • Monty Python's Flying Circus
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 11:29 pm

The Armstrong and Miller Show is mediocre at best. Big Train and The Fast Show are far more worthy of being on that list.
Back to top Go down
Casa
RULES OF NATURE
Casa

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 12:20 am

there's no such thing as a good sketch comedy because there's always more shit sketches than there are funny ones

That said, Armstrong and Miller at least has these two sketches which are fantastic:

(plus Armstrong hosts Pointless which is a really good game show)
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 12:40 am

Casa knows what's up.

Sketch shows are very hit and miss, but I think the ones I've mentioned are at least good more than they are bad.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 12:45 am

Mitchell and Webb are good, although I haven't seen the later series which I hear are terrible. The League of Gentlemen is probably a good sketch show, if you count it as a sketch show.
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 12:49 am

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
Mitchell and Webb are good, although I haven't seen the later series which I hear are terrible. The League of Gentlemen is probably a good sketch show, if you count it as a sketch show.
The latter two aren't as good but they have their moments.
Back to top Go down
Casa
RULES OF NATURE
Casa

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 4:35 am

Comedies

Party Down
Episodes
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 11:27 am

Actually how good is the Vampire Diaries? I asked a girl at work who watches it, also mentioned I like Whedon's work, and she said it might be "too girly".

Also I updated the list but if anything Raz likes turns out to be filth I'm not responsible.
Back to top Go down
Kaio
Internet Celebrity
Kaio

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 11:47 am

The first six episodes are Twilight level of awful. Then it really starts having fun with its outrageous storytelling and from then on all kinds of WTF (in a good way) happen. Season 2 starts introducing the really great characters and at that point the extreme violence also starts showing up with more and more frequency.

Also everyone is hot.

I don't think it's girly at all. Yes, it has a love triangle, but so did Buffy.
Back to top Go down
Syntek
Deck Hand
Syntek

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Dexter
The Big Bang Theory
Wilfred
Futurama
Back to top Go down
Syntek
Deck Hand
Syntek

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 4:53 pm

Oh yeah kind of old but some of the early episodes of Absolutely Fabulous are really funny.

I don't care if anyone thinks it's kind of girly or not. When they went to Marrakech and that one chick sells the other ladys daughter I about died laughing.

Oh and I saw Red Dwarf on the list. I was lucky enough to see some of that back in the 90's. I loved that show. Does anyone know if that has been released on Blu-Ray? I'd love to get the whole run.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 5:42 pm

Syntek wrote:
The Big Bang Theory
I said no objectively shitty shows.
Back to top Go down
Syntek
Deck Hand
Syntek

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 7:03 pm

What is wrong with The Big Bang Theory? I don’t care if someone likes it or not but I’m curious.

The show is basically a live action version of what are at times nearly identical topics that occur here. So based off the common interest of the crowd here what’s not to like.

Not picking on you or anything but to call something “Objectively Shitty”…

…Well to look at something objectively means to look at it from a practical, logical perspective free of emotional or psychological responses.

Shitty in this context, meaning not good adds emotion.

Therefore referring to something as “Objectively Shitty” would be demonstrably fallacious.

It would be more correct to say you feel the show is just shitty, or you don’t like it. I personally love the show. I find it funny, well written, and loaded with relatable content.

It is comedy though which is very subjective. So I can see someone not liking it just because they don’t find it funny. Case in point, I find “Friends” to be intolerable yet it is listed here. To each their own, and I’m fine with that.

Is the TBBT just one of those things that fanboys like to bitch about because it’s for fanboys and it caters to them, so obviously they must complain about it, yet watch it over and over again.

Fanboys are big fans of bitching about Fanboy shit.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Big Bang Theory is to 'nerds' as blackface is to black people. The 'jokes' usually rely on the viewer not understanding what is being said, for example "I'm playing super mario on a poorly coded nintendo 64 emulator", and generally make a mockery of certain stereotypes that need to be forgotten by society altogether. When they're not directly making fun of things their audience doesn't understand it's bottom of the barrel catch phrases (bazinga!) or jokes that center around the blonde girl being stupid, further perpetuating totally different stereotypes.

On top of all of that the editors abuse laugh tracks, which have been proven to incite laughter even when things are not, or not very, funny at all. See this video for an example of how differently the show comes across without it. Not funny at all, is it? A comedy that needs a laugh track to make people laugh is a bad comedy. Objectively.
Back to top Go down
Syntek
Deck Hand
Syntek

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 8:24 pm

I think we're watching a different show.

I don't see the mockery point of view at all.

I have a number of friends, and colleagues in various fields of engineering (Including my soon to be brother and recently departed father in law), and sciences that all embrace this show because of the way the characters are portrayed.

They all find it incredibly amusing how much they are like the characters in the show and how much they can relate to them. Or how many of their friends are like the characters.

