Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.

Go down 
+2
Neo
Baal
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Empty
PostSubject: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 1:50 am

Alright, so I figured that since I liked DR2 so much and the story was pretty good too that I'd decide to actually write a playthrough and discuss what is different about the game as I play through it.

Okay, first of all you play as Frank West who is washed up from taking his fame for granted in the Willamette case and uses Terror is Reality to try and get back on top and do what he does best. He ends up being a special guest for TiR and his game pretty much consists of killing zombies in a wrestling ring that has corners which are set up to kill the shit out of some zombies. Like the DR2's beginning sequence, it sets up the other playable mode before the actual gameplay. Although, whereas Chuck had TIR games, Frank has sandbox mode which are basically a collection of challenges that are neither story related or hampered by any survivor searching quests, just outright zombie-killing fun.

Secondly, the story has a different twist to it all. Instead of the zombie outbreak being pinned on the main character, it's been pinned on CURE (The Zombie rights activists from the original DR2) and you have to help Stacey Forscythe clear up its name when there seems to be something wrong about it.

Third, when you play co-op you will not be playing as a second Frank West (Like how it was in DR2 where it was two Chucks) but instead the 2P skin is actually Chuck Greene.

Next, you have the camera mechanic which allows you to take pictures and get PP for it, so for those of you who didn't get to experience the original DR's camera or Case West's camera, you now get full reign on that baby and man is it fun.

Finally, the first psychopath battle is a lot like the original DR2's first psychopath fight in that it involves a slicecycle, there's a biiiiiiiiig difference though.

MASSIVE SPOILERS

Spoiler:

So yeah, only the first boss fight in and OTR is already darker than the original DR2.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 2:38 am

I heard that
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 2:43 am

I knew the first part but I just assumed the latter would happen by process of elimination.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 1:37 pm

This isn't released here yet, i'll post commentw wqhen i get my internet back
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 8:52 pm

if i can sell DR2 for a good price i'll get this
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 10:27 am

Alright, more changes.

1. Chad and his wife are no longer listed as actual missions, now they are hidden survivors.

2. Capturing Snowflake is made much easier as she'll seem to go for the steak everytime she gets near it as long as you are far enough from her.

3. Brandon's fight is now a story mission and has had some changes because of that. It is now located in a bathroom in Uranus Zone, he kills the hostage he has this time so you can't save her and zombies are being pushed out of every stall in increments of three before he attacks from one of them so watch out for that.
Back to top Go down
Ace
one crazy fool
Ace

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 8:15 pm

All I did for brandon in the original was lure him out of the bathroom, dodge, hit him, and have him run away, repeat. And thank god for capturing snowflake becoming easier. That took me 2-3 hours of trial and error. I got to the point where I thought the game and internet were lying about him eating the steaks at all.

After this, seems the games an instant buy for me. Was holding out because of the free roaming concept I liked being timed. Also missed the camera.
Back to top Go down
http://gantzplayers.proboards.com/
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 9:27 pm

Ace wrote:
All I did for brandon in the original was lure him out of the bathroom, dodge, hit him, and have him run away, repeat.

That's just dumb, he's painfully easy to beat even in the bathroom.

Oh and I'm almost on Case 4-1 and so far the only major differences are that the rock band is another set of survivors who are no longer listed under missions, Randy's voice actor is now different and Frank still says some different lines. In the way of new survivors, there are some new ones at Uranus Zone who have you judge a joke contest and the loser has you pay him money. This is sort of a call back to an earlier survivor who forced you to pay him too but far more than this guy.

Oh and now instead of getting X armor or Arthur armor, you can get the Protoman armor in Off the Record.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 8:17 pm

after seeing this has a mode similar to infinity mose. i'm going to try and get this asap
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Welp, I made it to the part where Rebecca gets kidnapped but in OTR you have to collect 1,000,000 big ones for TK in order to access that mission... lovely.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 2:43 pm

I think Evan's the first psychopath I've seen to have a two-phase fight. Basically, for the first phase just bring some guns and keep your distance. He's got several attacks that are all slow as shit. The second phase is a bit more annoying because he's on his feet now and moves fast as hell but his grab takes health from him if you escape quickly enough.

For a new psychopath, he's pretty easy.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 2:46 pm

Which do you prefer thus far? This or the original? Which is your favourite MC?
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Off the Record is definitely better. That's not to say it's worth 40 bucks if you already own DR2. This has everything DR2 had besides the Terror is Reality multiplayer but has more than that.

The camera adds a faster and fun way to get PP, Sandbox mode is a lot of fun since you go wild on zombies and do challenges without having to worry about a timer getting in the way of your fun, taking Zombrex is made far less annoying now because Frank can do it anywhere compared to Chuck who had to go back to the safehouse every day to give it to Katey, there's more stuff to make and in general things just seem to have been fixed to make this the definitive DR experience.

That's not to say however that DR2 wasn't already a fantastic game. Pretty much everything OTR did was improve on some minor problems that DR2 had, DR2 is still a great game and if you've already played it and own it I wouldn't say spending 40 bucks more to kill zombies as Frank West is going to be much bang for your buck unless you're a big DR and Frank West fan like me. Sandbox mode is pretty damn close to making the 40 bucks worth it, though. It's a really fun mode that I still don't get tired of playing.

And really, if you're going to ask me if I like Chuck or Frank better, I'm not going to be able to pick. Chuck and Frank are both good characters in their own way. Frank is more of the everyman who was thrown into the situation and did what any regular guy would've done up to wasting his fame that he gained from the Willamette Incident, Chuck is more of a straight up hero who does anything for his daughter and cracks wise constantly. Both are fun characters that have great stories to watch and if Dead Rising 3 ends up becoming "Chuck Greene and Frank West fuck up zombies for the whole game" then you can bet I'm buying that in a heartbeat.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 3:40 pm

Does Frank end up with all the wrassling moves he had in the first Dead Rising game?
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 3:46 pm

Yes, it's awesome. He's got some extra stuff too, like this.

Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 6:19 pm

Oh boy, mutant zombies time.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 7:07 pm

Had more trouble fighting Boykin than I did in the originl DR2, then again I came into the fight with a bunch of melee weapons and liquor for healing so the combination of getting filled full of leading and trying to fight him while puking my guts isn't something that's advised.
Back to top Go down
Baal
Shut Up and Jam
Baal

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 9:59 pm

Okay, I take it back. After the last chapter it's definitely worth the 40 bucks. Ask any questions you want to because short of a few I saved every survivor and bet every psychopath with the exception of Deetz.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 10:08 pm

i picked this up. i'll mainly be playing co-op with my friend though. but if anyone wants me to join them for shits and giggles i'll be up for it
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 6:12 pm

Alright i played this today, i think i did the first 3 cases, honestly the game is stupidly easy if your a vet i thought taking psychos on below level 10 would be hard but i've killed every boss without having to heal much (only thing i ignored was taking any missions where i would need to get additional zombrex).

Haven't tried sandbox mode but assume it will be awesome when i'm up to a decent level.

Only thing i can't stand is stacey's new character model is offensive to the eyes, i don't know why they changed her maybe there'll be a reason later.
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 6:50 pm

the only hard thing in dead rising was infinity mode in the first
Back to top Go down
brandon
Basement Butterfly

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 8:10 pm

actually, it'd be more accurate to say the hardest thing is infinity mode. it's not that hard either
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 10:28 am

Well the bosses aren't even hitting me this time and you saw how much the bosses hit me in 2. I've yet to use a cocktail.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 5:30 pm

What are the bosses like? Big zombies? Monsters?
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 8:09 pm

Mental people
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.   Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: When good war writers go bad.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next