Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)

Go down 
+8
Skip
brandon
SimianWonder
Neo
Dr. Chocolate
Superbuu3
Old School
A_Nonny_Moose
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
brandon
Basement Butterfly

Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 1:47 am

i don't even have a monitor anymore and my OS is over ten years old
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 1:52 am

BD you should get a PC.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 1:53 am

but i spend all my entertainment money on my ps3
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 2:03 am

Girls think PC gamers are hot.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 5:32 am

He looks like an owl.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 1:18 pm

I pre-ordered it with express shipping (1-2 days). It shipped the 16th, so it's coming tomorrow. Amazon should stop offering this in Norway. Seriously.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 2:08 pm

Arrived today, with obligatory 4GB install. Oh well...
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 6:28 pm

Cool, when I started the game I found out I unlocked something for having Just Cause 2 registered to my Steam account. Probably get the same thing if you have a save file on your console.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 8:38 pm

I did, and now it's just Sleeping Dogs with Rico. Love it!

I've played this a couple of hours, and it's a blast so far. Driving is great fun (leading both wheelie and clean driving on friends list, woohoo), fighting is visceral, and fucking Emma Stone is in there.

Neo, have you found out if there are criteriae for action hijacking, because I could only do it once. I haven't officially learned it, though, so I'll wait and see a bit. Also, do you know if you have to be at full speed to get clean driving?
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 11:58 pm

I literally haven't played it at all yet, the download finished at almost 5 in the morning so it just started it up to finish the install. I'll let you know when I do though.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 7:05 pm

The demo was really short but it showed off most of the game's selling points (apart from the open world). The fighting took some getting used, because it's not nearly as versatile as I was expecting. I can see why it's compared to the Arkham games but it feels very different. The fighting is very rooted in comparison. Wei doesn't leap across the room to attack people like Batman does and there was no dodge/evade that I could find. You're only defense is countering and if you want to hit someone you have to make sure you're close enough.

The fighting just doesn't have the same flow or ryhthm that the Arkham games have either. It feels quite rough, there's not a great sense of timing. Grappling is fun though and the use of environment is nice.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 4:32 am

From videos it looked kinda like a dumbed down version of Yakuza's combat.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 6:37 am

It's way different from both Yakuza and Batman. Maybe not as different from Yakuza, but it feels in no way the same. I personally like it, especially as you get more abilities. And chain 28 flying jump kicks.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 3:29 pm

Kaede wrote:
It's way different from both Yakuza and Batman. Maybe not as different from Yakuza, but it feels in no way the same. I personally like it, especially as you get more abilities. And chain 28 flying jump kicks.
You got something you wanna tell me?
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 3:39 pm

I liked the gunplay as well. You're encouraged to keep moving so it doesn't feel like a cover-shooter, and the vault-disarm is badass.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 2:16 pm

Tried the demo and was a little underwhelmed. Frame rate was pretty unsettled, seeming to dip into teens in places, and even my new TV's 800hz mode cannot smooth out a choppy frame rate when the rate is that low.

Combat was fun, but as has already been said it felt like Batman's minus the effortless fluidity, and the shooting made a nice change to GTA/ SR's low on system. Biggest gripe though was the demo only offering chase / melee scenarios, no chance to try the open world, no chance to use the intriguing cop/triad levelling system... I know it's only a demo, but it felt like they've built this wonderful house and refused to show anything other than two rooms of it.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 2:29 pm

I think the demo was just trying to show off what makes this different from other GTA-style games, and it did that fine. Although it should have included a car chase as well.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 8:40 pm

I rented it today - don't have the cash to buy after blowing money on my TV but a fiver for five nights I can deal with. Anyway, yeah the graphics aren't great - textures are quite low resolution, there's some noticable pop in and the screen tearing is pretty bad as well. Still, it's at least fun to play. The open city is a little uninvolving thus far, but that may well be because I'm still a low level grunt in a gang of nobodies. Combat is a little imprecise and feels a little slow, Wei's attacks leaving him vulnerable, especially when he's up against multiple opponents, which is most of the time. Still, some of the moves are satisfyingly brutal and the storyline is intriguing if a tad cliched.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 9:53 pm

I like the variety in the enemy types; essentially there are three types of opponent, and they all need different strategies to take down. Of course, they're all mixed in with each other, so you need to be fairly sharp to identify which is which during melee combat, otherwise they'll beat you down in only two or three hits.

I've just done the first optional Cop missions, featuring you bringing down a drugs ring, and it's a multi faceted mission that has taken around an hour all in with some impressive variety, switching between a car chase, one particularly vicious fight, and some old fashioned espionage.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 11:19 am

I've hit a couple of snags, and they're a touch annoying. Periodically the game will freeze during loading screens, which corrupts the last save point. Annoying, but I'm manually saving every fifteen minutes or so, thus data loss is at a minimum. Secondly, twice now I've completed a mission, gone back to my safe house to sleep and when I wake up, the mission is reset, Ive got no reward for doing it (though my Cop/triad meters are unchanged) and the quest marker is fully active again. Sandbox games will always have a few gremlins, but this is all inside about five hours of play which begs the question about how well it was playtested.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 pm

I've been playing for hours on end and never run into any of those problems. 360 or PS3?
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 12:31 pm

PS3.

Another issue is that the Sleeping Dogs servers seem to go down every three minutes. i keep getting taunted with how badly I'm doing on certain things (seriously, how in the hell did you manage to do clean driving for two and a half minutes... I can barely get ten seconds!) and when I go into social log, it works for a few seconds then says "unavailable".
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 12:43 pm

get the peecee version
Back to top Go down
Skip
Australianus
Skip

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
get the peecee version
It's political correctness gone mad!
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 1:41 pm

SimianWonder wrote:
PS3.

Another issue is that the Sleeping Dogs servers seem to go down every three minutes. i keep getting taunted with how badly I'm doing on certain things (seriously, how in the hell did you manage to do clean driving for two and a half minutes... I can barely get ten seconds!) and when I go into social log, it works for a few seconds then says "unavailable".

To tell you the truth, I just drove very fast, but very skillfully on the highway, but there is a trick. There's an eternal roundabout far north in Central where you can just drive around in a circle as long as you wish, and there will be no other cars. A Class B is probably best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)   Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next