As far as other jokes being “Bottom of the Barrel” catch phrases go, you roll around a giant ball pit and pop up saying “Bazinga” without laughing. It would be, legen wait for it…

…Dary!

And a number of comedies on your list have used laugh tracks. Not to mention those that tend to rely on toilet humor (Archer I like that show too)

I’m not trying to start an argument btw, I was just curious as to why you don’t like TBBT. Thanks for the response. But since we don’t agree on liking this show, I would say you aren’t sponge worthy if I were a woman.

But I’m not a woman, so I'll simply say “NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!”
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 8:12 am

Watch all the other comedy shows on the list and still tell us Big Bang Theory is any good.

And it wasn't the use of a laugh track that Neo was saying made it a bad show, it was the abuse of a laugh track.
Back to top Go down
Syntek
Deck Hand
Syntek

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 3:03 pm

Perhaps there is a bit of a cultural divide from where we are located on the globe. For example Buffy, Angel, Doll House and The Vampire Diaries over here have the stigma of being total chick shows. I’ve never watched any of them based on that assumption, well that and there is certainly a lack of time on my end.

I have watched the bulk of the shows on that list and I do still feel that TBBT is as good if not better than a fair amount of the shows listed there. This is of course is my opinion. I feel that I’m entitled to one. Nobody has to agree with it. It doesn’t sway my opinion of the show.

And I find that clip amusing even without the laughter because I’m familiar with the characters of the show up to that point. If you are not familiar with them, then with or without the laughs that clip that was posted won’t make as much sense to anyone.

Seinfeld, Frasier, and Friends definitely relied heavily on laugh tracks in conjunction with the live audiences in the same manor TBBT does. Watch those without the laugh tracks.

In fact watch a lot of the Dramas on the list without the music tracks that play, and you’ll find that they’ll loose a lot of their impact. Audible cues are used and very much abused in order to add more emotion at the directors/producer/whomever’s discretion.

I’m not saying he’s or anyone wrong for not liking the show. I’m not trolling the topic or anything. Just having a conversation. And I was really only curious as to why there was a dislike of the show. Mainly due to how much of the dialog within it is so similar to the discussions, topics, and what not that occur within these boards.

I figured something like that would be embraced.

I did thank him for his response, I find the reasoning different than my own but I’m not mad at the guy for having an opinion.

And maybe I was picking on Neo a little with pointing out that the term “Objectively Shitty” makes no sense, so I apologize for that, my intent was not to offend.

It’s not like I’m demanding that this show be put on your list or anything either, the original post asked for suggestions I gave some.

We could always decide if the show is list worthy with a game of Rock, Paper, Sccissors, Lizard, Spock.

Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 3:22 pm

I really don't think it's got anything to do with a cultural divide, I don't think anyone else here likes TBBT, which surely if it wasn't objectively bad wouldn't be the case.

Also I don't see how anyone can say Buffy and Angel are girly. Is it because there's an element of romance? That's just dumb.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 3:50 pm

I could barely contain my laughter watching this, it was just that funny.

It's also hilarious with the laugh track.

Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 4:14 pm

@Syntek: You're stating that you don't watch a show because its a 'chick show' and then you are talking about being entitled to your own opinion. Doesn't really sound like you can form your own, if you're scared of the backlash of others around you for you know, watching a show a woman might watch.

Frasier is a decent comparison to TBBT and I agree that both shows appear funny. Here's a test for a good comedy, do you ever repeat the jokes and find them hilarious. Simpsons/scrubs/friends/seinfeld I have done this with and always get a laugh out of people even those who haven't seen the shows. I don't think that could be said about either of those shows.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 4:19 pm

Superbuu3 wrote:
@Syntek: You're stating that you don't watch a show because its a 'chick show' and then you are talking about being entitled to your own opinion. Doesn't really sound like you can form your own, if you're scared of the backlash of others around you for you know, watching a show a woman might watch.

Frasier is a decent comparison to TBBT and I agree that both shows appear funny. Here's a test for a good comedy, do you ever repeat the jokes and find them hilarious. Simpsons/scrubs/friends/seinfeld I have done this with and always get a laugh out of people even those who haven't seen the shows. I don't think that could be said about either of those shows.
That's a good test for certain types of comedy, but for some it doesn't work. Peep Show, for example, is one that you can't just take a joke from, you need the context and the situation, because it's largely situational humour.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Superbuu3 wrote:
Frasier is a decent comparison to TBBT and I agree that both shows appear funny.

Frasier's actually good, though, since it's geniunely clever, funny, and doesn't solely rely on the fact that Frasier and Niles are pretentious snobs.
Back to top Go down
Eevil-Psycho
Captain Spaulding
Eevil-Psycho

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 4:32 pm

people around here generally seem to like TBBT too..

not me though.

if I'd watch it, it's cause I think Kaley Cuoco is super fucking hot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual   Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Official RD List of Shows You Need to Watch That Will Help You Not be a Boring Individual
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next