Raziel's Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raziel's Domain

A chilled out forum where basically anything goes

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Heavenly Sword

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

Heavenly Sword Empty
PostSubject: Heavenly Sword   Heavenly Sword Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 4:29 am

It's actually pretty decent. Combat controls take a while to get used to (it's the only action game I can think of where nuetral is block), and it takes a while longer to realise how to actually fight effectively. Enemies block a hell of a lot, so most of the time you have to knock them out of their attacks or counter their hits, or use guard break strings. Stance switching and combos are nice if a bit simple. It looks really nice too. A bit better than Enslaved even (but Ninja Theory switched the UE3 for easy porting for that one).

The character are probably the most likable thing about the game though. Well, the villains anyway. Nariko is an okay MC but the little mental girl that follows you is an annoying shit. King Bohan, the main villain, is played by Andy Serkis, is brilliant (See my avatar. He doesn't get hit or anything to cause him to make that face. He's just talking and then does it out of nowhere). His various henchmen (fat guy, fish woman, bird man, etc) are fun. It's like they're from a different game to the good guys. Like a group of Power Rangers villains were dropped into a story that had nothing to do with them.
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

Heavenly Sword Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly Sword   Heavenly Sword Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 8:01 am

I really liked it. Serkis was great as Bohan, but when I tried playing it dubbed in Norwegian, it turned out that Black Pete was voicing him, and he was practically just as good, so I'm replaying it again. The villains were great, I thought the fightingwas pretty decent, and the throwing mechanic could be a lot of fun when not used for puzzles.
Back to top Go down
SimianWonder
Simian D. Wonder
SimianWonder

Heavenly Sword Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly Sword   Heavenly Sword Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 10:43 am

Isn't it really old now, as in PS3 first gen? Presumably that means it could be picked up dirt cheap?
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

Heavenly Sword Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly Sword   Heavenly Sword Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 3:02 pm

I got used it for £6 used (plus £2 P+P).
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

Heavenly Sword Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly Sword   Heavenly Sword Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 5:05 pm

It came out together with the first Resistance, I think.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

Heavenly Sword Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly Sword   Heavenly Sword Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 12:59 am

Don't waste your money simian get alpha protocol. Its cheaper and 10x better.
Back to top Go down
https://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

Heavenly Sword Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly Sword   Heavenly Sword Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 11:46 pm

This game came out in 07. It's pretty damn good too. GoW-esque and the combat is pretty deep. Short as fuck though. If you can find it for cheap you should definately get it.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

Heavenly Sword Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly Sword   Heavenly Sword Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 12:05 am

Ellis wrote:
This game came out in 07. It's pretty damn good too. GoW-esque and the combat is pretty deep. Short as fuck though. If you can find it for cheap you should definately get it.
So many games are cheap now, i've bought newer better games for less then moose played for this.

I've no idea why a game classed as average back in 2007 should be on anyone's to buy list... no offence moose.
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

Heavenly Sword Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly Sword   Heavenly Sword Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 12:18 am

I wouldn't classify this game as mediocre at all. Not the best action game ever released but its got high production values (graphically holds up to a lot of games and the voice acting is great), Awesome combat. The only downfall is that the story can get weak at times and it's very short. I bought this last year for $15 and I think it was totally worth it.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

Heavenly Sword Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly Sword   Heavenly Sword Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 am

Ellis wrote:
I wouldn't classify this game as mediocre at all. Not the best action game ever released but its got high production values (graphically holds up to a lot of games and the voice acting is great), Awesome combat. The only downfall is that the story can get weak at times and it's very short. I bought this last year for $15 and I think it was totally worth it.
You can get games like just cause 2 for that price. So thats really not very cheap.

I got alpha protocol brand new for 7 dollars and thats one of the best games i played in ages.
Back to top Go down
A_Nonny_Moose
Live Free or Don't
A_Nonny_Moose

Heavenly Sword Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly Sword   Heavenly Sword Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 3:10 am

One thing this game does that I really like, that I've not seen i any other game, is inlays. If that's the right word (or even a word at all). By which I mean part of the scene that's happening on another part of the level will be inlayed next to the player screen, like comic book panels.

Like, there was one part where I had to shoot a bunch of people to protect some injured guy who was walking over a bridge. There was the normal player screen so I could shoot stuff, and an inlay with a close up of the guy, so I could better see what was around him (since he was quite far away). The screen isn't split in half though, it's just the main screen and then a smaller box in the corner with the other display. It's a really neat idea.

The sixaxis push that happened in early PS3 games is incredibly annoying though. There's so many shooting sections build around it.
Back to top Go down
Ellis
Australianus
Ellis

Heavenly Sword Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly Sword   Heavenly Sword Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 3:23 am

The only early game to implement the sixaxis in a good way was the Resistance series. Shaking the controller to shake off a leaper/fire/tag was good and added to the game IMO. A lot of other games it just kinda got in the way (like the balancing thing in Uncharted, I play in wierd positions a lot so my controller was never level)
Back to top Go down
Kaede
Piss scared of wasps
Kaede

Heavenly Sword Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly Sword   Heavenly Sword Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 1:45 pm

A_Nonny_Moose wrote:
One thing this game does that I really like, that I've not seen i any other game, is inlays. If that's the right word (or even a word at all). By which I mean part of the scene that's happening on another part of the level will be inlayed next to the player screen, like comic book panels.

Like, there was one part where I had to shoot a bunch of people to protect some injured guy who was walking over a bridge. There was the normal player screen so I could shoot stuff, and an inlay with a close up of the guy, so I could better see what was around him (since he was quite far away). The screen isn't split in half though, it's just the main screen and then a smaller box in the corner with the other display. It's a really neat idea.

The sixaxis push that happened in early PS3 games is incredibly annoying though. There's so many shooting sections build around it.

Sixaxis shooting on the bridge was alright and really tense, but fuck it in the bum at the beginning of the game.
Back to top Go down
Superbuu3
Raziel
Superbuu3

Heavenly Sword Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly Sword   Heavenly Sword Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 1:47 pm

Portal 2 has the greatest optional inlay ever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heavenly Sword Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly Sword   Heavenly Sword Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heavenly Sword
Page 1 of 1