Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Go down 
+2
Superbuu3
Zero
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Zero
The Hero
Zero

Star Wars: The Old Republic Empty
PostSubject: Star Wars: The Old Republic   Star Wars: The Old Republic Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 8:10 pm

We get a full PAX panel on it. I'm watching it now.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/55051/star-wars-the-old-republic-pax-prime-panel/

The opening trailer looked awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
Zero
The Hero
Zero

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic   Star Wars: The Old Republic Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 9:11 pm

So I sat through the entire hour long panel and I'm rather interested, albeit this being an MMO. I think this would be one of the best games if it was a regular RPG like Oblivion, but this should end up pretty awesome for an MMO.
Back to top Go down
http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic   Star Wars: The Old Republic Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 9:28 pm

Note for an MMO. MMOs have to make a huge number of sacrifices in gameplay mechanics to make the game work. Other games will do wht this does better. The only thing this really offers is the fact its a Star Wars game but i'm not a fan of the franchise myself and the only game i liked connected to the franchise was the lego one.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic   Star Wars: The Old Republic Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 10:21 pm

MMOs don't really appeal to me.

The typically lack the convincing narrative and purpose of a single player RPG / adventure game, and while Bioware are my favourite development company Dragon Age 2 proved even they aren't perfect.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic   Star Wars: The Old Republic Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 10:42 pm

Well MMOs generally have less content then single RPGs, considerably more grinding and ridiculous drop rates on items.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic   Star Wars: The Old Republic Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 10:45 pm

plus monthly fees are just retarded. I don't see how people who play them can justify them.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic   Star Wars: The Old Republic Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 11:46 pm

ToR isn't a MMO, it's a single player RPG with multiplayer features.
It's designed in such a way as to let the player character have an impact on the universe but when you get millions of players all influencing things you have to either make everything ridiculously minor or have instanced stories for everyone.

It's going to be shit by the way, even by MMO standards.
Back to top Go down
Talking Sock
Big Daddy Boss
Talking Sock

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic   Star Wars: The Old Republic Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 2:56 am

Mad 802 Love wrote:
plus monthly fees are just retarded. I don't see how people who play them can justify them.

IIRC, if they didn't have those fees, they'd be stuck just relying on people buying overpowering junk through micro transactions, and they wouldn't be able to afford constant updates or produce new expansions to add to the game. Those fees pretty much keep those big time MMOs from being really watered down, even more intolerable grinders(like Korean MMOs...), lacking any substance to actually make those games worth trodding through.

It blows, but if they want a stable MMO that doesn't completely suck, people'll have to pay the price.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic   Star Wars: The Old Republic Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 6:40 pm

I'm hesitant to ask, but has anyone else actually bought this? Yes, in many ways it's a lot like a traditional Bioware RPG, but the few occasions I've had call to enlist outside help on tough quests, peopke have been far more accomodating than most online groups I've played with. I'm enjoying it as well, though I can't yet see how it's going to keep you glued for months and months to come.
Back to top Go down
Neo
CP9 Agent
Neo

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic   Star Wars: The Old Republic Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 6:57 pm

Nah, it's been even more of a PR disaster than Dragon Age 2 was and some of the decisions Bioware have made have been fucking retarded. Who the hell permabans a player for buying low and selling high on the ingame marketplace?
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic   Star Wars: The Old Republic Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 8:34 pm

My only alleged gripes come from how shabbily the story treats the heroes from KotOR and KotOR 2. Yes, Revan's in it, but he's a shadow of himself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic   Star Wars: The Old Republic Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Star Wars: The Old Republic
Page 1 of 1